Autograph prices on bigger guests..

In 2010, Shatner was £35 at LFCC (and photos were not permitted at the signing desk).

Bill Dee Williams was £25 at Collectormania 20 last week (if you count him as being a big guest and this was with no posed photos at signing desk).

In general, guests charge between £10 - £15 with bigger guests between £20 - £25.

Although Ian McDiarmid's been announced for LFCC July '14 and his price at.....£70.

I think its down to personal choice whether you get an autograph at a certain price, I bought Mike Tyson autograph a few years ago for £110 on a glove. Didn't really expect him to come back, but he did. If you can afford to pay the price then you'll buy it. Ian isn't somebody i want to meet so won't be buying an autograph, but thats my choice.

• Like 1

Yeah i find it interesting really just to know what sort of prices certain guests charged and who sees who as 'big guests' and who they are willing to pay the bigger price for...i mean, those prices for sir patrick stewart, shatner etc is pretty cheap to me compared to what mcdiarmid is charging, and id consider shatner a 'bigger' name in my opinion but again thats just personal...i always been a bigger star wars fan then star trek even though i love both, but id have thought kirks signature would cost more if not the same as palpatines...

Some astronauts are quite expensive as well, certainly Buzz Aldrin has been three figures in the past but there are normally lots of different pricing options for Astronauts, depending on what you want signed, e.g. multiple sig pic, or personalisations such as Mission Name etc

I can't recall there being a Film/TV guest for as much as £70 before.

This is Ian's first Uk signing, and if i'm correct did he only just start signing at a rather larger Star Wars con just last year? So i can see why he'd want to charge that much as i'm sure the demand is there!!

Suppose it comes down to 'who do you consider to be a big guest' again :)

A

• Showmasters Admin

Just an observation but it is not the star who is charging the amount quoted. Showmasters will pay a fee for the presence of the guest concerned and then they will set the price at the rate they think people who attend will pay.

That's not always true, not every guest is on a fee.

• Showmasters Admin

Could anyone tell me how much Nathan Fillion goes for nowadays?

I've heard of a mad mad figure being thrown around for him at the moment. The issue is he's not been to a signing show (afaik) since Castle really took off (i.e. the last 2 years) so no one really knows.

If I'm honest (and this is from someone of loves Nathan to death) I'd say even with Castle he's a £20-£25 guest.

• Like 2

my holy grail autograph is mark hamill on a batman item - but because he's luke skywalker he charges approx 100 GBP at cons and rarely comes to england.

i would imagine ian mcdiarmid (or his people, management etc i dont know) charges so much because hes exclusive - youre paying for the GUARANTEE of an IN PERSON auto. if you tried to catch ian mcD to get something signed finding him and stalking him would cost more than 70 quid. hes that scarce. no someone who does public things, or many films, or stage door stuff. its cons or not at all. shatner may be bigger, but hes done so much public stuff hes not as in demand.

sometimes it appears to be about the "rarity" of their appearances rather than how famous they are.

• Like 1

Yeah good points made davey77, originally when i saw the original announcement about mcD, i was like 'hmm, would be cool to add him to my autograph collection but its abit pricey' but then i thought, i would be meeting him in person and getting the signature, where you could pay that price and upwards for a signed pic of him from a dealer or a autograph shop these days so looking at it that way it doesnt seem to be as high as i first imagined.....i think its because im just used to paying 15-25 for my signatures that anything above that seems overpriced to begin with, until i sit and think about it.

Im a big star wars fan, but i decided long ago to just collect the more famous and known characters/actors from the movies, so general rebel troops, stormtroopers etc i not bothered with, so being the emperor im thinking hes a must to add to my fett,vader,chewie,r2, greedo,bossk,wicket etc signatures

my holy grail autograph is mark hamill on a batman item - but because he's luke skywalker he charges approx 100 GBP at cons and rarely comes to england.

i would imagine ian mcdiarmid (or his people, management etc i dont know) charges so much because hes exclusive - youre paying for the GUARANTEE of an IN PERSON auto. if you tried to catch ian mcD to get something signed finding him and stalking him would cost more than 70 quid. hes that scarce. no someone who does public things, or many films, or stage door stuff. its cons or not at all. shatner may be bigger, but hes done so much public stuff hes not as in demand.

sometimes it appears to be about the "rarity" of their appearances rather than how famous they are.

The one problem you have with rare guests (particularly Star Wars guests) is that collectors and dealers make the most of it. I remember being in Denis Lawson's queue waiting for ages while the people in front got dozens of Star Wars posters signed. I would love this to be rectified for Ian by having a sensible upper limit on how many items you can get signed at any one time, but I imagine that as long as Showmasters are getting money from it, why would they limit anyone?

• Like 1

The one problem you have with rare guests (particularly Star Wars guests) is that collectors and dealers make the most of it. I remember being in Denis Lawson's queue waiting for ages while the people in front got dozens of Star Wars posters signed. I would love this to be rectified for Ian by having a sensible upper limit on how many items you can get signed at any one time, but I imagine that as long as Showmasters are getting money from it, why would they limit anyone?

I believe Jason advertised that as a one time, fill your boots (get everything done) signing. Even David Tennant's payment desk had a £45 times table on the table, going up to 20x£45 I believe

But I don't think Ian will be as busy as Denis' first signing - he rightly attracted worldwide interest - and was a modest price. Ian has done a few, the dealers have had their chance already.

Edited by TerraHawk

I would class Danny Glover as one of the bigger guests and I was expecting him to be extortionate, I forget now whether he was £25 or £30 but it was around there, I'm tempted to say £25, but either way, I remember being pleasantly surprised and as a result ended up having both an autograph and a photo-shoot with him and he was a fantastic guest!

I remember Sean Young at LFCC 2010, she was £20 which again I thought was very reasonable, I was expecting her to be a lot more too. So it's hard to tell, the prices can vary that much and sometimes you can be really surprised by them!

I would class Danny Glover as one of the bigger guests and I was expecting him to be extortionate, I forget now whether he was £25 or £30 but it was around there, I'm tempted to say £25, but either way, I remember being pleasantly surprised and as a result ended up having both an autograph and a photo-shoot with him and he was a fantastic guest!

I remember Sean Young at LFCC 2010, she was £20 which again I thought was very reasonable, I was expecting her to be a lot more too. So it's hard to tell, the prices can vary that much and sometimes you can be really surprised by them!

Yeah, I was very surprised by Glover's price as well. Incredibly cheap for such a big name.

Well TBH i have always said that i would know my limit and not pay over the odd for ONE autograph. But then we learn that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of construction of this convention (sorry couldn't resist it)But seriously though it really depends on WHO you are and how far YOU are willing to go. Everyone is different and has different opinions on who is rare and WORTH it. But as i have always been a star wars fan and in my opinion HE is rarer than an item actually being in stock in Argos,then yes i think it is worth it. At the end of the day just save when you can and just get one of him. Or if you don't want him then don't bother. But of course there will be fans who want multiples of him i for one am planning on getting three of him (i would ideally like to get five all for myself but unless i live in work its not going to happen)i am just stoked that i can MEET him and get his auto. Already there are six guests on my list and its not 2014 yet so lord knows how much overtime i need to do etc.

• Like 1

yeah ill probably decide and end up getting a signed picture from him come the weekend of the show. i mean so far there is only 3 guests that interest me so far, 2 being definites....stan lee and slavitza jovan then ian so i will just wait and see who else is announced before and go from there.

Well TBH i have always said that i would know my limit and not pay over the odd for ONE autograph. But then we learn that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of construction of this convention (sorry couldn't resist it)But seriously though it really depends on WHO you are and how far YOU are willing to go. Everyone is different and has different opinions on who is rare and WORTH it. But as i have always been a star wars fan and in my opinion HE is rarer than an item actually being in stock in Argos,then yes i think it is worth it. At the end of the day just save when you can and just get one of him. Or if you don't want him then don't bother. But of course there will be fans who want multiples of him i for one am planning on getting three of him (i would ideally like to get five all for myself but unless i live in work its not going to happen)i am just stoked that i can MEET him and get his auto. Already there are six guests on my list and its not 2014 yet so lord knows how much overtime i need to do etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Without sounding like a parrot - it just depends on the guest really - although in the 3 cons I've been to so far I haven't seen a price over £35 (that I've noticed).

I'm saving up this year - I'm sick of getting to booking day for me and then never having enough money to meet everyone I want to meet haha. This year I'm going IN!