Table Photo's

MichaelMyers

Heythere,

I'm relatively new to these forums, though have been a regular since 2004.

I was wondering if there is any chance that some of the guests will pose for photos with fans at their tables i we're buying an autograph or two - even if they have photoshoots?

I certainly hope that Collectormania would never think of trying to stop this.

Some folks, such as myself this week, have to fly off before some of the photoshoot times for guests I would like, and the chance of a phtoto at the table may sadly be my only chance.

Thanks for any advice/experience/knowledge on this :)

If possible table photos will always be allowed. There will never be a general ban. The only reason table photos will be banned if the circumstances don't allow them - like 1500 queue tickets being given out or something like that, or sometimes health reasons of a guest can be the reason. I have migraines too and the flash induced ones are so not fun.

I've noticed a definite reduction in the number of "over the table" photos in recent years which is very disappointing. The cynic in me might suggest this has come in since the number of paid photo opportunities has increased.....

• Like 1

Some guests encourage the pic themselves, would you like a picture or in one case which happened with me, 'You not wanting a picture? :('

Some guests may not be posed pics but may not have a sign up for whatever reason- just been decided, sign fallen off or been hidden by things if it's just lying on the table.

To be honest, generally we get way lesser 'over the table' photos now, compared to showmasters events even two/three years ago. :(

Certainly seemed be alot 'no posed photo' signs up at winter comic con, over half the guests on one the days I think. End day a posed pic cross the table should be seen as an added bonus.

I've noticed a definite reduction in the number of "over the table" photos in recent years which is very disappointing. The cynic in me might suggest this has come in since the number of paid photo opportunities has increased.....

You're not only cynic to think that as there's been plenty of other people to think that but SM will say they actively encourage the guests to do posed photos and when a guest says no it's usually said with 'been told I can't' so to make SM look the fallguy

• Like 1

I for one used to enjoy having s photo taken over the table as i treasure some really nice ones i have of myself and Carrie fisher and Billy Williams etc. But the last two years i have not had any done due to time constraints and the usual no posed photos sign. I find it disappointing as most of us don't want a photoshoot for time and money reasons. A few people don't like it when guests do a table shot as its free well if you want to pay for it on top of everything else that's your funeral. I always thought a table shot was a bonus after what can be a tiring hard day. After doing this for ten years if i had a shot of EVERY BODY that i met i would have on hell of a portfolio by now. And bear in mind some people come to the shows to ONLY get s photo and treat the AUTOGRAPH as their bonus. But at the end of the if you have to pay for it rather than get it for free then naturally the paying public have to take precedence,its sad really but that's the world we live in

I always ask politely and it normally works, but if they do have a sign up I respect that and don't even ask.

I have heard one or two guests when asked though in recent events directing individuals to buy a photo shoot ticket for them instead.

Personally I do love the official photo shoots, and seem to be doing more and more of these over the last few years.

When you think of events two or three years ago one thing to take into account is that back then the crowds were also smaller. More people to get through = longer lines = bigger chances that the photos get stopped.

Sort of the double edge sword to being told do everything you can to promote the show, make them bigger and better. The queues get bigger too.

You're not only cynic to think that as there's been plenty of other people to think that but SM will say they actively encourage the guests to do posed photos and when a guest says no it's usually said with 'been told I can't' so to make SM look the fallguy

There's the agents too. Better to blame the middlemen.

Edited by TerraHawk

When you think of events two or three years ago one thing to take into account is that back then the crowds were also smaller. More people to get through = longer lines = bigger chances that the photos get stopped.

Sort of the double edge sword to being told do everything you can to promote the show, make them bigger and better. The queues get bigger too.

If there's not more visitors to the show some guests would never come over because smaller shows couldn't cover the costs for big guests. See guest A and possibly have to pay for the photoshoot or not see guest A at all.

I for one used to enjoy having s photo taken over the table as i treasure some really nice ones i have of myself and Carrie fisher and Billy Williams etc. But the last two years i have not had any done due to time constraints and the usual no posed photos sign. I find it disappointing as most of us don't want a photoshoot for time and money reasons. A few people don't like it when guests do a table shot as its free well if you want to pay for it on top of everything else that's your funeral. I always thought a table shot was a bonus after what can be a tiring hard day. After doing this for ten years if i had a shot of EVERY BODY that i met i would have on hell of a portfolio by now. And bear in mind some people come to the shows to ONLY get s photo and treat the AUTOGRAPH as their bonus. But at the end of the if you have to pay for it rather than get it for free then naturally the paying public have to take precedence,its sad really but that's the world we live in

These shows started as effectively signing shows, so the aim was to get the autograph and depending on a range of things, chances were you might get a photo as well. Was that photo any good, well as someone who has 100s, possibly even approaching four figures now of photos with celebrities having been doing this for the best part of 20 years a lot of my photos, particularly as they were pre-digital cameras were very disappointing when they arrived, a case in point is my photo with Billy Dee Williams, who was very busy and is just me standing in front of the table whilst Billy signs. So this weekend I am taking the opportunity to have a decent photo with Billy with both of looking in the direction of the camera. I think you are starting to see many people now starting to choose photo shoots ahead of autos, as I think perhaps with the rise in the use of digital cameras, or more likely phones with cameras , having a photo with a celeb is now higher on peoples lists than getting a scribble. Certainly in the last few years, depending on budget I've had to make tough decisions and sometimes I have chose the photo over the auto. Now that is a personal choice of course, but overall I think the professional photo sessions that have come in over the last few years have been an excellent addition and when you look at the numbers of people that take them up over a weekend, particularly for the bigger guests.

Had a nice chat with Lance and then he asked me if I had a camera to get a pic of us. I said I was seeing him later at his photo shoot, but would love another pic too.

Had over the table photos with Judson Scott and Iain Glen too (although Iain's crew member didn't seem too chuffed when I asked if she could take it!)

Table shots are ok but they aren't always that flattering mainly due to being done over a table, not everyone gets up and comes round to your side, so I will happily pay for the pro one to be done as you know it's guaranteed to be decent and well if it's not, it can be redone straightaway now that you get the pic there and then!!!