Talks host

I assume this is the guy in area A, if so thought he did a great job and it really makes a difference to have a good host, even if he did manage to get Margot Kidder's name wrong !!!

I think having a host has really improved the talks as it often took a while to get started if no one wanted to ask the first question.

He did ask some interesting questions over the 2 days

Loved his intro to the Women of Sci Fi talk about the impact each of their iconic screen performances had had on him, although I did think Natasha looked a little bit embarassed at that one !

I think most blokes in the audience went a little red at that point too :blush:

I went to 3 talks and thought he did well and is certainly someone who's been needed as past talks have almost died a death, Tom Sizemore at summer LFCC springs to mind. Helps get things started and steps in if there's a lack of questions and trys get the crowd going at the start and did a fine job.

However, he may want be touch careful that he doesn't get into trouble with his language in future, describing himself as a slut when promoting the PS3 game before the Dr Who talk on Saturday, praised a lad for standing up to ask a question despite his clear nerves but then calling him a s**t for doing well and also some language he used in the Ladies of Sci-fi talk which even Natasha Henstridge pointed out saying children present. He's probably more than bit right that the kids probably know more foul and abusive language than him (and me for that matter) but may want watch it in case someone takes offence and put's a complaint in, bound be someone somewhere.

I thought he was very good and like others said he kept the talks going and asked some interesting questions. I saw him at the LOTR, women of scifi and Jon Berthnal talk. Very good and very funny too.

My only criticism of the talks is that they need to keep time better. I was disappointed that the free talk over-ran prior to Jon's on Sunday which meant I missed the end of my paid talk as I had a photoshoot clash. This does make me question getting paid talks again as the timings will slip and I only saw half the talk. In future I will stick to the free ones, It's a shame as Jon's talk was very interesting and I was gutted to miss the last questions. Other than that great talks - very enjoyable and informative.

I thought he was very good and like others said he kept the talks going and asked some interesting questions. I saw him at the LOTR, women of scifi and Jon Berthnal talk. Very good and very funny too.

My only criticism of the talks is that they need to keep time better. I was disappointed that the free talk over-ran prior to Jon's on Sunday which meant I missed the end of my paid talk as I had a photoshoot clash. This does make me question getting paid talks again as the timings will slip and I only saw half the talk. In future I will stick to the free ones, It's a shame as Jon's talk was very interesting and I was gutted to miss the last questions. Other than that great talks - very enjoyable and informative.

Valid point, that would have frustrated me too. Although, to be fair, sometimes it's the guests who show up late for the talks. A certain Saturday guest appeared about 5-8 mins late and the luckily the host did a decent job of keeping the crowd entertained meantime.

Did anyone else think that talk audiences this year weren't very... vocal? In Jon B's Sat talk and also the Star Trek one both Jon and host Dave were really animated and funny but everything landed awkwardly because the audience just wouldn't laugh out loud. Very few questions asked too.

However, he may want be touch careful that he doesn't get into trouble with his language in future, describing himself as a slut when promoting the PS3 game before the Dr Who talk on Saturday, praised a lad for standing up to ask a question despite his clear nerves but then calling him a s**t for doing well and also some language he used in the Ladies of Sci-fi talk which even Natasha Henstridge pointed out saying children present. He's probably more than bit right that the kids probably know more foul and abusive language than him (and me for that matter) but may want watch it in case someone takes offence and put's a complaint in, bound be someone somewhere.

Yes, I picked up on that as well I guess having kids there, did think what he said under his breath about the kid who stood up and asked the question was a bit out of order.

Yes, I picked up on that as well I guess having kids there, did think what he said under his breath about the kid who stood up and asked the question was a bit out of order.

I am always a bit tense about this. There's just no need for it. LFCC has always been the type of event you can bring families too, so the cursing and sexual references during talks always makes me a bit mad. It needs to be kept mild, IMO. There's still a way to make it fun/funny without resorting to the offensive and inappropriate. I wouldn't bring my kids to a talk because I'd be worried they'd hear something crude.