Sign in to follow this  
showmasters

Destination Star Trek Germany

My My, you are fast! You must truly like all ST actors, if you know for sure you're going while you don't even know who's coming!

If it's anything like DSTL, I'm in ;). I simply loved the atmosphere. Also the guests where great of course.

I'm convinced a lot of my favourite actors will be there, since I like quite a lot of them.

The cost of going to this con is about 1/3 of what I needed to spend to get to London, so that's a factor too :).

Am gutted it's not in the UK very upset and disappointed.Not happy....not going.. :thumbdown: :grump:

The gutted part is, of course, entirely up to you, but I think it's only fair to give all of us equal chances to attend such conventions.

Your little island ( ;) ) makes it hard for us mainlanders to attend, since it's pricey as hell. I was however thrilled to see so many non-UK'ers at DSTL.

This truely means that there's a lot of fans and supporters who will go again in february.

Edited by Vivec

Being based in Oslo, Norway, I have to travel abroad anyway if I want to go to some proper convention of any magnitude.

As such, I have zero sympathy with those who live in or close to convention Mecca London who now suddenly have to travel a bit. It's easyand adds to the experience, get over it!

Traditionally, London has been my preferred destination of travel, (mostly because I travel their five or six times a year anyway and know the interesting parts as well as Oslo), but if I had to pick another city in Europe to host such an event, I would choose Frankfurt in a heartbeat - even if I've only been there twice in my lifetime.

That the next Destination Star Trek then actually is in Frankfurt ... I have to pinch myself, as I almost can't believe it. EXTATIC!!! Already started the planning with my friend who also came with me to Star Trek London, and he was if anything even more exited about it being in Frankfurt than me.

I can't wait for this, hope the event will be heavy on TOS and TNG guests. Is it possible to hope Judge Dredd himself, NuBones McCoy Karl Urban can be convinced to attend?

The board needs to open a Guest Suggestion thread, stat!

I have to disagree with you. the UK now has 0 Star trek cons. That is why people are upset.

• Like 2

I have to disagree with you. the UK now has 0 Star trek cons. That is why people are upset.

The prices, from what I've seen as I rarely travel abroad anyway, aren't thrilling to get from London to Germany, including the cost to stay at a hotel and potential travel costs to and from the hotel (depending on distance). All in all a good amount of money already wasted before even spending any on the event itself. Also, is it my imagination or are the event's prices more expensive than DSTL?

EDIT from QS: A gentle reminder: the forum rules do not allow us to talk about other events, hence certain filters are in place. And PMs are disabled. ;)

Replied Edit: How convenient :rolleyes:.

Edited by Ixel

People are talking about hotel prices and travel prices but it will all depend to the guest list if i will go or not, i mean in the one that took place in london, Data was not announced to the last minute, and i'm pretty sure most of us wanted to meet data and didn't go to the london one.

when Data was announced, it was pretty late because the flight and the hotel prices were INSANE.

Can't they bloody announced the guests all together, so we can know if we wanna go or not?

Can't they bloody announced the guests all together, so we can know if we wanna go or not?

It'll never work like that. Guests are signed up when possible and contracts organised etc. If they waited for 'all together' then you'd probably just get them all at the end, and no one would go..

It'll never work like that. Guests are signed up when possible and contracts organised etc. If they waited for 'all together' then you'd probably just get them all at the end, and no one would go..

Brilliant - do that, then I can have them all to myself... :whistling:

I would imagine English - Not sure but wouldn't have thought everyone giving a talk would be able to speak German. That and the companies promoting them are English. could be wrong though...

David,

Then, they can work on it the guest list starting a year ago, get the contracts organized, then get every guest ready to the announcement day which was yesterday. Then announce them all at once, so people will again have enough time to arrange their visit and also on the good side, they will know exactly who are coming to the event as star trek guests... so everyone can decide if the guests to our liking will be there or not :)

I know it's not at your hand to do this but i hope you can relay my message to the event organizers for events next year or so.

cheers.

This really should be in the UK where we do not have an annual convention :grump:

This really should be in the UK where we do not have an annual convention :grump:

The Netherlands does not have any ST related cons at all, but you don't hear me about this... If I'm not mistaken, the UK had the LFCC, and I believe sometimes ST actors/actresses are going there as well?

You have PLENTY of annual conventions in England, both by Showmasters and non-Showmasters organizers. In fact, NO ONE else in mainland Europe comes anywhere even close to the regulratity and scope of conventions in the UK, and outside of San Diego, London is arguably the convention capital of the world. Each year, thousands of fans from all over the world travel to ENGLAND because there are no conventions in any proper sense of the word closer to their homes.

I would understand your reaction if the London Film and Comic Con or some other sizeable annual Showmasters or non-showmasters wit any level of history suddenly got moved to Germany or anywhere else for that matter, but that is not the case here. Destination Star Trek London was a one off, not a new annual London event. The next one takes place in Germany, if there is one after that, who knows where it will take place? Personally, I am good as long as it as near a main airport. That you feel "it should have been in London" really comes of as kind of spoiled when you look at the bigger picture. No offense, but its true.

If you want to go to this event, you have to take the journey, same as thousands from abroad do to get to the UK events each year. It isn't difficult, not at all that pricey, and only adds to the experience. Plan it properly, and you can make an event out of the trip, far greater than the convention itself. Also, the Frankfurt Messe is a heck of a lot easier to find than any of the London venues, as is accomodiation in the immediate proximity. Or if taking that short and comparitvely low cost journey to Frankfurt is too much a hassle, then don't go. This is all voluntarily. All the annual UK events are still there, every last one of them.

C'mon everyone...let's not fall out over where this is being hsoted. It's in Germany, and the next one (if there is a next one) will no doubt be somewhere else in Europe.

I too would have liked it to be in the UK, purely because that's where I live. But I fully recognise that non-UK Star Trek fans want the same i.e. it to be hosted in their country. So the fact it's gonna be in a different country each time does seem to be the fair thing to have done, even if it means I have to travel and spend more IF I want to go.

I do want to go. And actually having done my math, the cost isn't too disimilar for me personally i.e. cost of flight this time v's cost of train last time, cost of hotel slightly cheaper this time, Euro to GBP exchange rate etc. That won't be the case for everyone of course. So it's a personal decision as to whether you can afford to go this time or not.

Either way, let's all just celebrate that there is another DST whether you're able to go or not...because after some of the bad press last year, the organisers could have decided not to bother.

• Like 1

I'll echo the other comments re: complaining that it's not in the UK. Please don't. Showmasters have organised a huge amount of events in the UK over the past decade or so, and they always have people travelling from all over the world to attend.

It must be nice for some other country to get something a little more local for once. It's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry I believe people have a right to air their dissatisfaction. Dstl was good but a lot of crew (especially if a voyager fan) either couldnt attend or weren't invited so there are a lot of main trek cast people didn't get to meet and now may not.

• Like 1

You have PLENTY of annual conventions in England, both by Showmasters and non-Showmasters organizers. In fact, NO ONE else in mainland Europe comes anywhere even close to the regulratity and scope of conventions in the UK, and outside of San Diego, London is arguably the convention capital of the world. Each year, thousands of fans from all over the world travel to ENGLAND because there are no conventions in any proper sense of the word closer to their homes.

I would understand your reaction if the London Film and Comic Con or some other sizeable annual Showmasters or non-showmasters wit any level of history suddenly got moved to Germany or anywhere else for that matter, but that is not the case here. Destination Star Trek London was a one off, not a new annual London event. The next one takes place in Germany, if there is one after that, who knows where it will take place? Personally, I am good as long as it as near a main airport. That you feel "it should have been in London" really comes of as kind of spoiled when you look at the bigger picture. No offense, but its true.

If you want to go to this event, you have to take the journey, same as thousands from abroad do to get to the UK events each year. It isn't difficult, not at all that pricey, and only adds to the experience. Plan it properly, and you can make an event out of the trip, far greater than the convention itself. Also, the Frankfurt Messe is a heck of a lot easier to find than any of the London venues, as is accomodiation in the immediate proximity. Or if taking that short and comparitvely low cost journey to Frankfurt is too much a hassle, then don't go. This is all voluntarily. All the annual UK events are still there, every last one of them.

I meant we do not have a pure and total Star Trek convention.
  • Like 1

I think everyone should stop arguing its in Germany deal with it I'm not very happy about having to travel all that way myself it's going to mean a lot of sacrifices for me between now and then but I'm still going although I do hope they have worked out some of the problems they had last year come on guys it was the first one they had issues and for the most part they solved them, I would have liked to have seen maybe 1 talk ticket included with the silver package it would have softened the blow for me but hey hoe Christmas is coming my husband is buying my ticket my grandma is paying for my hotel my sister in law and mother in law are paying for my flights so all I need is food and spending money I hope everyone makes an effort and goes to Frankfurt we may not have any Star Trek conventions but we still have 2 world wars and 1 World Cup lol (please note I am joking I love Germans it's just a saying I apologise if anyone finds it offensive it's not intended to be)

the Frankfurt Messe is a heck of a lot easier to find than any of the London venues
Although probably not from Howie's profile location of "N.London". :smile:

I will confess to being somewhat embarrassed by the overdeveloped sense of entitlement that some of my fellow Brits seem to be expressing. People travel from all over Britain, Europe and the world to get to events in London, usually with little fuss. A little travel ourselves shouldn't be that much to ask occasionally. It's only Frankfurt, not Jupiter. Explore the options carefully and you can probably get there from the UK for about the same as somebody from Scotland or Newcastle pays to get to London.

I would also suggest that travel most definitely broadens the mind, and there's some here that would definitely benefit from that :smile:

• Like 1

I have travelled a lot Tommy as has Howie. We are not criticising others we are expressing our dissatisfaction when some of us spent a lot of money last time and would like to see an established UK trek convention. I know travel broadens the mind but in your case we'll never know.

We are not criticising others we are expressing our dissatisfaction when some of us spent a lot of money last time and would like to see an established UK trek convention.
I assure you that the thousands that travelled from all over the world to DSTL, some from as far away as South Korea, spent from as much to a whole lot more than you did.

I'm sure there is a place somewhere on the Showmasters forum fit for expressing your dissatisfaction that the UK hasn't got a Star Trek specific annual convention (to go alongside all the other annual ones you do have where a range of Star Trek guests and themes are always present), but this isn't it. Destination Star Trek was a one off, if there was to be another one, having it in another city was always in the cards. It was never intended to be an annual UK thing.

Yes well it's called free speech and for the record the UK event had massive sales so at the very least our annoyance is because of our passion for a regular event in the UK.

• Like 1

There is no annual Star Trek convention in the UK.Yes some Star Trek actors attend SM events but so do many actors from many other genres.