Apollo Astronaut completion fees and extra words

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Hello everyone

Further to the avalanche of questions i have had on the subject.

Here are the completion fees and extra word fees for the Apollo astronauts.

Base price will include

Signature, mission and a named dedication if wanted

Crew completion fees will be base price plus £60

Extra words or inscriptions will be at £5 per word

Dave Phillips

Quite surprised to see these fees as from my experiance with all the other astronauts I have met at Autographica Buzz Aldrin was the only one so far charging for extra words and I guess he can because he is the most famous one and such a iconic figure and has his placed marked in history as being part of the crew of the first lunar landing.

If I understand this correctly and this includes all the Apollo guests now I am to be honest a little disappointed as I think the fees set for just the autograph are fair and extra words should always be free or it just gets very expensive and goes beyond what they are really worth on real market value.

This is a hobby after all not a money making show .

I fully understand it costs a lot for these guys to come over and see us but these last bit price changes dont help when you have been looking forward to a show for ages and now have to start deciding on buying less autographs from other guests to compensate for extra astronaut words.

Edited by 90degnorth2010

To be fair astronauts making additional per word charges for quotes, inscriptions etc is not uncommon at other signing events so this isn't anything unique to Autographica. If anything I would say we have been quite fortunate in recent years with Autographica that a lot of the astronauts have just had a flat rate base fee and have added extra bits at no extra charge.

I would also say that the base fees we have been paying recently seem to be extremely reasonable in comparison to signing fees at US based events, especially when you take into account the additional costs etc that would be incurred to bringing an astronaut across the Atlantic. I think Dave, Jason and Paul deserve a lot of credit for not only continuing to bring these guests over to the UK but also to do so with comparatively reasonable signing fees.

I guess none of us are looking to pay for more than we need to at events like this, but its worth remembering that the charging structure will mostly be dictated by the astronaut themself rather than SM and at least by posting the information in advance we all know what the score is before the event. My own view is I would rather know for sure that I will definately get what I want even if I have to pay a bit more now so I can make sure I budget accordingly.

• Showmasters Admin

Hello Guys

I think the count has covered most of what i would reply to.

at this show we get a huge amount of not just collectors but autograph dealers. That is what the show is all about.

Now everyone knows that extra words mean the item is worth more money, and this applies if you are a collector or dealer.

I have had many many requests for the astronauts to write inscriptions on their items and this is the fairest way to do it.

The Base signing fees are after all at this show way below what you will pay anywhere else.

just trying to keep you all informed and up to date .

Dave phillips

Hi Dave

Regarding extra words...I appreciate that inscriptions with Apollo quotes or mission number etc can give an item added value. However, and I have said this several times before on this forum, when someone asks for a DEDICATED autograph the value of the signed item (photo or whatever) is diminished. It would be nice if the signer could acknowledge this by not charging extra for dedications. By all means charge for other inscriptions, but not dedications.

The first time Buzz visited Autographica I took my three year old boy with me to get a signed and dedicated photo from Buzz. If my memory serves me right, the base autograph was £80 and it was an extra £10 for a dedication; an extra £10 for an inscription and a further £10 for the mission. Me and my son had already met Buzz when he appeared at the National Space Centre a few months earlier, however at that time he was only signing his then new book (without any dedications). I already had my dedicated autograph from Buzz from a previous encounter, however I was keen for my son to meet him and get a dedicated photo. We paid £90 for a dedicated autograph ('To Sam, Buzz Aldrin'). A copy of that photo is on my son's bedroom wall and the actual photo is safely tucked away out of sight and light. If I had wanted it as an investment then I would not have had it dedicated but I wanted it more as an 'inspiration' for my son. Surely the signer must realise that dedicated autographs are (usually) worth considerably less than non-dedicated autographs.

I do think twice about getting dedicated autographs. Notably my son also has dedicated photos from Alexei Leonov and Helen Sharman...both of which were lovely to meet and did not charge for any 'extras'.

Am I the only one who thinks dedications should be 'free' and included in the base price?

Michael Green

Base price will include

Signature, mission and a named dedication if wanted

Unless I have mis-read the above it looks to me as if personalisations/dedications are included in the base fee for the astronauts at this show. I think the only astronaut who does charge for them is Buzz but it has always struck me that he does have a very unique way of looking at the world!

Hi Guys just hoping someone can just confirm what I my understanding is here, Dedications e.g "To XXXXX From Gene Cernan" are included in the base fee? I Guess I am getting confused here because on the pre-order page it states that you must include personalisation for a fiver?

I have already Pre-ordered a set of the 3 Apollo Autographs but thought I may treat myself and order another 3 dedicated ones. I just wanted to be clear about the dedication/personalisation thing as what I read here and is printed on the pre-order page seems to be conflicting?

Thanks for any help!

• Showmasters Admin

Hi There

It's not intended to conflict.

Pre orders are different from going to the show and getting them yourself.

We charge an extra £5 for personalisation because it takes longer to get and is more involved.

on the day you will not be charged for dedications.

dave phillips