General Chat

bunnycure

I know this has been discussed loads before and valid reasons noted, but I just can't help wishing that CM Glasgow was held more than just once a year -_-

me too. Winter CMG please, showmasters. :D

A winter one was done at the very start of these events in Glasgow some five years ago sadly it was not a success, it didn't help that it was right at the start of the financial crisis admittedly

I know this has been discussed loads before and valid reasons noted, but I just can't help wishing that CM Glasgow was held more than just once a year -_-

A winter one was done at the very start of these events in Glasgow some five years ago sadly it was not a success, it didn't help that it was right at the start of the financial crisis admittedly

aww that's a shame.

i'm considerig going down to newcastle in march at the minute, but i think i'll wait until nearer the time to decide fully.

• Like 2

aww that's a shame.

i'm considerig going down to newcastle in march at the minute, but i think i'll wait until nearer the time to decide fully.

I've actually been checking the dates too :)

aww that's a shame.

I've actually been checking the dates too :)

Im def going to go down to the newcastle show (as long as they have some decent guests) its only a couple of hours down the road :D Edited by dodef

They could even do a collectormania Edinburgh or Aberdeen. I do feel that a second show is warranted for Scotland give the turnout that is obtained when decent guests are booked. Fingers crossed Jason and his team will see that there is a huge fan base up here and people have money to spend.

I understand the demographics though, London has a larger population than Scotland but....with the right marketing and advertising there is more than enough scope up here for a second show!

• Like 3

I can't speak for all the crew but for me the logistics of getting up to another show in winter would be impossible with Belfast, London and Cardiff to do on top of real life. Glasgow was a nice relaxed show and it would be lovely to see everyone in Newcastle in march

• Like 3

lol. We should organise a bus :)

If a few want to go down I am happy to drive, have a pretty roomy car that can very comfortably fit 4 adults for a long drive or 5 if you dont mind a bit less room in the back lol

• Like 2

yea, even hiring a mini bus for a few of us if someone is licensed to drive one? (or do you not need a license, might just have been at uni you had to do a test to hire one?) would depend if everyone wanted to stay both days or not though, as that could cause problems...

• Like 1

I had a really great time last sunday,It was alot more relaxed than last year and Burn Gorman,Armin Shimmerman and Chase Masterson were lovely to meet and were good with my 3yr old nephew,I was also surprised to see the funstock retro games area and the tardis photo shoot was awesome,I also got some great bargains at the stalls,I truly cant wait till next year mayby i could talk to my sister into going to newcastle in march lol,I was just saying to my mum that it would be great if we could organise a minibus i think it would be fantastic idea :smile:

I would love CM to be held twice a year. Obviously both events spread apart like March and October not November and January haha. But ah i cant wait this long. Hopefully in the future tgere will be two CMG because i would go to both ;)

So would i,they held it twice a year once in 2008 one in august and another one in december but i dont think then one in december did too well,but i agree mayby holding it in march and october would be good :smile:

• Like 1

I would love CM to be held twice a year. Obviously both events spread apart like March and October not November and January haha. But ah i cant wait this long. Hopefully in the future tgere will be two CMG because i would go to both ;)

So would i,they held it twice a year once in 2008 one in august and another one in december but i dont think then one in december did too well,but i agree mayby holding it in march and october would be good :smile:

But that was in 2008. 6 years ago.

A lot can happen in a year, let alone 6. During 2008 i started to watch The Sarah Jane adventures then onto Doctor Who. Last year i met David Tennant then realised all about conventions about meeting your TV legends etc. I think in 2008 (compared to now) Sci-Fi wasn't as popular as it is to now. I had never heard of conventions let alone Showmasters events. The reason i will be coming to every Collectormania Glasgow event is because of lot's of reasons

• It's well prepared, everyone knows where everything is (which was great considering i was new to this)
  • Everything was spread out decently. It didn't take long to notice where everything is

and the main one

• Its the only convention in Scotland

Yes there may be a few small conventions but none as big as this with good guests and good comunication with the crew. There isn't any conventions in Scotland hence this is getting bigger and better every year.

I don't think we can judge it by 2008. Again a lot can happen in 6 years. I think with the ammount of people at this years event, i think it's ready. I remember reading the reason we can't have the likes of John Barrowman and Karen Gillan is because the venue is to small. What if we had another event for the big big guests in a bigger arena? SECC? Doesn't neccarly need to be in Glasgow, Edinbrugh? I think there's lots of places it can be. I also think it's ready

All it would need is a rare guest (By that i mean someone like Peter Davison, he rarely does conventions. He is goping to a convention in England next year, and because he is a rare guest i'm willing to travel down there because he rarely goes to conventions. All it would need is a big guest and advertismentm, but if the guest was that big, i think they would be advertisment.

Sorry if this post seem's rushed, any typos or that. I probabley haven't made sense but i am in the school libaray and rushing this as fast as i could.

I think two events could work.

• Like 2

All Showmasters can do is look at the popularity of the show last year, look at the money made and compare it with this year. I know the reason why the show was so busy last year but it's not up to us, it's up to them. You just need a few names to sell the show, it doesn't need to be crammed top to bottom with big names nor will it ever be and lets be honest, a lot of really big names are getting older. A lot of them soon wont be able to do conventions, not just here but the world over and I think in the UK we will be forced to go the way of the rest of the world and start relying on new shows with younger actors and new stars coming along. The future really is going to be very different and the future is in hit TV shows...as much as I'd love it to be horror. That is where all the good writing is, it's what people tune into all year now. It's no longer just August-December. I can see a lot of stuff that's been going for the last 3-5 years turning into the next big franchises. Game of Thrones and Walking Dead got there very quickly.

• Like 2

Agreed, we also need to bear in mind that the financial crisis had just hit in 2007 which had the direct consequence of people scaling back on non-essential purchases such as holidays, conventions etc. With the UK economy now starting to recover and grow it might be an idea if we do not judge the possibility of 2 shows per year on an "experiment" that was conducted in 2008 in these unprecidented times. Also bear in mind that collectormania itself was in its infacy back then, I myself did not attend a show until 2010 as I had never before seen it advertised or heard it spoken about. The only way to grow a successful business is to take calculated risks, nobody has ever set the heather on fire by playing it totally safe. Jason if you read this I emplore you to give this some consideration. I know you from Rebelscum (toy toni scandal) and I know you have a great business head on your shoulders I really do think that there is a great opportunity for you to fill a gap in the Scottish convention market. If you do not then someone else will, this show are also doing conventions at the SECC (which do not even compare to the collectormania events as far as I am concerned) and I am sure they are thinking about expanding their show. As per the feasibility raised about a winter show in Scotland, nobody is asking for a winter show. I personally think a show in March / April then in late August would work well. Far enough away from Christmas on both sides for people to have some cash to spend! :)

In the immortal words of Jim Morrison from Waynes World

"If you book them, they will come"

ps - please leave the weird naked indian behind lol

Joe

A lot can happen in a year, let alone 6. During 2008 i started to watch The Sarah Jane adventures then onto Doctor Who. Last year i met David Tennant then realised all about conventions about meeting your TV legends etc. I think in 2008 (compared to now) Sci-Fi wasn't as popular as it is to now. I had never heard of conventions let alone Showmasters events. The reason i will be coming to every Collectormania Glasgow event is because of lot's of reasons

• It's well prepared, everyone knows where everything is (which was great considering i was new to this)
  • Everything was spread out decently. It didn't take long to notice where everything is

and the main one

Yes there may be a few small conventions but none as big as this with good guests and good comunication with the crew. There isn't any conventions in Scotland hence this is getting bigger and better every year.

I don't think we can judge it by 2008. Again a lot can happen in 6 years. I think with the ammount of people at this years event, i think it's ready. I remember reading the reason we can't have the likes of John Barrowman and Karen Gillan is because the venue is to small. What if we had another event for the big big guests in a bigger arena? SECC? Doesn't neccarly need to be in Glasgow, Edinbrugh? I think there's lots of places it can be. I also think it's ready

All it would need is a rare guest (By that i mean someone like Peter Davison, he rarely does conventions. He is goping to a convention in England next year, and because he is a rare guest i'm willing to travel down there because he rarely goes to conventions. All it would need is a big guest and advertismentm, but if the guest was that big, i think they would be advertisment.

Sorry if this post seem's rushed, any typos or that. I probabley haven't made sense but i am in the school libaray and rushing this as fast as i could.

• Like 3

and the main one

I totally agree with your post,i would love to have two events in scotland and as you and dodef said the second show could be a collectormania edinburgh,i think part of the reason it didnt work 6 years ago is the economy at the time plus glasgow had just started,i think since then the show has grown and has a massive fan base and last year showed if they have one or two big guests the crowds will come,have the one show in march/april and the other in september/october,i truly hope we will two shows a year again sometime it would be awesome :smile:

Edited by carnosoul
  • Like 1

and the main one

I totally agree with your post,i would love to have two events in scotland and as you and dodef said the second show could be a collectormania edinburgh,i think part of the reason it didnt work 6 years ago is the economy at the time plus glasgow had just started,i think since then the show has grown and has a massive fan base and last year showed if they have one or two big guests the crowds will come,have the one show in march/april and the other in september/october,i truly hope we will two shows a year again sometime it would be awesome :smile:

Exactly, one or two big guests and everyone will be hearing about it. Scotland has so much potential, it's not like anyone has not heard of Scotland with the referendum coming up and half the actors on Doctor Who being Scottish :P

Just out of curiosity, has Tom Baker ever been to CMG? I know he's went to CollectorMania in Milton Keynes at least twice in '07 and '12

I don't think so but i think he is a very good guest who i'd love to meet (maybe next year, you know before it's too late :) )