Cosplay

carnosoul

I'm going to be lazy this year, I'm afraid. This will be my second year, last year I was White Mage Yuna from FFX-2, and to be honest I felt awkward wandering around Primark with people staring... I am a fan of the venue and the fact it's attached to a shopping centre ;). I am going to re-use my Clannad summer uniform skirt (which has dungaree-like straps) and I'm going to accessorise with a red t-shirt and a Mario hat. Can you gues who I'm going to be? I will however be taking a change of clothes for when I want to wander the shops, but I will change into my Harley hoody, so a partial effort. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Has anyone had a cheeky bugger make a remark about your outfit??

I once got told I obviously didn't realise it was a Star Wars convention, and who was I ment to be anyway!

I was of course a zombie! :S

Again zombie costume, it wasn't cheeky just kinda annoying a few folk seemed to think I was two face, I could understand if I only had the zombie make-up on one side of my face, but I had effects, blood and a very gory ripped shirt on so I wondered what version of the character looks like that??!!

I also got one kinda weird request, that I had to decline and shuffle away from that situation. I kinda was hoping they were just havering a laugh, but it was a very awkward situation.

Generally though the vast majority of folk are polite and typically a bit nervous about asking, and it was always fun to be a bit zombie about putting them at ease and showing them it's just for fun.

( Reverend thing = Long story.
Short version : Universal Life church = Legit thing where you can be ordained online. I can marry people :P )

Cap'n - You sign up at the Cosplay desk, providing reference pice and music if need be.
Then you go on stage, show off your costume, tell the host a bit about it, and hopefully win some schwaaag.

( Reverend thing = Long story.

Short version : Universal Life church = Legit thing where you can be ordained online. I can marry people :P )

Cap'n - You sign up at the Cosplay desk, providing reference pice and music if need be.

Then you go on stage, show off your costume, tell the host a bit about it, and hopefully win some schwaaag.

Hmmmmmm, someone mention swag. I don't like the idea of a singing and dancing Davy Jones but I like the idea of earning some doubloons for me costume

You don't need to do a skit - Usually, you'll just come out to your chosen song, and answer some questions... But being as any time I've judged, we've marked on craftsmanship, accuracy and performance, being in character can sometimes tip the scales towards a win if two costumes are of similar quality and resemblance to the reference material.

Due to me being a lazzzzyyy butttt, i need to change my plans once again.
Saturday (if i finish it and have the courage to wear it, jessica nigiri i'm not.) I will be Mad Moxxi From Borderlandsmoxxi_by_tsukinohikari69-d5b9jda.jpg

Sunday I will be wearing a remake of an old costume, Lulu from FFX
Lulu.jpg
Sorry if the pics are too big.

• Like 2

I was thinking about how a lot of the Cosplay at the Glasgow events seem to be Anime-orientated yet whenever ive ventured elsewhere in the UK theres been a real Movie character scene too, from Henry Jones Jr & Snr to Kevin Flynn and the Tron Sirens to Jokers v. Two-Faces!.

Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this and maybe knew how come? Is anime uber-popular in Scotland than elsewhere?

I understand completely that everybodys different, with my personal preference being i dont like Anime/Manga and so forth, and as such would love to see a greater number of people follow in the footsteps of last years fantastic MOVIE/TV characters such as Wolverine (Ra'Zen), Governor (Carnosoul), Zombie (Brian) and a special shout out to mini-Iron Man (VodkaWrestling i think?), and do cosplays from the Movies and TV side of things.

Always good to see the Doctors and Tardis's (Tardi?) walking around too...

At CMG id love to see more Tron, Resident Evil, Friday 13th, Stargate/Trek, Superheroes - Batman/Spiderman/Watchmen represented, i really would.

Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part..

Finally, please dont think i am in any way meaning to deride or take away from those that DO go as Anime characters cos some of them are absolutely fantastic to see and the standard of work every time is mind-boggling from those folks - its just that i confess each year, theres more and more people walking around as characters from things ive never heard of before, and i cant keep asking people "Who are you meant to be?"

haha :whistling:

• Like 3

thanks modern day prophet i was scared nobody knew who i was lol :smile: all the costumes at CMG are great and the work that goes into them are fantastic they are truly amazing artists,i would love to see more people cosplay as tv/movie characters from the walking dead,friday the 13th as like you i dont really watch anime,ive always thought about going as jason vorhees but too late for this year mayby next year lol :smile:

• Like 2

Okay, modern_day_prophet, been thinking on your post. It is a good post, and brings up an interesting point that makes me think, so kudos to you. As for what you mention... It could be that anime does offer a lot more potential for cosplay, due to often having more elaborate costumes and so forth. That being said, there are a good number of tv and movie based cosplays happening, looking back in this thread.

Mind you, like you said, it's just fun walking round and seeing all the amazing costumes on display and seeing how brilliantly people put themselves together for these conventions. It's a great thing, and I hope it continues because yay for fun and cosplay.

It would be cool to see a cosplay of something that's not usually cosplayed in the UK. Like ... Bill and Ted! I would fan so hard over Bill and Ted cosplayers. (Excellent!)

• Like 1

Yes! More giant robots needed!!!

Seriously though, I would say Anime is pretty well represented outside Glasgow too I saw loads in the LFCC and a few other events too.

Mainly it's the huge popularity many of these shows have with the younger crowd and it tends to be for reasons such as colourful, obscure, and creative. Many of these characters have some amazing weapons/props and the build side of things seems to be a big

reason too.

Biggest reason is there are social media groups for loads of these shows so you know a few folk will turn up as characters from the same thing, it defiantly makes that the biggest deciding factor I would say.

The main annoyance for me is I actual do love Anime & Manga yet rarely know the more obscure characters (though I don't watch most of the popular shows around) I am a huge Battle Angel Alita fan and would love to see that represented!

I was playing around with a few ideas for something different this year and my top two was Lord Voldemort or Arrow though unfortunately seems highly likely I won't be able to make it this year :'( mainly down to money as I'm going down to Warner Bros Studio in London the following month and my Harry Potter obsession requires that I'm able to buy a sufficient amount of merc. (A wand is number one must have, oh and I MUST try some Butterbeer!!)

• Like 1

Woooo a few more of my Mad Moxxi Components were shipped. Just need to add stripes to the jacket and cell shade the clothes, finish the megaphone and get a wig.
Lulu i'm waiting on a new corset to add fur to and re arange the beltt skirt and make new hairsticks.
Coming together :3

• Like 1