Cosplay

carnosoul

Nice one, buddy.

Im a huge fan of Stargate and always feel that the Glasgow one is a bit under-respresented when it comes to SG1, Atlantis and Universe in both guests and folk cosplaying as characters.

So itll be nice to see someone flying the flag for the franchise and dressing up!

Going as anyone in particular?

Proud to say i went as Col. Young in 2010 to Glasgow as my first foray into Cosplay :thumbup: !

Probably leaning more towards the Daniel Jackson side of things, if for no other reason than I wear glasses and don't look like McGyver haha! This time will probably be a fairly rough draft with it being my first shot into putting something together for a convention, but with any luck it'll go well enough and things will improve as I spend more time on it!

• Like 2

The laws relating to the carrying of replica weapons are tied in with "breach of the peace" - In short, if you carry it in a public place and cause fear or alarm, you can be arrested ( Or shot, if you're REALLY stupid! )

Being as conventions like Collectormania are on private property, and prop weapons are part of the expected proceedings, you're fine once you're inside... But make sure you have a decent bag to carry your kit to and from the event.

Ideally, odd as it may sound, NOT a rifle-bag. A 2-zip holdall that you can put a wee lock on is ideal - And I'd advise that you put a wee printed note inside on top of your gun explaining what it is.

You might hear people try to tell you that "If it's got a red tip, then it's legal" - That's utterly false. Red tips ( "Blaze Orange", actually ) are an American legal thing, and irrelevant in UK law ( albeit some con organisers include mention of them in their rules, because they've believed the wrong people! )

The only mention of a gun's colour in UK law is in the Violent Crime Reduction Act - Wherein it's illegal to SELL a Realistic Imitation Firearm to someone who isn't both over 18, and a member of a properly insured Airsoft skirmish site or re-enactment group.

Confusingly, it doesn't matter whether the gun is actually capable of firing BBs - the definition of a Realistic Imitation Firearm is basically "It is gun-shaped, gun-sized, and gun-coloured". So even if it's solid plastic with no moving parts - It still counts.

Imitation Firearms ( Note no "Realistic" ) are also known as 2-tones, and must be at least 51% brightly coloured. It's legal to buy these once you're over 18, even if you don't have a smirmish site/reenactment group membership... However, spraypainting them black or silver is classed as "Manufacturing", and is also illegal ( Again, unless and until you join a site/group ).

Hope that helps - If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Here's a link to the UKCM's carry rules:

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11540

Great thanks!

I've actually made some progress with my cosplay, which is surprising! I'm about 3-quarters of the way there with my blades, but here's a progress picture:

tumblr_n92pacLvls1tbztoyo1_500.png

I'm quite proud of them, since they're the first cosplay props I've ever made.

I've got almost all of my cosplay ready, just need to grab a shirt and style my wig a little, but apart from that I'm nearly there. I'm surprised; usually I'd be working on my cosplay on the morning of the con, haha.

Fingers crossed my blades won't break any weapon regulations; they're foam board so they can't do any damage but...let's hope!

• Like 2

Quick question to the cosplayers, how do you find random people coming up to you at the cons and asking for either a picture or a picture with them??

This is my first big con, was at the Glasgow Comic Con at the start of July and I was in awe of the effort some people had put in but felt really embarrassed about asking them for a picture as I felt I might be intruding, being a non-cosplayer.

Honestly? It's only happened a couple of times to me, and each time I've felt... well... touched that someone liked my cosplay enough to get a picture of it. Basic idea when asking for one is to be very polite and not pushy, though. Also watch the creep factor, and don't initate hugs or anything without the cosplayer's permission. (Sorry, but there has been more tales floating round sites of creepy behaviour towards cosplayers. It's never happened - to my knowledge - at CG, but still)

But yeah, basically, it's lovely to be asked!

Ended up buying the Merida bow and arrow from the Disney Store; cosplay went down a treat at LFCC so I'm looking forward to seeing how it will do in Glasgow!

I was replying myself when Zara's post appeared- And yeah, costumers/cosplayers WANT photos to be taken. Why else do we spend so much time making our gear?!

Just make sure you DO please ask if we're not already posing or obviously in-character - Helmet off, having a sandwich, sitting on the floor having a rest... that kinda thing, we don't want pics taken of!

• Like 1

Quick question to the cosplayers, how do you find random people coming up to you at the cons and asking for either a picture or a picture with them??

This is my first big con, was at the Glasgow Comic Con at the start of July and I was in awe of the effort some people had put in but felt really embarrassed about asking them for a picture as I felt I might be intruding, being a non-cosplayer.

This will be my first cosplay ( once I work up the courage)

So seek me out lol. I'll need all the support I can get lol

This will be my first cosplay ( once I work up the courage to actually get costumised)

So seek me out lol. I'll need all the support I can get lol

If people are polite and stuff, it's one of the best things about cosplaying! I remember the first time someone asked for a picture of my cosplay - it just felt amazing to be recognised and appreciated and stuff.

However, I've had a few people get too close for comfort, and I've had to move away mid-photo because I don't even know where they're trying to put their hands, but apart from that, unless people get touchy-feely or take pictures in situations where they haven't asked (like half-way through a double cheeseburger or trying to fix a wig that's fallen off) it's really great !

• Like 1

They love the army over there. You should have went to Texas. " We wanna thank yaw'll for what yaw'll have done for our country and letting us live freely, yaw'll are the true heroes" lol. No no no. What you should have said is, "No, thankyou for all you have done supporting us. We've seen some tough things over there but we're heading back over and like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood we're gonna find the bad guys and put them behind bars where they belong gosh darnit!" You would have had them in tears.

• Like 3

Unless we have a Xeno to hand, the UKCM sometimes get "OOH! STARSHIP TROOPERS!" or "OOH! G.I. JOE!"

Mind you, Abe the Alien once got "OOH! DARTH VADER!", so, y'know... *Shrug*

Yikes! Last year at collectormania some dweeb dressed as doctor who came up to me and said "my mates jack costume is better than yours.......can I get a picture with you" haha I was gob smacked at the audacity of this fool I politely told him to F off!

• Like 2

Totally haven't been on here for a while. But guys I'm so excited it's next month! Finished my K9 bag the other day (will post pics in a bit), and all I need to do now is style my wig a bit and order a petticoat!

Question: what do you guys use to style your wigs?? Someone suggested PVA glue and water mixed in a spray bottle. I've only ever used super strong hairspray before but I want to do a bit more to this wig x

• Like 1

@jadelouised Erm, for styling the wig... I actually don't know. I believe hairspray is usually the best bet, but again, I can't be entirely sure never having had to wig style myself before. Sorry, I can't offer much help ><

@DrunkenMonkey As long as you're polite, you'll likely go home with a load of photos. (But yeah, wait till after lunch). Also: don't be sheepish! Okay, that's rich

coming from me, but believe me, the atmosphere of the con will get to you and you'll be grinning as much as the rest of us.

@CaptainSparrow Don't think I've ever had a cheeky remark made to me. Probably had some comments behind my back but *le shrug*. Also can't believe someone would come up and say that to you! Rude much? Seriously, do people forget the basic idea of being polite or something sometimes at conventions?

@Claymore61 You are going to do brilliantly! I cannot wait to see your costume!

A month left people, looking forward to it! Hope it's a bit cooler on the day though than it is right now.

Ahhh a month left?!

I don't even know what I'm wearing! DB

Yang I think for a friend's wee one is going as Ruby (sisters). If I finish either then maybe Korra or Assassin's robes. If not I don't even. Maybe Velvet or Scarlet Witch.

As for cheeky remarks about my outfits. Never had anyone be nasty, but some total perv told me I "Smelled delicious" when I was wearing Scarlet Witch.

I'll be sure to inform Impulse how nice their £2 deodorant smells.

• Like 3