Do you want more bigger named guest at CMG ?

showmasters

Actually TerraHawk, you'd be very surprised to learn just how many big major blockbuster stars have homes around Scotland, the bigger the name the more likely they want someplace scenic and out the way. London is great for the busy husstle though you can't beat Scotland for it's quiet hideaways with amazing highlands and lochs.

I'm sure Jason never intended this on being a London vs Glasgow topic, so let's try to steer away from that if possible. The idea is to make Glasgow as good as possible.

Lets be honest, its not that, theres no point.......Glasgow would always win ;-)

The event looks great. Hope its a sucess and continues :-)

• 2 weeks later...
There would be uproar if Showmasters announced a huge guest for Glasgow only. No way would the English travel up to Glasgow. The truth of the matter is not only are they used to events on their own doorstep, but they don't have the kind of money required to travel 5+ hours or stay in a hotel room. All their money goes on the events and because it's in their own country, it all works out fine.

But the rest of us? Well we need to travel sometimes. That's just what happens. We don't mind public transport or staying in hotel rooms, especially if you're in a city centre then you get to see all the .....things going on lol. That's all it comes it down too. They don't know what it's like to travel anywhere, they don't know what it's like to book accomodation. We shouldn't judge them for it.

I'm English. I'm very English. My sister-in-law did quite a bit of genealogy, and apart from a French great great gransdmother, I have a terrifically unexotic family tree of English forebears. And worse than that I'm south-eastern English. I was born and have lived my entire life (save a six month spell in South America) within fifty miles of London; 11 of those years I actually lived in London. So I guess I must be the epitome of these English people who apparently don't know how to travel...

In the last 12 months, I have in my own leisure time travelled to Glasgow for a specific event. And to Edinburgh. And to the scenic loveliness of Kinross. In the same period I've also been to the West Midlands, Lancashire and Yorkshire. And San Francisco. In the next few months I'll be going to Glasgow again, and Manchester, and Birmingham, and Skegness and Norwich and northern California. In the last decade I've travelled in my own time and at my own expense to events in Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle, Cardiff, Swansea, New York, Boston, Chicago, the West Coast, a variety of other places around the Great Lakes and in New England. To France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Norway, Australia. Many of them more than once. I've gone by plane, train, bus, hire car, my car, taxi. I've aaranged my own transport every time, and my own hotels or other accommodation. I've travelled alone and in conjuction with various friends (all English, bar one Scot "in exile" down here :-)) - as many as 20 of us on some of the UK trips, and often with anything between 1 and 5 friends on the foreign trips.

Believe me, we English do travel; I didn't come to Glasgow to see Robert Englund this past weekend not because I'd already met him or because I expect he'll be turning up on my doorstep any time soon, but because, super bloke that he apparently is, I have no interest in his work. And I have nothing against the Scots either; on the contrary, every time I've been to Scotland I've had nothing but good times and a friendly, welcoming reception. It's just I had something else on this weekend elsewhere I'd committed to. (That I travelled to. By public transport.)

It's a shame the arena isn't bigger, because this year showed that with a few more good names to the guest list you can attract the bigger audience. The area for comic artist and photoshoots helped things a bit, but that's the limit of the venue really.

There would be uproar if Showmasters announced a huge guest for Glasgow only. No way would the English travel up to Glasgow. The truth of the matter is not only are they used to events on their own doorstep, but they don't have the kind of money required to travel 5+ hours or stay in a hotel room.

apart from being racist and stupid, that's utter cac. it's like saying no one from up North would travel to London ~ i've lost count of how many 6hr+ drives i've done, usually there and back the same day.

don't have that kind of money? that's a bit snobby isn't it? are you saying we're all poor? or that hotels in London are cheaper than elsewhere, because the only reply i can give to that is, i don't think so.

if you have a huge guest, fanboys and fangirls will come no matter where, it's that simple. it would be AWESOME to have something closer to my end of the country, because believe me i'm getting REALLY hacked off that bands etc only seem to play 5 dates on a tour now and the nearest to me is about a 3.5hr drive.

• Like 1

I'd love to see bigger names come to Glasgow and I'm sure that fans would travel. It's ludicrous so suggest they wouldn't. Brahead is too small for a much bigger event with A list stars so a move to the SECC would probably be in order. Personally I think it would make complete sense. Get the hall booked and fly in the big names. If you host it, they will come. :smile:

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone

wow there never seems to be much happiness on here when things are going well , everyone should just chill and be happy that the events are going the right way, the big change for this event is being able to shear flight costs between both events and this has helped us get some of the bigger names you want to see at the glasgow show, it next year we are going to go for more bigger guests for this event and build on what has been achieved over the past 7 years.

as to size of the hall well we have lots of planed , and the space we used for the comics zone is mirrored over the other side of the hall and we will be using that next time as well as the upper bar platform where we used to have the parties in the past and there is where we plan to put some of the bigger names which will help make the hall flow better .

so its all very good for the many fans in scotland and we will keep on working to improve the show and give you more things to see do and people to meet next year.

see you all very soon and thanks for coming to the show and making it what it is year :-)

jason

• Like 2

• Showmasters Admin

I'd love to see bigger names come to Glasgow and I'm sure that fans would travel. It's ludicrous so suggest they wouldn't. Brahead is too small for a much bigger event with A list stars so a move to the SECC would probably be in order. Personally I think it would make complete sense. Get the hall booked and fly in the big names. If you host it, they will come. :smile:

Hi Hamicus

we will not be moving to SECC as car parking is expensive, the hall cost 3 times the amount so the entry cost would have to double so thats not a good option, next just booking in lots of A list guests and it would just work is just not true , why ? well the big guest we had this year, if they were to just attend this one event they would not have covered their fees or the flight costs , but sharing the costs between Cardiff and Glasgow did work so that between both events they will cover their fees , so just booking big guest moving to a bigger venue is not going to make it work, in fact this will just break the bank for this show and it would not be sustainable and the event would just close like it had before we came along , so we will do it the way we have for the last 7 year slowly and surely build up a great event and gradually growing it into an event that everyone finds fun, affordable and something that will last and be there forever.

we may play it safe but you have to agree we are getting there and CMG has a a good future with many more guests to come over the next few years :-)

thank you all for your support

jason

Edited by Rhianydd
  • Like 2

Apparently there are plans in place for Braehead to expand quite a bit with an extension to directly link to Xscape as well as a new improved arena. So hopefully if those plans are approved then ShowMasters will have a much larger area to work with.

I do much prefer Braehead as a venue, SECC isn't that great, bigger yes but overall though Braehead will always bring a large crowd that are going regardless of the event or are unaware of it. That's always going to help bring in curious shoppers and allows those attending to get out of the arena and do other things without too much travel.

Hopefully now that greater crowds can be expected GCM will utilise all the space available to ensure the queues aren't overly crammed.

Absolutely can't wait to go again next year, and I'm already going to start saving to ensure i can afford everything.

Hi everyone

wow there never seems to be much happiness on here when things are going well

I disagree, I have hardly seen any negative feedback with regards to this year's CMG. Bear in mind most of the comments on this thread (some of them a bit silly) were entered before the event. Personally I thought this was the best CMG so far by a mile and I have been happily supporting this event from day one. I am happy with the Braehead Arena. It is the home of Collectormania Glasgow as far as I'm concerned. No problems parking my car and easy access by bus from Paisley. Also plenty of seats so we never see the complaints of 'nowhere to sit' on the Glasgow forum. As a Braehead Clan ice hockey fan I might be slightly biased however. :smile:

Let's bring on CMG 2014 :dance:

• Like 3

I agree that Braehead is a much better venue than the SECC. My only concern was the size of the hall as it did get far too busy with little room to move. I read the plans for using seperate parts of the hall next year and this would make a great difference. I'm well aware of the cost of flying in guests from America and putting them up, I've done it myself but my comment was aimed more at people who assumed fans would not travel from elsewhere in the country to Brahead. If they're real fans of course they will. I'm glad to see the event heading slowly but surely in the right direction and hope this years huge turnout bodes well for next year.

my comment was aimed more at people who assumed fans would not travel from elsewhere in the country to Brahead. If they're real fans of course they will.

Some would certainly, but its a bit unfair to say you're not a real fan if you aren't prepared to travel 400 miles. By that reasoning you'd fly 5000 miles to meet a star if you were a real fan. And some do, because they can.

Even now in a locked (as its somewhat redundant) thread you have someone asking if some of the Cardiff guests can come to London too. So you are saying they aren't real fans? Other things get in the way of being a fan.

Edited by TerraHawk

Some would certainly, but its a bit unfair to say you're not a real fan if you aren't prepared to travel 400 miles. By that reasoning you'd fly 5000 miles to meet a star if you were a real fan. And some do, because they can.

Even now in a locked (as its somewhat redundant) thread you have someone asking if some of the Cardiff guests can come to London too. So you are saying they aren't real fans? Other things get in the way of being a fan.

I didn't say that and you seem to be getting bothered by something that wasn't even inferred. Of course many fans are unable to travel, it's expensive. My point was and still is a simple one. Don't assume that just because an event is North of the border that fans won't travel because they will. It's assumptions like that that has prevented many events and conventions being considered for Scotland in the first place.