Do you want more bigger named guest at CMG ?

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

So over the years we have had lots of attendees say how they want more bigger named guest to attend this event, well this year we have pulled out the stops and given you all just that. We want to be able to give you even more but we need to see that there is an audience for these guests as we need to cover their fees and flights. We need your help as normal to help promote the show to others and new people, we you may well know every year we spend thousands of pounds promoting the show when this money could be spent on booking more guests and their flights, but we have to keep on spending so much on paid for ads, so help us to help the show and you by letting as many people as you can know about the event.

This is why LFCC as really big names, as the fans buy tickets in advance and tell lots of other people about the show and as that's been happening for many years now that show has gotten bigger every year for the past 5 years. We want to grow CMG but we so need all your help to do this, with your support we will do our bit to make the show into a much bigger event and all that comes with it .

We have linked up some of the bigger guests with the upper class flights into Cardiff and Glasgow to help reduce the costs of getting them over to the UK and this does help but we have also seen so many people pre booking tickets for Cardiff, mostly new fans to these events. We really need to do the same for Glasgow so we have the confidence to go for more guests and bigger ones there was well, so lets all try to get more new fans into this show than ever before so we can have the confidence to book the guests into it that we really want to.

We are all looking forward to am amazing weekend with you all :-)

Not long now

See you all very soon :-)

Jason and the team

Half and half on this i love what your doing and it's really great to have GCM more in line with the bigger events though i do strongly believe this event has something unique that's nothing to do with guests.

Obviously it's still really cool to see guests that we all know and love,i also like that we tend to get the more rarely seen guests.

I also would really like to see bigger names too as long as the event keeps to its current location, i don't actually think making GCM the equivalent of LFCC would work totally rather more an idea for a future show separate from GCM though not instead of or at the same time as GCM.

Always happy to promote this event, though i have sent several e-mails asking for flyers without any reply I'm more than willing to send out a good number to help get the word out.

Edited by Brian Cairns

Cardiff is showing good bookings because it's only a couple of hours outside London on the train and therefore attracting people from that area (myself included) who can get there and back again in one day.

Glasgow is just too damn far to go without incurring hotel accommodation costs - even an event in Manchester might be more attractive to get to.

• Like 1

I'm liking the bigger names this year, bigger names will always attract a bigger crowd!

As you say, word of mouth is you're biggest friend here, social media is a powerful tool at the moment and done right can create a great buzz for your events!

Having a seperate twitter account etc... (Which many people, myself included would love to run for free) solely for this event aswell as the main accounts to help promote could do wonders by just getting the word out that bit more!

Based on experiences and through talking to others a lot of people don't pre order entry tickets etc as its generally always quick entry and you can walk up to guests tables to get autos with little hassle.

Imagine if you's could pull off having some really top notch A listers to attend Glasgow I'm sure it would convince people to travel and pre order to make sure they get too meet that one person that's not been to London due to work commitments when they may be quieter 2 months later!

Maybe finding out about some travel routes from around the UK and advertise these as options for people to look at on the forums and the main site may be one idea as for people that maybe look and then say "hmmm.. It'll be a bit expensive to get there" but if you could show them reasonable prices they may change they're minds. I've booked for WLFCC this week with the bus £15 from Glasgow to London and the same price for the return journey! I also used booking.com and got a triple hotel room within 10 minutes of the event for £84 including VAT between myself and 2 friends!

I personally don't like braehead, only accessible if you drive or can get a bus from your area or city centre. Somewhere like the SECC which has a dedicated train station with great links accessible from central station and queen street station in my opinion is good but then this would increase costs for you which is something for the future maybe.

Some people like the aspect of a quiter show up here as we get a little more time to interact with guests, free to look around stalls without people pushing their way past, some great intimate talks and the fact you can sit down on the seats at the side is a plus!

I have no doubt this will continue to grow as an event over the coming years and this year I think will be the start of people really taking a big interest in the guests and for people who eventually hear about it afterwards will be gutted they missed it and pay more attention for the next event!

Thanks Jason and all the crew.

Looking forward to a great event in a few weeks! See you's all there!

• Like 2

Cardiff is showing good bookings because it's only a couple of hours outside London on the train and therefore attracting people from that area (myself included) who can get there and back again in one day.

Glasgow is just too damn far to go without incurring hotel accommodation costs - even an event in Manchester might be more attractive to get to.

It's a shame you feel that way, as i made the effort to go down to London Film and Comic Con just for the day without too much hassle or cost, though obviously not the ideal solution for everyone as i would most likely want to find accommodation in future, simply pointing out it is possible.

Many from Glasgow and surrounding areas make the trip the larger cons, and though that may be for the big names i do feel this year in particular has shown many who are more than happy to make the trip up.

Scotland is lacking in conventions so we don't need to see any getting moved elsewhere, i love the fact i have this one nice and local it'll always remain my top priority before any other conventions or events.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm liking the bigger names this year, bigger names will always attract a bigger crowd!

As you say, word of mouth is you're biggest friend here, social media is a powerful tool at the moment and done right can create a great buzz for your events!

Having a seperate twitter account etc... (Which many people, myself included would love to run for free) solely for this event aswell as the main accounts to help promote could do wonders by just getting the word out that bit more!

I really can't see having separate accounts for different events would be a good idea. It's just going to separate the followers etc, and dilute it even more. And I'm not just saying that because I run it ;)

We're already trying to build it up as it is. To be honest, looking around at other similar organisers they all work in the same way. I think it'd be quite confusing separating it all out.

While social media is useful, it's also about getting the balance right. I can't stand accounts who are OTT and lose followers all the time because they're advertising too much and begging for shares etc. It's all about managing it reasonably. But the number of followers we get for LFCC etc who will then see about Glasgow or whatever works well.

Sadly I think it's always going to struggle because it's Glasgow and there's no amount of advertising push that can change that. Certainly not compared to London anyway. Glasgow will succeed in its own way and grow at its own speed.

• Like 1

Haha, I ment an account to link people to the main account you keep updated, (very well I must say!)

I forgot about the amount of events SM run and how this would come across if there was an account for every one, this would be very messy and probably too confusing!

I understand about the OTT, I can't stand some of the crap that comes up on my feed sometimes so I just un follow.

I think the appeal of London is very strong as many people come down to see the sights and spend a good few days whereas Glasgow is bit less appealing, especially for those travelling from outside the UK!

Glasgow is a great event and is something I look forward to every year, especially as I get to talk to some people I don't see that often!

i really like the guest list this year with its mixture of a couple of bigger named guests and the comic guests and photo ops are great plus too,i understand it will never be as bjg as lfcc but with this year and next and its unique atmosphere it will grow into its own special event,ive posted flyers around town and a poster on facebook fingers crossed a few more will attend :smile:

• Like 1

we you may well know every year we spend thousands of pounds promoting the show when this money could be spent on booking more guests and their flights, but we have to keep on spending so much on paid for ads, so help us to help the show and you by letting as many people as you can know about the event.

Maybe at events you should do a paper questionnaire. Market research. Something for people to do whilst queuing in the mornings. Make it a free prize draw, give them an insentive to fill it in. Ask them how they heard of you, are they on the forum, how they hear about new announcements, how much they'd pay for the biggest guests that sort of thing. If you are spending 1000s of pounds and it only makes 5% difference, there's a potential saving right there.

I only see the SFX mags. And its usually a case of 'well he's cancelled' or 'they must have known about her weeks ago, to get her in print by the dealine, why was she only announced online yesterday?' so I'm not sure how productive they are anymore.

we have also seen so many people pre booking tickets for Cardiff, mostly new fans to these events.

New to your events perhaps, but I'm sure you are aware Wales is no stranger to hosting events. Its good that you are doing a Welsh event too, the region needs more.

It's a shame you feel that way, as i made the effort to go down to London Film and Comic Con just for the day without too much hassle or cost, though obviously not the ideal solution for everyone as i would most likely want to find accommodation in future, simply pointing out it is possible.

Many from Glasgow and surrounding areas make the trip the larger cons, and though that may be for the big names i do feel this year in particular has shown many who are more than happy to make the trip up.

Thats the thing though, you've had to put the effort and money into travel, its just part of the equation, you barely think about it. For those in the South East, travelling beyond it can take a lot more convincing. Why put in all that effort when theres a good chance the guests concerned will come to you eventually? Get a major first timer, there might even be resentment.

As I'm in the South West, London, Birmingham, Cardiff all about the same to me. But North Wales, or further North of Birmingham I would take major convincing.

• Moderators

London is always going to be London. Simply it's far easier to get to for most people within the UK, and brings people from all over the world. Sadly Glasgow is always going to suffer from lacking in that sense. But it's better to have a solid consistent event than nothing :)

• Like 2

I'm doing the Wales Con for my first time. I did look at the Scotland one but was a little unsure about it. Travelling from London was part of the issue, Wales on a train or fly to Scotland. I looked at the flights which I couldn't find anything I liked. I Booked Wales as Doug Bradley was booked to attend from Hellraiser. He was then cancelled so I thought I wont bother but guest have been added and it now looks a good Con. Wales has a lot to offer so getting there a day before I'll be able visit a few places. Not sure what Glasgow has so would have to Google it first. I did think about taking the six hour train up on the day and return home the same day but getting there at Midday would be a issue as I only do Photo shoots and would probably miss the guests I would like to meet. So for the time being Wales look good for me. Maybe things will change......

Why put in all that effort when theres a good chance the guests concerned will come to you eventually?

This is what you are fighting against Jason. We in Scotland have made huge efforts to get down to shows in England (not just Showmasters shows), but the people down South don't care about coming up. Imagine if all the people who came to LFCC 2013 from around the globe had that kind of mentality? "What's the point? They will come here eventually if we ask often enough."Anyway, I am really looking forward to the bigger guests this year in Glasgow. It's going to be great. To get a bigger attendance and folk buying tickets in advance, it will end up having to move to SECC. It's the logical choice if it's to ever expand.

but the people down South don't care about coming up. Imagine if all the people who came to LFCC 2013 from around the globe had that kind of mentality?

It's pure practicality. They (I singled out South East, I'm South West!) are spoilt by so many events. But when you get used to having everything on your doorstep, why go further? If there's never anything on your doorstep, you just accept you have to go further. Which I do. Routinely.

And its not just a North/South Divide. Amount of American Star Wars fans moaning when an official event's run outside the States not to be sniffed at. Even East coast complain when somethings on the West coast. Mindyou that's a far greater distance than our tiny little Island :D

Edited by TerraHawk

Why put in all that effort when theres a good chance the guests concerned will come to you eventually?

We in Scotland have made huge efforts to get down to shows in England (not just Showmasters shows), but the people down South don't care about coming up.

Its not a matter of wont - its can't for various reasons. Time, transport and the amount of money it would cost.

Other than that for me, its the same guests that are attending Cardiff anyway and that's just down the road from me.

London is always going to be London. Simply it's far easier to get to for most people within the UK, and brings people from all over the world. Sadly Glasgow is always going to suffer from lacking in that sense. But it's better to have a solid consistent event than nothing :)

Not sure i agree with that statement, London to Glasgow is just as easy to get to as is Glasgow to London. It's just a matter of London being a bigger city with lots more to offer, though Glasgow and surrounding areas always have plenty on offer for anyone, plus of course don't forget the fact your in Scotland so a trip up to the wonderfully scenic highlands isn't as far off as you might think. Many that go to London spend a great loads on big guests ect, so for many cash definitely isn't an issue, i don't think outside events even get there consideration which is a shame, there missing out on an experience not just an event.

London is the capital of the UK. It's where the big productions are, it's where the big TV shows are filmed, it's where celebrities stay for work so naturally there will be a London event and naturall people in England will go to it. There would be uproar if Showmasters announced a huge guest for Glasgow only. No way would the English travel up to Glasgow. The truth of the matter is not only are they used to events on their own doorstep, but they don't have the kind of money required to travel 5+ hours or stay in a hotel room. All their money goes on the events and because it's in their own country, it all works out fine.

But the rest of us? Well we need to travel sometimes. That's just what happens. We don't mind public transport or staying in hotel rooms, especially if you're in a city centre then you get to see all the .....things going on lol. That's all it comes it down too. They don't know what it's like to travel anywhere, they don't know what it's like to book accomodation. We shouldn't judge them for it. We should celebrate the way we are in Scotland. I don't think any huge guest would matter to Glasgow because the people in England would 'assume' they would be going there too. They wouldn't feel the need to travel up here. I know another organiser is meant to be doing something similar, or trying to, I haven't heard anything in months but I always suggested a horror movie/cult movie themed convention for Glasgow because they are areas that are not being touched upon strongly enough in the UK. Plenty of horror cons in America, I don't see why a 2 day thing over here wouldn't work as well and when it comes to cult movies, that doesn't just mean old movies, you could argue that most guests you already invite to the show are in cult shows, shows like Doctor Who for example which is very popular. Movie screenings, premieres, cast reunions. You wouldn't need to compete with LFCC because the event would be bringing in a different crowd anyway and you'd be bringing in guests from Doctor Who and Star Wars and all these other franchises that have stood the test of time and they are cult. Not to mention there is a very famous Festival in London in August every year and there is many big actors attend them due to them appearing in the movies shown.

I think the fact Robert Englund has worked with Showmasters all these years has shown there is an audience for the horror genre. From what I heard Danielle Harris was kept busy last year too at LFCC. It doesn't need to be a big major event like LFCC, it just needs a hook and people love the horror movies. I even did it for Danielle Harris, I went and did what most people wouldn't do, I paid my travel, I went to London mainly just to meet her and I did it because I knew the chance of her popping up anywhere else in the UK was slim to none. So i had to do the work. Now that I've said that she'll probably never come here again but at least I went and met her. Imagine if that could be said more often for a guest. If i don't go and travel to see this person, will I get the chance to do it again?

• Moderators

Not sure i agree with that statement, London to Glasgow is just as easy to get to as is Glasgow to London. It's just a matter of London being a bigger city with lots more to offer, though Glasgow and surrounding areas always have plenty on offer for anyone, plus of course don't forget the fact your in Scotland so a trip up to the wonderfully scenic highlands isn't as far off as you might think. Many that go to London spend a great loads on big guests ect, so for many cash definitely isn't an issue, i don't think outside events even get there consideration which is a shame, there missing out on an experience not just an event.

I didn't say London to Glasgow/Glasgow to London were different. I said that London has far more options for getting to, which it does.

I have been a vocal critic on the guest line up in the past. I felt the last two years were particularly poor. Showmaster s explained this, lack of autograph pur chasing etc.

This year has been a marked improvement and I think there is a great variety and Lance,Robert etc are know faces to the more casual fan.

I have never been of the belief that Glasgow would rival London( which I attend every year) and think this event will be a great success.

I think the event has moved in the right direction and I commend all involved.......cant wait to meet Bishop :dance:

• Like 1

@DavidB ok, fair enough though your choice of words was "easier to get to" not "more options for getting to", though even then you have train, bus, plane & boat if you really wanted to option wise for Glasgow what more do you really need? It's not some greatly inaccessible place like a lot of folk like to make out, it's not difficult, out the way perhaps though as pointed out all the UK is much smaller in comparison to the US we really aren't as far away from one another as many seem to imagine.

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 1

it's where celebrities stay for work so naturally there will be a London event and naturall people in England will go to it.

And you also have to get those actors up to Glasgow, and take care of them. Rather than them just pop home round the corner. So If a guest was £15 in Glasgow to offset that cost, but only £10 in London, is that fair to everyone? Edited by TerraHawk

it's where celebrities stay for work so naturally there will be a London event and naturall people in England will go to it.

And you also have to get those actors up to Glasgow, and take care of them. Rather than them just pop home round the corner. So If a guest was £15 in Glasgow to offset that cost, but only £10 in London, is that fair to everyone?

What???

That makes no sense......of all the guests at London lived round the corner???

Lena Heady stays in LA, dont think Norman Reedus of Danny Glover stay in Peckham...I may be wrong!

• Like 3

Just as many potential guests live around Glasgow and Scotland as well as further afield. You really think all these guests just live around the corner of any event waiting around for someone to request they join? You'd be bumping into the stars everyday if that was he case!

• Like 1

I think the venue also limits who will attend,

Maby you should try holding it in say a more accessible location like the secc,

And advertising maby spend a bit more on this?

Yes word of mouth is great but it costs not very much to hire a poster space on a train in a train station ect.

I run a train station and have in the past offered to put a poster and some flyers out, but got no responce.

I know there is a section for getting this stiff now and printing out to help.

But i do not have the facilities to do this.

Bit near the event now but sent an email to see about some posters.

Edited by Sorock

And you also have to get those actors up to Glasgow, and take care of them. Rather than them just pop home round the corner. So If a guest was £15 in Glasgow to offset that cost, but only £10 in London, is that fair to everyone?

What???

That makes no sense......of all the guests at London lived round the corner???

Lena Heady stays in LA, dont think Norman Reedus of Danny Glover stay in Peckham...I may be wrong!

I didn't say ALL of them - those larger ones don't tend to be £10 either ;) . I was talking about guests in general. If you look at London events in general I'd say most UK folk tend to be one day guests - they might have early starts but most will have homes to get back to, rather than hotels. And even your bigger guests are more likely to have property and agents in London than Scotland, its simply the nature of the business. But if organisers pay for flights they want to get as many days signing out of their guests as possible, they need to bring in as much money as they can.