Showmasters - What happened to the Gaming guests?

I've asked like 5 times now without getting an answer but hopefully some day?

What happened to this "new aspect of the show"?

this is the first of our gaming guest to attend this years event , and the start to a new aspect to the show , more to come on this very soon.

We got Charles Martinet and then nothing happened. And I was really looking forward to this!

Edited by rogerxy

• Moderators

Unfortunately plans can change. It may have been the case that some were in place that ultimately fell through and couldn't attend etc, or other opportunities came up that meant this wasn't possible anymore.

Sadly this can happen. Hopefully Charles was successful and we'll move on with gaming related guests in future still.

They are always working on guests up to the very last minute. They usually don't update with "it's not going to happen" unless they are 1000 percent sure it is not going to happen. What David said above is very likely what happened. Plans didn't go through.

There's never been posts like "we approached guests A, B, C and D - A wanted too much money, B rather went to his daughter's birthday party etc." if you are looking for something like that. Such details can cause way too much backlash. SM will simply try to approach the guests again for another show. From what I've seen Charles was a very popular guest, so I am sure any effort is made to get more game guests in the future.

With all due respect, speculations are not what I'm after. I want answers

And if it would be the case that plans didn't go through, I would have expected some sort of information from SM that they could only get one single guest to their haussed "new aspect of the show".

I don't expect detailed information about what guests they have been trying to contact. A Simple "We tried to get some gaming guests but in the end we only managed to get one, sorry for getting your hopes up" would have been enough.

Edited by rogerxy

@rogerxy

I'm usually the first to be bombarding the Guest Suggestions threads with my ideal show lineup. And while I'm sure SM are busy trying to meet everyone's expectations with a good variety of guests, it really is impossible to please everyone.

Current TV shows, old TV shows, Game guests, Wrestling Stars, 80s movie legends, current movie guests, comic book writers and artists etc etc. There's only so much they can do at any one con. The lineup page on the website is kind of a "What You See Is What You Get" kind of situation, and even then, guests can cancel. Nobody is there until they're actually there.

And then you can add to that the planning element - I'm sure it's a huge undertaking to plan these events. I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

So with all respect, I think they have enough on their hands getting the event together without having to inform the community every time someone "cannot attend." I think personally it would be kind of odd if we got an announcement on the forum saying "we asked X and Y to attend, but they can't, so sorry." The less we know about such things the better.

They planned to expand into game guests, it didn't work out. So, there's always next year....?

My headline guest at LFCC cancelled roughly a month before the event. I wasn't happy, but no biggie. I'm sure she'll attend another, and there was plenty else to see on the weekend.

• Like 1

Eh, what? What has that got to do with anything?

What this is about is something that was announced by Showmasters (NOT suggested by me), never happened and not a single word about it. A few lines about it in a post, I can't really see how that's asking to much.

But apparently I'm the only one here who cares about the promised gaming guests. I wonder how people would react if SM announced that many Game of Thrones-guest are going to be added to the line-up and then not a single word about it after that and no GOT guest added.

Unfortunately it seems like this question isn't even important enough to be dignified with an answer :(

Edited by rogerxy

Eh, what? What has that got to do with anything?

All I see here is SM trying to get certain guests and not managing to do it, which happens at every event. Nothing worth getting upset about.

Edited by crazydan182

They did have other gaming guests. I got a great Armin Shimerman Bioshock autograph , they had Courtney Gains from Wing Commander 3, and they also tried to get Claudia Black who was a big star in Dragon Age. I think there were a few more as well.

SM got guests who have done both video games and films/tv so these guests appeal to lots of people. I am sure there will be plenty of more gaming guests in the future.

• Like 3

OK firstly I will agree hyping it up a little to much on here for different things for a while on here, ok yes trying to drum up a buzz is fine but claiming a new aspect on the show. And then not following through in at least pulling a good list of who and what to see on a single page was an error. Also at one point someone did say it would be possible, that more than one person would be taking part in the talk again this didn't happen.

I was pleased with the array of guests but I had to dig through to find them this is something that needs to be worked on.

Use the site and some tools to pull in wiki, imdb and giantbomb data. Pay someone to work on a crawler that will collate this infomation for each guest.

I was very pleased to have met the voice of Mario, Andrew Ryan and a few others over the weekend. It was nice to also find sitting next to one of the guests who wasn't headlined as a gaming guest who actually knew something about the games.

Whether people want to count those who happened to be there or not I don't care but the information just wasn't easy to find I had to spend a good few hours checking records of each guest to find who is and who isn't featured in a game I'm interested in, in a role I want to know about or just adding to an existing signed item from other events which ever it maybe.

If Showmasters want in increasing number of people to spend money don't make us the visitor to have to dig arround, one two guests on there info page had games listed be consistant!

It's sad to see firstly people have forgotten that they did claim this is only a start of a new aspect of the show, not future shows but the one ended last weekend. Second its sad to see that visitors interested in this new aspect had to dig about so much to find them, if I found out after that I missed for example the voice actor who was in Bioshock 1&2, lots of the Ratchet & Clank games along with Mass Effect and other games.

Everyone looses out someone doesn't get the money and the visitor misses out on the chance to meet them ect... This needs to be worked on, get the information pulled in from other sources to save everyone time.

In future if promising a new aspect of the show, and making it sound like its only the start for that one up coming event get updates posted.

I'm happy overall though even though I did have to miss meeting Charles Martinet on the Saturday after having to return to the queue many times over to be told a later and later time on that day. I'm glad I decided to give up and return on the Sunday as he was the last one left for me to get for the weekend, I went to both talks and got a photoshoot along with a few items / pictures signed that was awesome as he did some special sound writing on my item :)

Let this feature of the show continue, the game bus was ok but the wired controllers were not the best idea for a dark bus and the featured game was not readily available but I did get to play it even though it was a confusing mess of a game as it wasn't starting in the tutorial stage. Get some of the publishers and devs down in future and let the visitors have some Q&A with them.

Edited by GamerGraph

Charles Martinet was a fantastic guest, great to meet him and really enjoyed his talk. I've never known anyone write so much on a 10x8 and do the voices of the characters as he was doing it as well.

The Games Bus was fun but not a lot on there for younger kids, although we did have some good fun playing a demon of Lego Harry Potter , other than that Sonic seemed like the only other game they had in terms of age appropriate games. When we went back in the afternoon seemed to be mainly groups playing HALO, so might be worth in the future splitting the decks, there were certainly quite a few families with kids that came on the bus when we were playing Harry Potter who would have appreciated a bit of a sit down and some lego game fun.

Personally, I think I preferred the games set ups from previous shows , where you could play some old retro games, perhaps if there is a Games Zone in the future we could have both ? There certainly would have been room for it at the back end of Earls Court 2. As to the other voice guests, well I guess Showmasters asked and they couldn't make it, but as others have said a number of the other actors there have voiced characters in Games. Certainly Armin Shimmerman has done a lot of voiceover work for Games, but I guess he was there mainly for DS9.

It would be good to see a more focussed area in the future with the opportunity to play the games and the games voice artists in a more defined area.

If it is something that grows have a seperate VIP package for gaming :coolthumb: Get guests to bring some swag from there company if they have frequent access, and have posters signed by different dev teams of games on auction / bundled into the vip package.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...