peter dinklage security

I met Peter at the end of the day on Saturday and he was rolling autographs out ~ it was very busy, and we were worrying we wouldn't make it through before 6pm lol. I enjoyed meeting Peter :)

I'd never offer to shake anyone's hand ~ I find it too personal myself so if anyone wants to shake my hand (Jewel Staite,) then fine ~ I follow through but it's not something I ever expect. Dealing with crowds of people crowding you in at cons is one thing, it must be a bit much when you're having to actually meet them too ;)

• Like 1

the security team we use are one of the best personal protection teams in the UK they look after the Dalai Lama, some heads of state , Elton John , Paul Mccartney, they are all ex forces and are retrained after leaving the forces for protection work," They are the best ", there employer is Showmaters we give them direction of whats needed and then they go over the the "client" IE the "guest" and go over what they need in way of security, a pre brief go's over any past issues that may have occurred with a guest and a plan of actions is agreed and how things are to be executed and then put into action .

These guys know there stuff they are the real deal and they stay in the background and only ever intact when they feel they need to, they see things most of us do not , things like body language etc , we leave them to there work as they know what they are doing , we have never had a issue were they have overstepped the mark ever , so if they start up a conversation with you its cool they are just doing there job and making shore everything is ok and if they do not understand something they have seen they will just ask and find out , they are really good guys they are also quite fun and do smile, they know a lot of you and attend all our events and feel like part of the crew , so they are there mostly to make the guests feel relaxed and securer , and are very useful when its a guests first time doing one of these events.

Some of the comments on here are interesting , but at the end of the day the guest dictates what he needs to feel secure and the security provides that .

No one knows what other issues guest may have had in the past that also need to be taken into consideration so you will have to rely on our teams judgement on how to proved the security that is needed.

I hope that is of help to everyone , and explains a little more of another aspect of what we do :-)

jason :WAVE:

Very interesting.

I remember at Collectormania last year for some reason Lena Headey had a security person with her, I can't for the life of me figure out why that was, but as you say security are doing their job and know full well what they are doing.

Saw the same security guy who was in Gillians bunker last year, whats his name he seemed a nice fellow.

No one knows what other issues guest may have had in the past that also need to be taken into consideration so you will have to rely on our teams judgement on how to proved the security that is needed.

jason

Exactly that's the Point Jason.

There're so many weird people out there and actually u just can look onto peoples forehead. A couple of years ago i had a very interesting conversation with one of the female guests who had brought her personal security with her. This guy was with her even on stage. This caused much irritation with most of the fans, cause until this point security was never so present that it irritatet and slightly disturbed the audience. So i asked her later on at her table. She told that at the first cons she did she was free on her own cause thinking "who should i be afraid of, these people are coming to have good time"...

Then a "fan" started to follow her from con to con not doing the "normal groupieing" some people do when they follow to much cons as possible to have a chat or two with one specific guest perhaps building up some kind of "friendship" or rememberance "Oh it's you again. How are u. what have u dun since last time" etc.

Due to an incident with that "fan" she told me that she had to make a decision... Doing no more conventions or havin security. Fortunately she did last. Also explained that her "man" normally isn't that present but due to the reason that that con was her first german con and also first trip to germany as well. Not knowing the general german fan hospitallity and warm welcoming she decided that to emotionally feel better her "man" has to be more present just for her not thinking over that in this case he would also be that present for the whole audience.

As Jason said some ground level of security has to be. But then the guest decides if he needs extended security or not. Some guests are more frightened then others. Some are on the verge of freaking out some are cool as ice.

For me i trust in Jason and his experience over the years and believe in that everythin is taken in to consideration to outmost make every con the best possible experience for the fan and the guest as well.

Cheers

While waiting for my photo with Peter, one security guy came out to speak to us - I think the one in Rockstar's photo. He was very nice, and made sure to explain in a friendly way why there'd be no hugging or handshakes (he mentioned the hand cramping).

And I think that's the crux - when they are polite and friendly, explain it's for the guest's wellbeing or to make sure we get everyone through, etc., people are more than happy to comply. Having a scary guy pounce on you because your hand strayed an inch too close to your phone would understandably make people upset or spoil the mood.

I'll give guests the benefit of the doubt - jetlag, hand cramps, bad prior experiences, colds, etc. - if asked not to do something, I won't. The guests might be paid to come here, but they're still people - no reason they can't be respected or have a good time too.

• Like 2

I'm always amazed by the guests who give hugs out, I love getting them but I have to admit if I was in their position I'd probably be someone who wasn't keen on doing it, I don't mean to cause any offence here BUT we've all been in LFCC when it's baking in and outside and to be confronted with lots of sweaty people asking for hugs I think I'd run for the hills.

I get that as celebrities certain expectations are put on them but it does make you wonder what's going through their minds when a dubious/sweaty/slightly stalkery looking type person comes bounding in for a hug!!!! :P

To be honest though I do ask for hugs but would never ever ask if I was told beforehand that the guest wasn't doing them!!

Handshaking for me is one thing, but hugs and the like is quite another. I'm not uncomfortable with the concept of hugging, but what I do get uncomfortable with is first off, the heat. I was wearing a sleeveless top and I ended up sweating and had to sort myself out before numerous photoshoots to make sure it didn't show... a quick application of powder to the face, a quick fan with the tickets and a quick comb of the hair to try and improve things... but that's the bit I find uncomfortable, when they put their arm around you or hug you and I'm kind of going "Yuck! Oh my God! They must be thinking what a sweaty b*****d!" They may not be, it may be all in my mind, they may see so many people that they don't notice anymore, but the thought's always there and it's an unpleasant and an uncomfortable one. But I have little option, if I want my photos with the stars, I have to suffer for it and maybe so do they!

well I was shaking with terror because this was the first celebrity I've ever met. my mum had a go at the security, and they put me right near the front. peter signed my book and gave it back without giving a glance. he then noticed me and my shaking and asked me if I was alright and asked to shake my hand and made sure I was ok. he was really nice, and chatted to me when I took a photo with him later. I'd love to see him again.

As an attendee and a crew member I cannot fault the security team. They are a friendly down to earth bunch of gents and ladies who know their stuff.Just having them there means not only can the guests relax but so can the crew meaning that attendees can get the best experience possible.

It is important to remember that if the security guys and gals go into security mode it might not be because of you so don't take it personally but because of something that you aren't aware of (quite rightly) happening in the background.

To my mind they are the biggest asset to these events as they ensure that the A guests we all want to see are willing to do these events.

the security team we use are one of the best personal protection teams in the UK they look after the Dalai Lama, some heads of state , Elton John , Paul Mccartney, they are all ex forces and are retrained after leaving the forces for protection work," They are the best ", there employer is Showmaters we give them direction of whats needed and then they go over the the "client" IE the "guest" and go over what they need in way of security, a pre brief go's over any past issues that may have occurred with a guest and a plan of actions is agreed and how things are to be executed and then put into action .

These guys know there stuff they are the real deal and they stay in the background and only ever intact when they feel they need to, they see things most of us do not , things like body language etc , we leave them to there work as they know what they are doing , we have never had a issue were they have overstepped the mark ever , so if they start up a conversation with you its cool they are just doing there job and making shore everything is ok and if they do not understand something they have seen they will just ask and find out , they are really good guys they are also quite fun and do smile, they know a lot of you and attend all our events and feel like part of the crew , so they are there mostly to make the guests feel relaxed and securer , and are very useful when its a guests first time doing one of these events.

Some of the comments on here are interesting , but at the end of the day the guest dictates what he needs to feel secure and the security provides that .

I hope that is of help to everyone , and explains a little more of another aspect of what we do :-)

jason :WAVE:

as long as they stick to the same rules for everybody theres no argument. some people were allowed photos and handshakes and nothing was said and thats what riles others.

Edited by loveamyadams
  • Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

it happened on the first day and Peter asked us to help stop it as it was hard for him to keep doing it , remember this is only Peters second signing show so its all new to him.

we do treat people all the same but sometimes things are fluid and change.

hope that helps

jason

• 4 weeks later...

We met him Sunday morning, we went back to check if the VQ had gone down and they'd opened it. The line was pretty big and we were told going in that there were no handshakes which i was a bit annoyed by, but completely understood and respected. He seemed tired, but gave me a smile as he saw we shared a name, and i told him i was looking forward to X-Men and he engaged me, even if for a few seconds. He was kinda dry but i imagine by day 3 anyone would be.

Lena Headey actually shook my hand twice though, before when i offered it to her, and then afterwards on her own steam. She didnt say much though cos she wasnt feeling well (apparently) - she left about 4 minutes after we got our signings but still seemed very nice and polite.