peter dinklage security

So i travelled down just for the sunday and had a fantastic day, however i was totally taken aback by the secirity surrounding peter dinklage and the overall aurogh of the guest, one the cut off point for taking photos seemed to be as soon as you entered, he made no eye contact with anyone, and to top it off i went to shake his hand and had a security near enough jump on front of me which in my opinion was ott and was given the excuse that he had a cold.......sooo what about all the people you were hugging in the photo shoots anyway just thought it odd however norman reedus total opposite best person met all day :)

• Like 2

When I went in for my autograph with Peter (pretty late in the day, around 4pm I think) the security warned us beforehand that he wouldn't be shaking hands as he had cramp and wanted to make sure he got through everyone's autographs. I don't know if that's the same issue security had in your case.

I can't comment for Sunday, but on Saturday the crew made it perfectly clear that there was to be no handshaking......however I still saw someone do so and it made him feel very uncomfortable, making him go straight for the hand-sanitiser. I know a lot of people like to give the guests handshakes, but their wishes should be respected if they don't want to.

No one can be compared to The Reedus because he is an absolute legend. The most welcoming guest I have ever met.

• Like 5

• Moderators

Personally if a guest doesn't want to handshake or whatever else because they're uncomfortable for it for WHATEVER reason, then I'm going to respect that. Why would anyone want to make a guest feel uncomfortable? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 8

By Sunday I'd bet his hand was in awful pain, he was extremely busy since 6pm Friday signing and having photoshoots. He's an amazing guy, I don't think there's an issue in not shaking his hand. The only guests I've had physical contact with (shaking hands, hugs, touching shoulder etc.) initiated it first, or if I was feeling brave I'd ask first, as I wouldn't want to to step out of line.

When I went into the "autograph booth" on Sunday, he had a big pile of pictures and he kep signing and signing, I bet at the end of the day he would keep signing even in his sleep.... :uhoh:

The security guys had a bit of a discussion between them when I asked if he could sign my T-shirt (apparently they thought it was better if i took it off and hand it to him, but eventually he simply leaned over and signed it), they were very careful that people didn't get too close. Oh well, it's their job.

To be fair to Peter Dinklage he shook my hand before and after my photo shoot and then again (after I had to have it re-done as I had my eyes closed!). I have to say that out of the people I met, he was maybe the least forthcoming but still seemed pretty cool nonetheless.

• Like 1

It could easily be a physical issue: if your hands are prone to get painful for any reason at all, the first few handshakes can be fine, and by the end of the day you can be in agony. I had a relative for whom this was the case, and who was in a high-profile job - if she didn't want to appear stand-offish, by the end of the day she was in quite a lot of pain. Lots of people who sign have hand problems by the end of a session (I've been following Neil Gaiman on twitter, and he talks about it a lot), and I'm glad that Peter, and other guests, are free to set limits to protect their own wellbeing, and have showmasters crew support them in that.

• Like 3

I think I would have been pretty offended had I shook someone's hand and they then reached for some hand sanitiser. On the opposite side of the fence, I'm someone who respects guests and doesn't wish to make a fool of myself so I adhere to what's laid out. Plus I don't want those heavy boys in suits pouncing on me, they look pretty stern as it is! ;-)

I would never make someone feel uncomfortable, I don't think it's fair. But I would expect common politeness from everyone, guests included. If they don't have the time for that, don't come to the show. I didn't meet him so I'm not going to comment specifically on him, but I did see him walk past with about 4 security men. If a guest is new to the shows as well, they probably don't know exactly what to expect or what may be expected of them, different people have different expectations.

As for me, unless I'm told no handshaking.etc I will always extend my hand just out of politeness, I have never had it refused. Sometimes I weigh the situation up and think... hmm I won't bother with this one I don't think they'd care for it. Danny Glover, Al Matthews, David Hasselhoff were absolutely fine with handshaking, I think even Alexander Siddig was too. Meg Foster liked to hug and even kiss fans which is nice, she was lovely too. It's all about how you conduct yourself when you're there, but I can't say I had any negative experiences all weekend!

• Like 3

never had any problems with peter but i guess at the end of the weekend he would have been tired and physically exhausted from having to smile and write out his name a hell of a lot. bare in mind that the statistics say there were 80,000 people at the show so if everyone bought one autograph that would be £2,400,000.

i wish he had been able to personalise my signed picture but under those conditions i fully understand.... it would also explain why i have a sore throat at the moment and cold like symptoms :-) after shaking his hand on saturday.

I met him on Friday and I agree the security was a bit tight? lol (they even had a go not in a nasty way or anything just a warning really, with the person I was with due to the fact he had a camera around his neck but he saw the 'No Pictures' sign so he wasn't going to use it yet they warned him lol) Just doing their job but still lol

Its a shame there where no pictures over the table as I thought I would get away with it before I got to the event and due to not knowing I was going until late and the queues for the tickets ended up being too big I was slightly disappointed I couldn't get a photo with the guests I wanted (Peter and Norman), hopefully *fingers crossed* that they will be back

Anyway I did manage to get to meet them and get my autographs at least for which I am still happy and grateful about and when I met Peter he was nice, managed to get a hand shake and a personalised autograph without any issues.

I will always ask, unless they initiate first, to get a hand shake and/or hug tho as imo its better that way and more polite (although due to having a social disability I'm still surprised I even did ask lol but yea I will always try to ask at least unless they initiate first xD)

It must be exhausting for the guests though (especially the popular ones signing so many times. It really cant be helped tbh)

I'm pretty used to a security presence by now. It's a bit sad, but I understand why they do it. I was very happy with my experience with Peter, personally - OK, the signature on my auto was little more than a wavy line, but the poor man must have been exhausted from all that signing, and on Sunday he was personalizing, which was way more than I'd expected! He was also brilliant in the photoshoots - I shall treasure my photos forever. :D

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with the security guys. Doing their jobs and I guess as I've never done anything to warrant much attention from them they're just a presence. Some of them were actually laughing at some of the things going on and I find they keep a respectful distance while remaining on hand should they be needed.

This pic was taken in Peters queue early on friday evening (from behind the point you were allowed to take photos up to before anyone says anything)

_DSC0113.JPG

I like how we're now allowed to do this at least and once I've taken a few I put my camera away so there's no suggestion I'm going to take anything nearer. Security guy in photo seems to be doing fine there.

Anyway Peter was great then, obviously new to all this but I was very happy with my exchange with him, got a lovely personalised picture and my GoT poster which is getting very full. He seemed impressed.

Photoshoots were fine, especially the double with Lena as both were just throwing poses. Then I went through again on Sunday to complete another picture that had him on that I decided to get done late on. He was clearly more tired then, not personalising at the time I went (which was fine as my name was already on the pic from someone else) and his signature had changed but still managed a brief and amusing exchange without feeling rushed.

Didn't cross my mind to try and shake hands on the friday and on sunday was told that he wasn't doing that anyway which is totally fine. I normally only attempt that if I see others doing it or the guests offers anyway.

Personally had a great experience meeting him and can't thank Showmasters enough for the opportunity as I thought he'd be one very unlikely to do such an event.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed by the guests who give hugs out, I love getting them but I have to admit if I was in their position I'd probably be someone who wasn't keen on doing it, I don't mean to cause any offence here BUT we've all been in LFCC when it's baking in and outside and to be confronted with lots of sweaty people asking for hugs I think I'd run for the hills.

I get that as celebrities certain expectations are put on them but it does make you wonder what's going through their minds when a dubious/sweaty/slightly stalkery looking type person comes bounding in for a hug!!!! :P

To be honest though I do ask for hugs but would never ever ask if I was told beforehand that the guest wasn't doing them!!

Edited by mrsmikaelson
  • Like 3

So i travelled down just for the sunday and had a fantastic day, however i was totally taken aback by the secirity surrounding peter dinklage and the overall aurogh of the guest, one the cut off point for taking photos seemed to be as soon as you entered, he made no eye contact with anyone, and to top it off i went to shake his hand and had a security near enough jump on front of me which in my opinion was ott and was given the excuse that he had a cold.......sooo what about all the people you were hugging in the photo shoots anyway just thought it odd however norman reedus total opposite best person met all day :)

I think Norman Reedus was very kind and welcoming. Loved meeting him so much!

• Showmasters Admin

the security team we use are one of the best personal protection teams in the UK they look after the Dalai Lama, some heads of state , Elton John , Paul Mccartney, they are all ex forces and are retrained after leaving the forces for protection work," They are the best ", there employer is Showmaters we give them direction of whats needed and then they go over the the "client" IE the "guest" and go over what they need in way of security, a pre brief go's over any past issues that may have occurred with a guest and a plan of actions is agreed and how things are to be executed and then put into action .

These guys know there stuff they are the real deal and they stay in the background and only ever intact when they feel they need to, they see things most of us do not , things like body language etc , we leave them to there work as they know what they are doing , we have never had a issue were they have overstepped the mark ever , so if they start up a conversation with you its cool they are just doing there job and making shore everything is ok and if they do not understand something they have seen they will just ask and find out , they are really good guys they are also quite fun and do smile, they know a lot of you and attend all our events and feel like part of the crew , so they are there mostly to make the guests feel relaxed and securer , and are very useful when its a guests first time doing one of these events.

Some of the comments on here are interesting , but at the end of the day the guest dictates what he needs to feel secure and the security provides that .

No one knows what other issues guest may have had in the past that also need to be taken into consideration so you will have to rely on our teams judgement on how to proved the security that is needed.

I hope that is of help to everyone , and explains a little more of another aspect of what we do :-)

jason :WAVE:

• Like 10