Anyone else think Al Matthews was ace?!?

Having always enjoyed Al Matthews as Sgt. Apone in Aliens, one of the best sci-fi films of all time, he was a definite must see for me. Not a 'headliner guest' but a guest worth getting off my a***e and driving a 6-hour round trip to see.

He personalised, added his character name and was happy to add a quote: "Look into my eye." He said to me he could tell I was, in his words, "a real fan" because he said he can remember all his lines and he never gets asked for that one, which of course I was pleased to hear! He seemed quite humble and offered me his hand rather than the other way round, which I thought was a nice touch.

I had no idea Al was 70 years old and it made me sad to see him need assistance to walk to the photo shoot later in the day. But maybe being an old gent is what made him a pleasure to meet? He was pleasant, courteous, chatty, and funny. The guy in front of me got a pic signed and asked Al to sign in a certain place on the pic. Al had a black pen and said, "I don't give a s*** where it is - I can't F***ing see no more!" Written down in black and white that reads as quite abrupt. In reality it was very self deprecating and tongue in cheek.

At the photo shoot later in the day I asked if we could do the look into my eye pose from the film and he happily obliged. My first photoshoot where I have made a request of the guest and I am glad I did. He had an Aliens cap on and a big fat cigar as well - he seemed to want to put the effort in for his fans.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 1

He was very cool.

I asked him to add a quote too and tried to keep it brief, it was between yours and... "You know the drill, A@@holes and Elbows!" To which he responded, 'you know that's not all of it don't you?' then wrote "You heard the man and you know the drill, A@@holes and Elbows!". He then went on to explain that it's a real Marine Corp saying.

I'm sure he has some great tales to tell - it would be great to one day have a marines reunion talk (hint, hint).

• Like 3

He was very cool.

I asked him to add a quote too and tried to keep it brief, it was between yours and... "You know the drill, A@@holes and Elbows!" To which he responded, 'you know that's not all of it don't you?' then wrote "You heard the man and you know the drill, A@@holes and Elbows!". He then went on to explain that it's a real Marine Corp saying.

I'm sure he has some great tales to tell - it would be great to one day have a marines reunion talk (hint, hint).

Goes to show: he does indeed remember all if his lines! Good choice of quote.

Totally Agree, A really nice guy. I think the first guy who had his photo done with him gave him the Cigar which he then used in our shoots. I didn't know he was in his 70's but I guess Aliens was in 1984. How time flies. I guess we all are getting on and I hope if I reach that age I am still mobile enough to get to SM Cons :smile:

He was a true gentleman. :blush:

I was so excited to ask him to quote, but then felt really nervous when it actually got to the time!

He was a fantastic man, but as has been said, it was a little sad to see how he has aged.

Movies capture our younger selves and it's hard to remember that ageing happens sometimes.

• Like 1

He was a true gentleman. :blush:

I was so excited to ask him to quote, but then felt really nervous when it actually got to the time!

He was a fantastic man, but as has been said, it was a little sad to see how he has aged.

Movies capture our younger selves and it's hard to remember that ageing happens sometimes.

Definately agree on you there, I said the same thing to someone how we see these great actors in their prime (big films/tv shows) which stand the test of time. So for me I always picture them from these films/tv series, so seeing them in person after such a long time ofcourse they have all gotten older, it is sad in that sense. Great meeting them.

• Like 1

I was running low on cash but somehow i felt i had to get his autograph (the 1st of only 2 that day) and to say "hello" which i hadn't planned to do, and i'm so glad i did coz Al was great!

As i wrote in another thread: - I didn't realise he was actually in the Marines for real, in the Vietnam conflict. I also found out he is into music and when i asked what kind he replied "Any music. You write it i'll play it. You fart it I'll play it" LOL

I too wished i had got it personalised with a quote - i remember all his lines! :D (Photo-shoot next time...)

Al was great as always :thumbup: Met him a couple of years ago in another Showmasters event and it was great to see him again. Has to be my favourite marine and i am very much looking forward to meeting a few more in Cardiff in August :thumbup:

keep the Alien(s) guests coming guys :thumbup:

• Like 1

My partner got me into Aliens so Al was a must meet for me. He is my second marine, Lance Henriksen being the first. I'd love to meet the rest of them, that would be fantastic! But I thought he was a fantastic guest, you never realise how old they are though and think of them as still looking how they did on the big screen. It was sad to see him being helped to walk to the photo-shoot area, but it was also great to see him still attending an event like LFCC, particularly in that crippling heat, as someone else said, if I get to his age, I hope I'm still mobile enough to attend conventions!!