So, who were your favourite guests?

I only met Lena Headey due to lack of funds but she couldn't have been more lovely and made my first con extremely special. I was only going to go for the photo with her and possibly get a photo with Peter Dinklage but she was so wonderful that I decided to get an autograph from her, too.

I got to hug her for the photo (I love how she just throws her arms around you) and she complimented me on my cat ears after it was taken. At her signing table, she said she remembered me from the photoshoot and I asked her to write something on the photo I chose for her to sign. She ended up writing "Wanna lick your ears!" on it and asked me if it made sense afterwards. Oh, and we held hands briefly.

If I didn't adore her before, I'm now completely and utterly head over heels.

I would've loved to have met more guests but Lena was the main reason I was there and she really couldn't have made my first ever con more special. Meeting her made my whole year.

All the Game of Thrones guests.

I had a copy of the graphic GOT novel and had them sign it. Joe Dempsie & Finn Jones said they had never seen it before and asked if they could flick through it before signing. Plus, Finn shook my hand and asked my name. Jason Momoa was just....HOT!!!!

I'm unfortunately always a bit starstruck (I guess, for lack of a better term) and hardly chat with any of the guests. I quickly turn to an automatically thank you for being here and such. So when a guest tries to put in a bit of effort to make me talk, I'm always grateful.

To me, I'd say John Franklin was the nicest guest I met on sunday. Very nice, chatty, waving when he saw me pass by. Had a nice chat with Armin Shimerman about Buffy and his voice work as well. Dee Wallace is absolutely amazing. But honestly I have no complaints about anyone, none of the guests were impolite.

I should try to chat more! :o

Oh i was feeling the same! Couldn't think of a word to say when i first meet them and then do the automatic thing and then i feel the pressure of others waiting in line behind. But if i wait a second longer and feel the guest is engaging i could talk for ages - so i too MUST try and chat more and make the most of these precious moments!

Anyway back to the question.

I only attended Sunday and these were my experiences:

I only had a photo-shoot with Lena but she was friendly even though they were all ready to finish that shoot session so everyone was conversing with themselves when i got there.

David Hasslehoff was cool & friendly but it was just a quick photo-shoot with KITT so can't really say fully.

I had a photo-shoot with Danny Glover and attended his talk. He was really relaxed and engaging and friendly - I can't believe more people didn't attend his talk, i was expecting loads of people but only the about front 6 rows had people on them. I'm glad i got to ask him a question at the very end (even though i held the mic too far away to be clearly heard, and he had trouble hearing the PA system over the background noise) and he was happy that someone (I) had seen one of his less well known films.

I got Al Matthews autograph and actually managed to get myself talking with him. I didn't realise he was actually in the Marines for real in the Vietnam conflict. I also found out he is into music and when i asked what kind he replied "Any music. You write it i'll play it. You fart it I'll play it" LOL - he's a good bloke :)

And for me best of the day (and best i've ever met so far methinks) was Amanda Tapping. I wasn't sure what she would be like for real, but she was the first guest i met that day and meeting her made me happy all day [and even now!]. Such a real genuine warm hug and friendly small talk in the photoshoot and then later i HAD to get her to autograph the photo even though i had not originally intended too. I flaked out this time into small-talk and as i went to leave she reached out and shook my hand, she was so engaging, and i felt bad not having more to say... She was fantastic though, a real star! An angel even!! :D

All the guests were so lovely so I will judge it on who I ended up spending the most time and money on and that would be Norman :smile: with Peter Dinklage as a second! I really should save more for these things! I always spend way more than I think I will :rolleyes:

I'll comment of the guests in the order in which I met them...

Peter Dinklage

If I had to describe this encounter in one word, "underwhelmed" would be it. I have read very positive experiences from others who saw him and how he was great at the photoshoots but when I met him I got a general vibe of disinterest. But like I said this doesn't really tally with the good stuff I have read on here.

I suppose some of it came down to the fact that unless you specified something additional beyond his signature he didn't seem to want to find out. By that I mean, on the auto slip I gave the crew member I put "To _____ Best Wishes" and I think had I of not written that, based on the conveyor belt approach, I would have only gotten his signature. Maybe some might disagree but I do think a guest should be putting simple "Best regards" without an attendee having to ask if the guest they clearly doesn't have a problem adding more.

I've also read that Peter was NOT personalising, so again that doesn't tally with my experience. I got this autograph for a friend so ultimately she will be very happy that he personalised it for her. I don't know if this was a rule changed day to day or what ( I saw him about 11:30 on Sunday) but I think if many fans didn't get theirs personalised, they have missed out which is not fair to them. If this autograph had been for myself I would have been VERY dissapointed to have received just a signature in this case as Peter's autograpgh is appalling (IMO). It is very lazy and there is not one portion of it that resembles a single letter of the alphabet, much less his name.I do not expect any actor's signature to be perfectly legible, but Peter's is undoubtedly one of the worst I have seen.

I have heard on the forums that Peter was suffering from hand cramp given the amount of signatures he did but if a) he wasn't personalising for the majority of the time he was there, and his signature was basically a squiggle/straight line, I don't see how that was so taxing on him. But whatever, the auto was not for me, and I'm glad it wasn't. The experience was cold and indifferent and the signature unimpressive for £30.

Norman Reedus

You know the kids rhyme: "First the worst, second the best..." Well it certainly applied here.

I have heard that Norman always makes the effort with his fans... and boy is he worthy of that reputation. He met a lot of people but it never felt rushed. He took the time to speak to everyone, shook everyone's hands, offered and even demanded(!) hugs and was just downright nice to everyone, and I mean every single person who ended up in front of him (not just the person getting the signature). Plus he was giving away goodies I suspect he had accumilated over the previous days.

He stood up all the while which I've never seen a guest do, with his stereo behind his table with him bopping away bewteen meeting each fan! He seemed relaxed and made the experience very informal which I imagine put a lot of people at ease. I love The Walking Dead but only met him because my girlfriend wanted his autograph. he greeted us both, did his signature, leapt back, threw his arms back and yelled "Bam!" - I have never seen an autograph signed with such dramatic effect! He was so consistently enthusiastic it was a pleasure to see. My girlfriend was too starstruck to get into conversation but we both thanked him for coming and he said "thank you for having me" so sincerely.

I have enjoyed meeting many guests over the last few years but Norman is easily the most consistently fun and fan friendly I have ever had the pleasure to meet. He will take some beating.

William B. Davis

What a sweet old guy. Very friendly and one of the warmest and most approachable guests I have met, he had a perpetual smile on his face. Nothing seemed too much trouble and he was happy top add character names and quotes etc. A real pleasure to meet him with one of the best photos I have owing to the amount of effort he put into the signing,

Peter Mayhew

Without sounding too harsh, but without any dialogue in the Star Wars films, I struggle to see him as more than someone simply wearing suit. Nonetheless, I wanted his auto for the sake of completion as I love Star Wars so didn't go into it wanting or expecting much from the interaction. I was happy to have met him and thanked him and he was polite back. I have heard he did not personalise. I did not want a personalisation, and was happy he added 'Chewbacca' but I do not understand why he would refuse to do so for more hardcore fans who really wanted a personalised autograph.

Dave Prowse

Much the same as Mayhew, just wanted to get the signature. Dave was friendly and polite and from what I saw he was happy to engage with his fans at length. No complaints.

Ralph Brown

I can't figure out if Ralph looked depressed or annoyed, or maybe both, or neither. Whatever the case, he didn't look overly thrilled to be there so I approached him with some trepidation. Nonethelss, whilst I'd say he wasn't the most excited of guests, he was polite and spoke to me very candidly about his work when I asked him some questions which was very interesting. He added his Alien3 character nickname "85" to my pic which was a nice touch - even if I did request it!

Al Matthews

This guy is a legend. He made the effort to chat. He regaled people with anecdotes, wasn't afraid to use the odd swear word, and was great fun to meet. He seemed like he wanted to meet his fans and make it enjoyable for them. He was a good sport at the photoshoot too in that he had on an Aliens militay style cap as well as the iconic big fat cigar of course,.

Edited by Dent_1

On the whole most people I met were friendly and chatty, but if anyone stands out it has to be Peter Kent for me. His talk was full of amazing stories and the best one I attended throughout the weekend. So much so that my friend and I then went to get his autograph afterwards, and he was even nicer, posing for photos and having a good 5-10 minute chat. A legend :-) (I've even ordered a copy of his autobiography as a result!)

• Like 1

for me, id have to say Norman Reedus what a dude! so polite so welcoming i was very surprised how nice he was and Amanda Tapping not gonna lie she was so lovely ive always had a lil crush on her but now my crush might be abit bigger :P sorta hope my gf doesnt read this she might kill me lol :P i do regret not getting photos with them both but next time i wont make the same mistake!

Foster (nicest guest ever , above/beyond call of duty.....not that the other guests were bad , far from it)

Davis (humble and nice)

SW fellas (Mayhew & Prowse......honestly never talked to them and thus can't "review" em....they were polite though.....talked to Baker at AG '11 and he seemed nice)

Warner (h and n.....he told me he'd never seen Batman ep's he did)

Loken (nice)

Barbeau (h and n)

Rimmer (h and n)

Robinson (h and n , he chuckled when I asked him to add "I want a lawyer" from DH)

Adams (he didn't seem to want to interact with fans , only talking to his buddy....still I'm very happy with the stuff I got sgd)

Very satisfied bottom line :)

Edited by 007 spells Bond

On the whole most people I met were friendly and chatty, but if anyone stands out it has to be Peter Kent for me. His talk was full of amazing stories and the best one I attended throughout the weekend. So much so that my friend and I then went to get his autograph afterwards, and he was even nicer, posing for photos and having a good 5-10 minute chat. A legend :-) (I've even ordered a copy of his autobiography as a result!)

Now looking on amazon for a copy myself - his talk was hilarious... one of, if not the best over the weekend.

• Like 2

Can't find his autobiography on amazon - can someone who is in the know post its title or ISBN please.

Title: Stand or Fall: An Autobiography of a Stuntman

Author: Peter Harris Kent

ISBN: 978-0759613454

(I personally ordered mine through Waterstones but also second hand through Amazon available)

Amanda Tapping hands down, always smiling and with a kind word for every fan. Even after hours of signing and autos.

Lena Headey would be second. So different from Cersei. Crazy (in a good way :P)

The 5 "smaller" GOT guests were really nice too (Joe Dempsie, Finn Jones, Richard Dormer, Kristian Nairn and Clive Russell). Norman Reedus was kick-ass.

Disappointed by the signings with Peter Dinklage/Jason Momoa, not cool when a guest doesn't even raise an eye to look at you or doesn't answer a hi. I widely agree with Dent_1's opinion about Peter. Fortunately he was much better during the photoshoot sessions. Maybe signing is just not his thing, after all. Still can understand the disappointment of people who paid 30£ for a straight line. Could be explained by his hand problem. At least i had a "Tyrion" with that, so i can't complain. About Jason, it was really obvious he's a convention machine, the photos with him are great, but the experience is a little cold overall.

Edited by Vonsid

So nice to read about the amazing experiences people have had with the people they met. I was so lucky with the ones I met - Meg Foster, without a doubt, one of the friendliest and warmest guests ever. Kisses on the mouth, cuddles, touchy feely, long conversations - just a dream. Dee Wallace is just lovely too, she's such a nice person. Robert MacNaughton - really chatty and down to earth, John Franklin too. Adrienne Barbeau was so sweet and nice too. Great guests ths year!

Everyone i met was lovely but special mention too Eve Myles, Sarah Wayne Callies & Finn Jones! Had lovely chats with all of them & lots of fun in photo sessions! Did go & meet other guests with a friend & thought Meg Foster was a great guest, lots of stories to share & time for everyone ....

I have to admit that the person I was initially looking forward to meeting the most before the actual event was Peter Dinklage BUT again I have to say that over the whole weekend the person who stood out head and shoulders above everyone else was Will Yun Lee :smile:

Apart from being a real nice guy, he was very chatty and even allowed my fiancee to have a sneaky snap with him which was most appreciated as she ONLY attends for the photo shoots and autographs are not really her thing ( shame on her!! lol).

I hope most of the attendees took the opportunity to meet him AS if they did not they will surely regret it after the release of The Wolverine later this month (something tells me it will be pretty good!!!!!)

I'm starting to sound like a stuck record when it comes to fave guests, and this event did nothing to change that fact. As nice as everyone else can be, there are two people who have always been consistently a cut above the rest for me, and one of them is Nana Visitor. She was the highlight of my very first convention (LFACC 07) and she remains one of the sweetest loveliest people you could ever hope to meet.

nana1_zps16c9277e.jpg

Pretty sure she was the first person I saw on Saturday morning, and she clearly remembered me from DSTL. Not by name, but it was so lovely to see that flash of recognition in her eyes and hear a "Hello *you*!"; a brilliant start to the weekend. Every time I went past her signing area she was constantly smiling and being friendly and welcoming to everyone who went up to see her, which was lovely to see. There are certain other guests who could learn a lot from the way Nana treats people.

birthdayauto_zps2c40654d.jpg

Actually it was my birthday on Saturday, and while I didn't mention that to too many guests (kept forgetting to, actually) I figured if anyone was worth telling it was Nana. She smiled one of those enormous and totally genuine smiles of hers and wished me a very happy birthday, before signing a photo with a similar message. When I went back the next day to get my DS9 script signed, she was just as friendly and happy to see me as she had been the day before, and we chatted a little about the episode and how much we both liked it.

Dsc01634_zps74dc8f87.jpg

As silly as it sounds the one and only thing I really wanted on my birthday was a Nana hug, and she very kindly obliged me with one at the photoshoot. Not only that, but I got two more hugs on Sunday; one at her photoshoot, and one more at the end of the day when I went over to say how nice it had been to see her again. Actually, of the six Nana hugs I've had now, that last one was the nicest and most huggiest of them all - it was a really special moment for me. She even made me promise that I'd come back and see her next time she's in the UK, although I would have done that anyway. Like I said, she always has been and always will be one of the absolute best guests of all time. Really hope she's invited back soon.

• Like 2

Nana was great. I am not familiar with Star Trek but had to meet her for her role in Friday the 13th and it was lovely to hear her stories about making the film. She said she would love to do horror in the future as well which was awesome news!

P.s your signed script looks awesome! Love signed items like that.