Feedback

I last went to the LFCC 2-3 years ago, and frankly I was completely disappointed. However, I went again yesterday and loved it! I was thrilled by the Artists Alley, there was a great spread of people there; the costumes were fab although I didn't see a cosplay competition like last time. The merchandise area felt more like a "zone" and less like the whole convention and the spread of guests was fab!

I loved the free talks, absolutely brilliant, and the paid for talks sounded like a lot of fun, and I'm going to book one next time. I did wonder about that very large open space in the middle, there could have been more trestle tables and chairs laid out for people to gather. They filled up a few times. I didn't go in a costume but the changing areas were a really thoughtful touch.

BUT - the website spoke of the Iron Artist contest (was that the board at the back of the hall), I spent several hours creating and printing off a piece of digital artwork only to find the "competion" was for artwork drawn that day (no warning). I saw some kiddies drawing and felt that there could have been a kids competition - in fact, the board felt LIKE a kids competition with various doodles; and we watched the judges picking their favourite pieces, they never really looked above shoulder level, and there was no real announcement and kudos for the winner - sorry guys! . I thought it was a bit more of a serious contest with comic artists and fan art competing.

The website also mentioned a life drawing class, workshops and building a portfolio workshop. Either it wasn't there or I completely missed it because it wasn't signposted. I also never saw where the Artists Showcase was, and I came with friends who couldn't find any of them either.

Were we just being blind or were they listed as something we didn't recognise?

It would have been really useful to have a provisional timetable posted for talks and things so if you're only going for one day you can pick your day. The timetables posted on the day were really useful even if they referred to area 1 rather than A or vice versa :)

Some of the talk areas were a bit too open.

Overall I'd give it 3 out of 5, but since I'd have given it 1 out of 5 the first year, I was really glad I went. I was really pleased with the cost of the tickets and wouldn't mind paying a little extra if that's what it takes to fix some of these things. I know that everyone worked really hard to pull off the event, I'm not just trying for a moan here, best of luck with October, and yes, I plan on going, but I would love it if some of these issues were addressed.

my main complaint about the weekend was the appalling queue on Saturday morning, we had to walk right round Earls court 1 and 2 to discover people buying on the day were being let in as soon as they bought and us that pre paid were still waiting! I was under the imprssion from previous shows that if you bought early bird on the day you then joined the BACK of the early bird queue. Why encourage people to buy in advance when, once you have the money, no courtesy is given on the day. I also know I am not the only person who was extremely upset about this issue.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Pre-paid is exactly what it is. You have pre paid and got your ticket.

Nowhere does it state that you will be let in before those who buy on the day.

Some people don't like buying online, or can't etc, and to suggest those who buy online should be put through before them is a little unfair really. Everyone's buying the same ticket.

It's sadly a common misconception.

even early bird? This is an unfair system and yes a misconception that isn't actually stated at time of purchase online. If that is the case it is misleading a customer to not make this information available. If you buy an early bird on the day you avoid queuing with the other early tickets and basically by pass the bigger queue? I'm sure you can understand why people in the early bird queue, who had been there sometime, had to stand back and watch people walk into on the day queue (which was at least mile shorter lol) and get straight in whilst they still stood outside. As I said at previous events I have seen people buy early birds on the day and walk round and join the early bird queue, maybe they were just being reasonable.

• Moderators

Those buying on the day are buying exactly the same ticket as those who pre-booked.

The pre-booking is a convenience, not a payment for a fast-track ticket in front of those who pay on the day.

There's certainly no guarantee that buying online will get you in before those who buy on the day.

Looking on the online store, it suggests the pre pay line is 'likely to be shorter.' That's all.

Edited by DavidB

My only problem was with the new photoshoot time system on the Saturday.

At one shoot they would let anybody go in and didn't care what number ticket you had and at the Lena Headey one in the morning they would only let in upto number 200. This would not have been a massive problem if, 1) all of the shoots used the same system and everybody knew in advance and 2) there wasn't a six hour wait until the next session. I had to go and exchange my ticket because I couldn't stay that late and there were a few others in the same boat.

Edited by defender05

I missed being able to pick-up a show programme this year - they're always quite handy for timetables and maps of the floor layout (they're also handy souvenirs and reminders in years to come of who attended and when).

Please don't do away with them.

• Like 3

I think the perception that you get in quicker with pre-paid tickets comes from the logic that if everyone (pre-paid and paying) starts to enter at 9:00, then the pre-paid people would enter more quickly due to their tickets only needing to be checked rather than there having to be a financial transaction. It does seem to be strange that the pre-paid queue was moving more slowly than the paid queue if this was the case.

I think what they are saying is once people have bought a ticket on the day they should then join the queue of all the other people who have paid for tickets not just go straight in. I know this is done at other conventions and shows but they also have people selling tickets before the doors open.

I've not read the entire thread so my apologies if I'm going over old ground.

I would suggest the name of the early bird is re-named to simply the pre-paid ticket. Early bird implies that you get into the event ahead of time, which isn't really the case.

My other suggestion is that all the photo shoot areas are set up on the same wall as each other, I realise this is probably to disperse people "advance queuing" but if everyone is there for the same reason, might it actually help the flow in other areas?

They're really my only two bits of feedback :smile:

• Like 1

• Moderators

1) It's Early Bird because it allows you in 2 hours earlier than Standard entry.

2) It's exactly the same ticket as sold on the door.

3) Nowhere on the website nor the online store does it state you will be allowed in before those who purchase on the door.

It's completely clear in my eyes. I don't really understand why anyone would assume they're paying for something it doesn't say.

• Like 3

2 things that I can see here but may be wrong. They are called early bird because they let you in from 9am instead of "general entry" 11am. The pay on the day queue may be inside quicker but then often have to queue at the box office to make a payment.

Yes the early bird pre pay went around the building but once doors opened it did move pretty quickly. Earls Court staff tend to manage the queues outside but I did go outside on Saturday morning to try and help. I did send some people to a queue on the other side of the doors without realising the queue went around the entire 2 EC buildings and back again!

I'm pretty sure that all pre paid were in by about 9:25 ish.

Having gone to LFCC the last 4 or 5 years I must say this one is one of the most organised I've seen in a while!! The photo shoot queues were managed VERY well this year, thanks to all of the crew who were manning them, they did an awesome job. The autograph queues were also managed pretty well, especially for the busier guests (not in the booths) like Amanda and Jason!

Overall, one of the best LFCCs I've been to, thanks guys :clap:

• Like 3

I don't feel that saying we expect an entitlement is not a very nice way of reply, I'm not saying I have an "entitlement" because I bought online, but I bought an EARLY BIRD, which I believe is to let you in before 11am, there was a queue of people who had also been there for quite a while and people just waltzed up bought a ticket and walked straight in without waiting, if this happened in a store would you be happy?

We have this every year. Early Bird entry allows you in between 9 and 11. You are buying the exact same ticket for the same price (bar postage) whether you buy in advance or pay on the day. Logic dictates that people who turn up early on the pay on the day queue are going to get in before people who turn up late but have pre-booked. If you don't like it, it's easy, save yourself a couple of pounds postage and don't pre-book or get there earlier!

For those of you saying the pay on the day people should join the back of the pre-paid queue once they've bought their ticket, how is that fair on anyone? For the pay on the day person who has got there nice and early they then have to wait behind people who rock up at 9 o'clock and any pre-paid person who turns up after doors have opened will be stuck behind all the pre-paid people AND the people who have bought on the door.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I don't feel that saying we expect an entitlement is not a very nice way of reply, I'm not saying I have an "entitlement" because I bought online, but I bought an EARLY BIRD, which I believe is to let you in before 11am, there was a queue of people who had also been there for quite a while and people just waltzed up bought a ticket and walked straight in without waiting, if this happened in a store would you be happy?

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as rude - totally not my intention. It's just the fact that some seem to expect that those who pay on the day should be shoved on the end of the pre-paid queue.

I don't understand that mentality because it's not fair. They have every right to go in as Early Birds as much as anyone. It's simply not a different ticket.

But that only happened because more people pre-paid than paid on the day, if it was the other way round then the pay on the day people would be in after the prepaid and do you know what, not one of them would moan about it, they'd just think, maybe next year I'll pre-book (which is probably why more people ARE pre-booking as they've been later in in previous years when they haven't).

Your store analogy doesn't work, when in a store would you have a line of people waiting who have already bought something and a line who are buying it there and then?

• Like 2

Hello. Haven't read the whole of the rest of this thread as I am at work on my phone but I just wanted to say a couple of bits.

I was only in attendance for the Sunday so I have no idea how different it was on the other days but on the whole I thought it ran very well. Your VQ system was spot on. Your staff and volenteers were very helpful and friendly on the whole. I read a few complaints about chairs before hand and I can see what people are saying now. I have a bad back and I noticed being stood up all day. I understand you don't really want people sat around all day as you want people to keep milling about and buying stuff but maybe there is a happy medium? My main suggestion however is to issue staff on queue (crowd) control with megaphones. I'm not deaf but I am hard of hearing from work and any information being shouted out didn't carry very well. When I asked other people what was said they didn't seem to know either.

Megaphones. It's the way forward.

Cheers

I don't think anyone is quite understanding what I'm saying. We QUEUED and the people walked past the QUEUE bought tickets and WALKED IN! How is this fair on the people who had been QUEUING for at least an hour or so? I'm am NOT saying I'm better than anyone else and really feel that belittling is a good way to deal with some one who has a grievence. Maybe it's best to avoid the forum and email Jason.

• Moderators

I don't think anyone is quite understanding what I'm saying. We QUEUED and the people walked past the QUEUE bought tickets and WALKED IN! How is this fair on the people who had been QUEUING for at least an hour or so? I'm am NOT saying I'm better than anyone else and really feel that belittling is a good way to deal with some one who has a grievence. Maybe it's best to avoid the forum and email Jason.

I don't believe anyone is belittling you, just having a discussion :)

It's clarifying the fact that regardless of what time you queue up with an early bird pre-paid ticket, it doesn't entitle you to a guaranteed entry before other people who have turned up on the day and paid.

This isn't attacking you or anything like that. It's just how it is, and please don't feel the need to be defensive or anything like that. It's really just trying to explain, and Jason will say the same because it's how the tickets work.

Had a brilliant weekend, definitely my fave LFCC and maybe SM event!

My only downside would be the Hoff/KITT photo shoot. I would have preferred the photo taken in front of the car - it would have been less dark and more obvious what we were standing in front of - after all, most people recognise the car from the front not the inside. :cylon:

• Like 2

Come on People, DavidB is right, We all bought a ticket Pre paid. You cant expect a person who buys on the door to come out and walk around the block to join a queue for a ticket we all hold is the same? I am glad I bought my ticket in advance, I know I will get in without a problem. We are all ticket holders. Yes I was worried when the time was getting on and my first photo shoot was coming up, But the queue moved quickly. Can you imagine not booking a ticket then queuing up in that heat you get to the front after 45mins with your cash card and the machine breaks down Etc. I always buy in advance for everything you never know they may run out? I saw on the photo shoots guests fully sold out and people moaning about this at the desk. The best thing to do is Pre book and be happy and have fun... :dance:

• Like 8