Earls Court demolition plan approved...

"Plans for a 77-acre redevelopment in Earls Court and West Kensington have been approved by the Mayor of London.

The scheme involves demolishing two estates and the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Developers want to create four "villages" and a "high street" and say the plans will create 7,500 homes and thousands of permanent jobs." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23175255

"Plans for a 77-acre redevelopment in Earls Court and West Kensington have been approved by the Mayor of London.

The scheme involves demolishing two estates and the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Developers want to create four "villages" and a "high street" and say the plans will create 7,500 homes and thousands of permanent jobs." http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-23175255

This is so sad....used to go to the Ideal Home & Motorbike exhibitions many decades ago, really fed up of higher beings ( that's me being polite) knocking stuff down to make tiny housing and yet another shopping centre, that they rent or sell off at extortionate prices.

This has been on the Cards for a while. I've been to loads of events both work and non work at Earls Court over the years, but I've never really found it that great as a venue, so whilst it is sad to see the loss of an iconic building, it would have needed serious investment in it to get it up to the standard of other venues in London that now exist.

With so many events in this venue each year all hotels and local business will suffer a huge loss.

It brings a £1billion revenue to the area, so an extremely huge loss for the area!

I am absolutely gutted at this news. Earls Court holds so many memories for me! I went to my first ever pop concert there and few years later I got my first experience of being the front few rows at a gig!

Olympia has been earmarked for demolition and or redevelopment too though hasnt it? even the tube station is under threat

Yes it has.....more unwanted development on the cards. They also have a thriving unique business area, that doesn't possess the same boring selection of shops. The steadfast existing population will suffer yet again to line someone's already full pockets.

It's a shame because regardless of the quality of the venue I've always found it easy to get to via road or train/tube compared to some other venues. Where to use instead? London Excel maybe?

Same for me. Earls Court was so easy to get to. All other venues are a bit of a travel pain.

Olympia has been earmarked for demolition and or redevelopment too though hasnt it? even the tube station is under threat

Yes it has.....more unwanted development on the cards. They also have a thriving unique business area, that doesn't possess the same boring selection of shops. The steadfast existing population will suffer yet again to line someone's already full pockets.

If they get rid of Olympia too, then my trips to LFCC are probably going to come to an end. :(

They can make it work in their favor though, i wouldn't budge until i had THE ideal home.

You tend to find the longer you hold out the bigger the deal these developers will offer.

Dream on. If any of the people on those estates own their dwellings, it's almost certain that they own the leasehold rather than the freehold (which at best complicates things). In any case, with something this big, I've no doubt that you can expect to see the Compulsory Purchase Orders wheeled out if necessary...

Olympia is not as good a venue as Earls Court and Excel my be an issue as a certain other comapny uses it. When it does go I hope a new home can be quickly found that is as good as the current location.

The people who very happily live in the two estates they are knocking down aren't all that thrilled, either.

neither are those of us who will lose our jobs so this rich mans playground can be built. of which the majority of the homes being built within it only they can afford.

20 years which will probably turn into 30 odd is also an outragious time scale

Olympia is not as good a venue as Earls Court and Excel my be an issue as a certain other comapny uses it. When it does go I hope a new home can be quickly found that is as good as the current location.

I wouldn't have thought the other company using it would be an issue certainly not from the venues point of view. Maybe fears from SM and the other firm that their events might get confused and lose their own identity may be an issue. It's an easy access venue that's all I was thinking.

I agree; Earls Court is much better. Far more floor space to move about.