Photo shoot or Autograph?

Photograph or Autograph?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Photograph or Autograph?

• I prefer a photo with the celebrity
    • I prefer an autograph off the celebrity

I have been looking at my budget for comic con and its amazing how quickly the costs rise!

As a lot of you will have been to many of these cons before which do you prefer doing. Do you prefer getting a photo with the star or an autograph?

I just worked out that it could cost me about £150 for all the main characters from DS9 to sign something. It would be really nice but unless I want to sell it it is just an autograph where as if I have photos I get a pic of me with someone famous.

I want to get a few more people but I am leaning towards having photo shoots with them. I currently have photo shoot tickets for Linda Hamilton, Nicole Deboer and Avery Brooks.

So not sure what to do............ arggggggggggg

I tend to go for a photo over an autograph - it's something that's just a bit more personal. If I can afford it and have the time, I'll do both. The only exception is if I have a multi-signed item, in which case I'd go for the autograph rather than a photoshoot.

But also - photos can be bought in advance! I'm quite bad with money if I'm honest, so I can buy them a month (or a few months) before, and then just forget that I'd spent my money! With autographs you pay for them on the day, so it has to come out of my budget - and by the time I've been round the stalls, I often don't have much left!!

• Like 4

I've always preferred an autograph and for many years just did that, with the occasional over the desk photo, but that was mostly for budgetary reasons. Last few years I've been enjoying photos as well although it does shove the costs up. But, even though they have me in, I love some of my photos and it's been kinda surreal getting that close some actors and actresses that you've been watching for years. I have cut down a lot this time and so far only have about 6 booked. I only choose people that are important to the things I'm interested in.

Currently my autograph costs will be nearly £400 if I go for all of them but I'm going to revise that as much as I can. I've spent a lot more in the past but need to try and cut down a bit. As I get the photos in advance, they're kinda paid off and I don't think about the cost of those too much.

• Like 1

The first two times I went, I got photographs (one each year). While it was nice to meet the people and to have the photo, it's an extremely stressful experience. The queuing is a complete mesm, photo development is usually delayed and collecting them is a massive pain. This year I'm planning to get some autographs instead as I don't want the hassle.

I have no idea how people handle multiple photos in one day.

• Like 1

The first two times I went, I got photographs (one each year). While it was nice to meet the people and to have the photo, it's an extremely stressful experience. The queuing is a complete mesm, photo development is usually delayed and collecting them is a massive pain. This year I'm planning to get some autographs instead as I don't want the hassle.

Wow, I feel completely the opposite - I think the photoshoots are much easier than the autos. With photos, you already have your ticket, you just go to the photo area at the right time, join the queue, and pick up your photo straight away! With autographs you have to get there early to get a VT, then keep checking back until your number is called, and THEN join the queue. And unless you're happy with the prints they have at the table you have to make sure you've got something for them to sign. I guess it just depends what you're more comfortable with.

• Like 5

I consider myself a collector (even though I collect for myself and I prefer personalized autographs), so when I have to choose, I usually go for an autograph. During the last two LFCCs I always did more auographs than photoshoots. I tend to choose only the most important people for me to do a photoshoot with. Even though it is me in the photo with them, the encounter is very short, you only have time to say hi and bye, while when getting the autograph you can actually have a brief chat with the person and even an over the desk photo.

• Like 3

I think I had an extremely bad luck last year. I had booked a ticket for a photoshoot with Jewel Staite. However, the time that was later announced was before I could get there. I was able to pay a bit more to exchange it for a photoshoot with Adam Baldwin. I waited in the extremely disorganised queue and it seemed that there was going to be a delay - however the length of the relay and reason wasn't very well communicated (there was virtually no communication) and the photoshoot finally started over an hour after it was supposed to. Then, because of the delay, the photo would not be ready for collection that day, so I had to give them my details and pay a fee to have it posted to me. So a week and a bit later, I got a photo with washed-out colours in the post (apparently the colour problem affected most of the Adam Baldwin photos).

• Like 1

Wow, I feel completely the opposite - I think the photoshoots are much easier than the autos. With photos, you already have your ticket, you just go to the photo area at the right time, join the queue, and pick up your photo straight away! With autographs you have to get there early to get a VT, then keep checking back until your number is called, and THEN join the queue. And unless you're happy with the prints they have at the table you have to make sure you've got something for them to sign. I guess it just depends what you're more comfortable with.

Agree. Although I prefer to get autos, photos are a far easier experience. You already have the ticket if you booked in advance. You just join the queue at given time (or wait a while if you have a high number), go through, smile, click, pick up photo and bag on way out, job done. So much easier. True some of the queue organisation leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, often due to ppl with high ticket numbers getting in the way when they have maybe a 30 or 45min wait before their number is called but other than that I agree with Inga on this one I'm afraid.

• Like 2

In case you aren't aware, a new system has been introduced since last years event. Photos are printed instantly and you collect them on the way out of the photo shoot area. No more waiting for them them to be collected from the printers.
  • Like 3

I normally only go for the autograph, mainly because it's easier for many events: guests sign the whole day or they all sign during a certain session for a couple of hours. While when you do photoshoots it's a lot more complicated: not all guests do photoshoots every day (so you sometimes have no other choice than attending the whole weekend), some events announce their photoshoot schedule very very late, you'll have to follow a certain schedule of the guests you want a photo with (and have to skip other events because they clash), ... so to me it seems a lot more stressful. Not to mention I just look terrible in photos :D

I do make an exception for actors or actresses I really have a 'soft spot' for. The only real photoshoot (not at the table) I've ever done so far is with Dina Meyer, who sort of was a teenager crush for me you could say.

• Like 1

I actually prefer both - I like to have them personalise the actual photoshoot. Costly but looks good and it's only money - you can't take it with you when you go...

It's great how we all like different things from these events. I'd never get a photoshoot signed, I like to get a picture of the show/film I'm meeting the actor for signed and leave the actual photoshoot pic untouched.

• Like 1

I actually prefer both - I like to have them personalise the actual photoshoot. Costly but looks good and it's only money - you can't take it with you when you go...

It's great how we all like different things from these events. I'd never get a photoshoot signed, I like to get a picture of the show/film I'm meeting the actor for signed and leave the actual photoshoot pic untouched.

I agree, my friends are getting their photoshoot photos signed, but I could never do that, it's two different things, I get a photo of the person from a movie or show signed, and the photoshoot photo is just something else, not suitable for being signed.

Edited by SammyRomie
  • Like 2

I love personalised autographs,but if a guest isnt doing a personalised autograph, i will opt for a photograph instead. That said, the guest would have to mean something to me to get their photograph aswell as their autograph,ie, a character i have been fond of since my childhood, or, in some cases, had a massive crush on (i'll admit, in most of the photo's i still do have a massive crush on them:)

• Like 1

I love both but I do like personalised autographs that little bit more, mainly as you get chance to have a more personal experience with the guest and chat for couple minutes. I never like the way I come out in the professional photos either lol!

• Like 1

Always autographs for me. At all the conventions ive been to in the last 8 years I can only recall 2 times i also took a picture of the guest and myself.. And im not even talking about official photoshoot sessions.