John Rhys Davies, Tara/Victoria & Bonnie Langford.

SilvaNemesis

Admittedly a bit of a random topic title, but I had a great weekend at the show and wanted to mention the above three guests because they stood out for me in just how very pleasant they were to meet. John Rhys Davies tickled me during the photoshoot causing me to laugh and the photo is a very spontaneous one, when I met him for an autograph afterwards he was very nice indeed, his nature reminded me somewhat of Brian Blessed but I was very happy to meet him and get the reception that I did.

Lisa Marie Varon aka Tara/Victoria - she was lovely too, she made time to talk, shook hands, made eye contact and was just generally very very pleasant to meet. So pleasant that I decided to go back and see her on Sunday. What actually happened was that as we walked past her, I was aware of her shouting "Hey guys!" quite loudly and enthusiastically, but why would it have been at us? So didn't really give it much thought, it was only when I went back to her later and spoke, she said "You walked past earlier and I shouted you but you ignored me", which I would never do to anyone, guest or otherwise so I was glad I went back if only to apologise to her. I've never had a guest shout randomly at me before so it never occurred to me that she would be shouting to us. I had another photoshoot with her several hours later, as I was leaving, she said "Thanks so much, Matt!" - the fact that she remembered my name having met God knows how many people in the meantime, was really nice too. She was just a fabulous guest, who again, I'm grateful to have had an opportunity to meet.

Finally Bonnie Langford, I spoke to her and was telling her how we'd unavoidably arrived late just after her photoshoot and that I had a ticket for it, she apologised several times to which I said oh it's not your fault it just happened, so because of that, she, without my asking, offered to have a picture taken by her signing desk which she didn't have to do, so I thought that was really nice of her. Again, she also made time to talk and was asking where my accent was from. Just another incredibly pleasant guest. Thanks for getting her!

• Like 1

Its moments like these that make a convention so memorable - When I chat to work colleagues about going to LFCC in July they laugh and make jokes but lord knows if any one of them had an experience like you have had at CM19, they'll be booking tickets for each and every con' from here till kingdom come...

• Like 2

Its moments like these that make a convention so memorable - When I chat to work colleagues about going to LFCC in July they laugh and make jokes but lord knows if any one of them had an experience like you have had at CM19, they'll be booking tickets for each and every con' from here till kingdom come...

You're so right! Some of my work colleagues are the same, one asked me "Oh you go to these Doctor Who conventions don't you?" in a patronising tone. I said no I go to Film, Movie and very diverse conventions. I look at it this way, the people at work are dull for the most part, going to something like this would never enter their head. Whilst they prefer to sit at home watching people on the TV, I prefer to go out and meet them and see what they're really like, and I've never looked back!

• Like 2

I have to say that John Rhys Davies MADE Collector what it was for me, as I've already mentioned in Jasons thread, when I met John he had signed my Raiders DVD and he whilst looking at my Fedora and some of the names already on there said "Harrison Ford, Spielberg! Very good- would you like me to sign it?" I said I didn't have the money or something like that "Don't worry about the money." with a fantastic expression on his face as he took the Fedora off me and signed it.

Words cannot express what that moment meant to me, I would say only meeting Gillian last year would equal that. :)

• Like 3

I have to say that John Rhys Davies MADE Collector what it was for me, as I've already mentioned in Jasons thread, when I met John he had signed my Raiders DVD and he whilst looking at my Fedora and some of the names already on there said "Harrison Ford, Spielberg! Very good- would you like me to sign it?" I said I didn't have the money or something like that "Don't worry about the money." with a fantastic expression on his face as he took the Fedora off me and signed it.

Words cannot express what that moment meant to me, I would say only meeting Gillian last year would equal that. :)

I bet it made his day though, seeing the fedora already signed, and he wanted to add to it.

I went up with my friend who got his autograph, and while she was choosing the photo for him to sign, he commented on my Tshirt which said "Force Majeure" (from the recent Eddie Izzard tour, not that he could know that). As my friend finished choosing and came over to him, he told the story of getting a Tshirt for his wife, from the Grande Tetons national park... we had a giggle over the English translation of that one ;)

• Like 2

Richard, that is a REALLY nice story! And great to see you yesterday! :D

• Like 1

I totally agree that Bonnie Langford was a wonderful guest!! She took the time to talk to me about the CD I asked her to sign and told me about how much fun she had recording it. She was also more than happy to have an over the desk photo with me. It's just magical when guests exceed your expectations and make a con so memorable.

Similarly, John Leeson was a joy to meet on Saturday. Initially I wasn't going to get his autograph but changed my mind and went for it. I'm SO glad I did! He took the time to really talk about K-9 and how he invented the voice, as well as personalising my autograph with a quote and reciting said quote for me!!! He also said that he liked my Trek uniform :D

• Like 3