Day 1

WOW, What a good first day at CMK 19 and my first at MK.

1st, From Railway station it would of been nice for a Sign up informing us where to catch the bus.

2nd Venue outside not very good about the queue system. I queued for 20mins then someone came outside and said, I was in the wrong queue... Grrr ended up at the back of the new queue.

Inside was a mad house, lots of people and very hard to move around, I managed to get to the sales / information desk to change my photo tickets. The lady there was top class.. I think it was the supervisor. Thanks for your assistance...

Long queues at the photo sales desk, so I thought I would come back later to buy the odd couple that couldnt be bought on line..

Photo shoots, were top. I had so many to get through... having many clashes I did ask if I could use a different day ticket now because of the clashes and showed the staff my large batch. One guy was tops and said ok... The other large guy said No... Well, I still managed 18 photo shoots and got lots for tomorrow with lots of clashes.. going to be interesting..

Highlights so far.. Jenna she is so cute, I wonder if she noticed me putting my mobile number in her pocket?

John Rhys Davis very funny person tickling you as the camera flashes.. Sonita Henry very lovely lady wanted to hug her. Julian Sands a true gent.

Overall a really good day worth the money spent and cant wait for day 2.

John Rhys Davis was amazing for that =D

Really enjoyed the day, great atmosphere around the hall. Jenna, Torri, Chris, John & Robert Llewellyn - what lovely people. Special thanks to the team at the booth today. Had to side-step pretty sharpish to avoid knocking in to Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Wish I could say that every day.

Edited by CD93

I thought it was pretty harsh that the Jenna morning queue got let in before the main queue rather than at the same time. (Maybe Gillian queue too? I couldn't see over there) Not only were they able to get their VTs for the designated big guest of that queue they were able to get VTs for the others too! I ended up with 485 for Malcolm McDowell and I went straight for his VT. Had to be less than 100 infront of me in the main general queue too. That's my only gripe of the day, a part from that I had a great time meeting guests, all of them were awesome.

It was super bust today; far more so than I remember it being in previous years. It did take the enjoyment out of browsing the stalls, but can't be helped.

I loved meeting all the guests. Chris Judge was chummy as usual, and Spice Williams & Torri Higginson were absolutely lovely. I was also astounded that Gillian had an open queue; I didn't get there until 11am, and was expecting that I was going to be way back with a high virtual ticket number, but I got in straight away.

Thanks for organising the event, Showmasters.

I ended up with 485 for Malcolm McDowell and I went straight for his VT. Had to be less than 100 infront of me in the main general queue too.

Fear not. I gather that, due to a small admin hiccup, the Malcolm McDowell tickets started at 400. So you will have had the 85th ticket.

• Like 1

I ended up with 485 for Malcolm McDowell and I went straight for his VT. Had to be less than 100 infront of me in the main general queue too.

Fear not. I gather that, due to a small admin hiccup, the Malcolm McDowell tickets started at 400. So you will have had the 85th ticket.

The person who made the error admitted their mistake and seemed a tad embarrassed

Does anyone know if the same thing happened with Charles Dance? A friend got ticket number 520 after going straight to him as the doors opened.

It was super bust today; far more so than I remember it being in previous years. It did take the enjoyment out of browsing the stalls, but can't be helped.

agreed

I thought it was busier last year to be honest but then I had a lot more guests to meet last year, so maybe that influences my opinion. At least the weather was decent this year.

I thought it was pretty harsh that the Jenna morning queue got let in before the main queue rather than at the same time. (Maybe Gillian queue too? I couldn't see over there) Not only were they able to get their VTs for the designated big guest of that queue they were able to get VTs for the others too! I ended up with 485 for Malcolm McDowell and I went straight for his VT. Had to be less than 100 infront of me in the main general queue too. That's my only gripe of the day, a part from that I had a great time meeting guests, all of them were awesome.

hi mate it was nice to meet you today I got all the autos I wanted John was amazing wasn't he did you get a tickle from john how did the rest of your day go

Edited by Starbug

Initially I was really irritated as the gold pass queue actually started getting let in AFTER the normal queue. We were actually the last people (bar 2) inside and then had to wait as they'd run out of information sheets. This meant we were told we had to go to the back of the photoshoot queue! Which was mammoth. (We did buy tickets in advance but couldn't get online to get Billie's in the short online turn around before the shop closed).

Anyhow; I thought this was going be a disaster therefore and was unhappy at having paid for the gold pass only to stand in a massive queue etc. BUT the helpful lady behind the desk sorted us out; we got to leave the stupidly long queue (which really should be away from the main entrance as an idea) AND we had an awesome day :D so no harm done - brilliant!

John Rhys-Davies was fabulous - I got a huge hug, and the stag were lovely and polite and helpful all day. Fabulous.

So, overall EXCELLENT but maybe the gold wristbands could go out in advance or be given out before the queue moves in and be let in first? I have one for LFCC too and I'm worried the same thing will happen! Other than that - great stuff! Looking forward to tomorrow :D

hi mate it was nice to meet you today I got all the autos I wanted John was amazing wasn't he did you get a tickle from john how did the rest of your day go

Nice to meet you too buddy, I think everyone got a tickle from John Rhys Davis such an hilarious guy, ha!

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

sorry my friend we opened the doors at the same time each door some lines took longer for people to spread out then normal ? a first for this show and we will look into that for tomorrow but we did our job , we opened at the same time to the second we are all on our phones and counted it down to the opening so know one can say this .

hope that clears this up for you

showmasters

Does anyone know if the same thing happened with Charles Dance? A friend got ticket number 520 after going straight to him as the doors opened.

It was. The person controlling the queue told me that she accidentally started handing out tickets backwards. I was given 162 when he was on 400-something. I never got a chance to see him.

agreed

I thought it was busier last year to be honest but then I had a lot more guests to meet last year, so maybe that influences my opinion. At least the weather was decent this year.

It wasn't the number of guests I had to meet that was the problem, but the amount of people walking around, especially in the dealers' area.

sorry my friend we opened the doors at the same time each door some lines took longer for people to spread out then normal ? a first for this show and we will look into that for tomorrow but we did our job , we opened at the same time to the second we are all on our phones and counted it down to the opening so know one can say this .

hope that clears this up for you

showmasters

I don't think this is correct in afraid . I was 10th in the general entry queue and by the time anyone in our queue had been let in a large amount of the Jenna queue had gone in - I did leve the queue o find out what was happening [5 past 9] to find no queue member at the door entrance , nearest crew was stood at the admin desk texting - shame really as soon as I went in there was around 40 people in the line to buy photo tickets

One niggle in an otherwise excellent weekend was the change in duplicate photo policy. Previously, if you had a second shot and the first one turned out to be OK, the crew would let you keep both (obviously any duff ones would, understandably, be trashed). But this time the crew manning the printers flatly refused to allow me to keep both shots. I suppose they were sticking to the letter of the law that if you've bought one photoshoot ticket, one photo is all you're going to get, but I thought it which I thought was a bit stingy, given how things have been in the past and that said photo wasn't going to be of benefit to anyone else. (One of the crew members nearby didn't seem pleased with the new policy either, given the sympathetic grimaces she gave me!)

• Like 1

I had a few niggles this weekend, the main one being the venue. I've probably been a bit spoiled in that recent years I've tended to come on Mondays so have usually been there on quieter days but the overcrowding, especially around the dealer area, made things very difficult at times.

I was also a bit annoyed that there were no signs up saying that Charles Dance wasn't personalising later in the day. I had already paid for two items, one I wanted personalised and one not but it wasn't until I got to the signing desk and he had started signing the pictures that I was told no personalisations due to the numbers they were trying to get through. I always understand this reason so it's not that I object to the reason but I think it should have been made clearer before money changed hands.

On the positives though, a good selection of guests who all seemed to be in the spirit of the thing. It was also very good to see how popular the likes of Geoff Hurst and Jack Charlton were. It would be really good to see a full (as possible) 1966 team reunion at a show in the future.

Last word on the crew, I am sitting here right now aching quite a bit from one and a bit of walking round the stadium concourse but it has just occurred that a lot of the crew will have been doing two or three days of that while remaining helpful and friendly. No mean feat that!

• Like 1

Previously, if you had a second shot and the first one turned out to be OK, the crew would let you keep both ...I thought was a bit stingy, given how things have been in the past and that said photo wasn't going to be of benefit to anyone else.
I wonder if it's the old story of a small minority spoiling it for everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a certain number of people who were deliberately trying to make the first shot "just not quite good enough" so they ended up with two shots for the price of one....

Previously, if you had a second shot and the first one turned out to be OK, the crew would let you keep both ...I thought was a bit stingy, given how things have been in the past and that said photo wasn't going to be of benefit to anyone else.
I wonder if it's the old story of a small minority spoiling it for everyone. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a certain number of people who were deliberately trying to make the first shot "just not quite good enough" so they ended up with two shots for the price of one....

Agreed. I'd got an errant lock of hair which kept falling down unless I tucked it away and then didn't move my head as I inched forward in the queue... It dropped down again for Jenna's photo and ideally I'd like to have redone it, but they were busy and the crew girl pointed out there's nothing they can do (a little sympathy would have been nice, but oh well :P). If everyone complained they'd be there all day - they only really need to redo the ones with flash on glasses or blinking.

However with the Indy bike shoot, I was sure I'd blinked, even as the photographer said "OK done". I asked him as I got off if I'd blinked, he checked and said no. Being sure I had, I asked again, but he still said no. We got the photo and sure enough, one eye was shut (I could see the dark eyelid from lack of sleep!). Admittedly I had smiled in such a way that my eyes had narrowed slightly to slits, but my right eye was clearly open and my left clearly shut. When I showed the crew girl doing the queue and the photographer, they both agreed I was right (the photographer couldn't have seen it on the tiny LCD screen) - but the crew lady handing the photos out was less convinced. I had to really make my point that my eye was shut - rip the photo and throw it away if you have to, but please can I have both eyes open!

In trying to ensure no blinking the second time, my smile wasn't quite as nice and my hair wasn't quite as good either... but at least I'm looking at the camera, so hey ho!

Having though about it if a lot guests had no posed photos signs up then i wonder how so many people just turned up with no intention of MEETING the guests AND getting an autograph but just held a camera up and snapped away and no one noticed this was going on? When i was waiting for Bonnie i counted at least five people just turn up and take photos of Mr McDowell. That is one thing that really grinds my gears the large amount of gawpers that think that they can just turn up when they feel like it and take photos of who they want and then bugger off. I mean there wasnt much room to move about in there at the best of times so to contend with a large amount of extra people that just want a quick photo of a guest or two then sod off back home again is a bit too much to bear. By all means come to the show but if youre not prepared to meet the guests and pay for an autograph and just turn up to get a free quick snapshot of some one then please dont....

Having though about it if a lot guests had no posed photos signs up then i wonder how so many people just turned up with no intention of MEETING the guests AND getting an autograph but just held a camera up and snapped away and no one noticed this was going on? When i was waiting for Bonnie i counted at least five people just turn up and take photos of Mr McDowell. That is one thing that really grinds my gears the large amount of gawpers that think that they can just turn up when they feel like it and take photos of who they want and then bugger off. I mean there wasnt much room to move about in there at the best of times so to contend with a large amount of extra people that just want a quick photo of a guest or two then sod off back home again is a bit too much to bear. By all means come to the show but if youre not prepared to meet the guests and pay for an autograph and just turn up to get a free quick snapshot of some one then please dont....

I don't think anyone is crass enough to turn up purely to wander round snapping low quality photos from a distance - most snappers I saw had little point-and-shoot cameras, so from the distance involved and with the low/tungsten lighting, they'd not be worth the hassle to be honest.

I wish crew would shepherd people away so the snappers aren't holding the moving crowds up. Especially at CMK, where walkways are narrow.