Latest Guest Announcement - NEIL MCDERMOTT

showmasters

Neil and I, we go way back. As I do with most of the Cast and Crew who were FILMING down here in SOUTHEND (My Hometown may have a rough reputation but... I wouldnt change it for the World) on LOCATION for EASTENDERS back in 2011, being on first name terms with the Director, 1st A.D. etc etc.

You may think I'm joking but nope.

In all seriousness though, the Crew got used to me hanging around taking photos of them (like I may have mentioned before its the technical side that interests me) and even got on good terms with the Security... (Including Grant Hall who was a Stormtrooper in Jedi and Harrisons stand in on Last Crusade) So much so that I was able to be shot and appeared as "Man with umbrella on beach when Whitney runs over to Robs body."

"TAKE 1!!!!!!! ANDDDDDDD ACTION!!!!!!!"

IMG_5499_zps2ebfde09.jpg

• Like 1

Neil and I, we go way back. As I do with most of the Cast and Crew who were FILMING down here in SOUTHEND (My Hometown may have a rough reputation but... I wouldnt change it for the World) on LOCATION for EASTENDERS back in 2011, being on first name terms with the Director, 1st A.D. etc etc.

In all seriousness though, the Crew got used to me hanging around taking photos of them (like I may have mentioned before its the technical side that interests me) and even got on good terms with the Security... (Including Grant Hall who was a Stormtrooper in Jedi and Harrisons stand in on Last Crusade) So much so that I was able to be shot and appeared as "Man with umbrella on beach when Whitney runs over to Robs body."

I remember all that when they were filming down Southend in and around Peter Pans and the Seafront amusements. I live in Basildon and we had a bit of a nose one day. It was out of season wasn't it and proper cold if I remember rightly?

Edited by jonathan

I remember all that when they were filming down Southend in and around Peter Pans and the Seafront amusements. I live in Basildon and we had a bit of a nose one day. It was out of season wasn't it and proper cold if I remember rightly?

God i'm missing out, i'm too 'up north' in Essex haha!

It was June they were filming :)

The first day I saw them filming was Wednesday (8th June) on the Saturday they filmed the first scene to be broadcast outside the Hotel on the Cliffs (which through impressive CGI was renamed "The Regal") on the last day they were down here, then went back to Elstree and a week later came back for two days shooting.

IMG_4942_zps528de527.jpg

The Monday of the shoot they were filming at a Fish and Chip restaurant, then the next setup was ironically down the road from where my Grandmother lives and then they filmed outside a bedsit.

On the last day (Tuesday) they were filming in the Amusements and between breaks June came out for a sit down and a cigarette and we had a nice chat about what she thought of Southend. Then the final scene was between June and Polly, with this being shot down the Seafront there were people who were roped off by barriers who would bleat down their phones:

"ERE, guess wot! Guess whos right in fron' of me! DOT COTTON! YEAH!"

Then of course you'd have people driving along the Seafront and yell from their cars "WOOO HOOO ITS DOT!!!!" obviously a logistical nightmare for the Director having to reset and what have you, and then after different Camera setups and what have you Dee (1st AD) called out "AND THATS A WRAP IN SOUTHEND!"

IMG_6130_zps07ca6f75.jpg

June even though at 84 was most certainly a Fan favourite, the Mother and son next to me wanted her Autograph, and I leant my pen so that both that and the shirt could be given to June between takes. It says a lot in my book that someone of her age and professionalism would do that.

IMG_6183_zpsde685010.jpg

Was kind of weird because even though I wasn't officially a member of the production everyone on set was used to seeing me with my Camera. And so it was sad saying "Buh bye."

Look, I don't mean to be pedantic or anything... lol.

But with this video (heavily shot in Southend) at 2:25 Whitney and Fatboy are at the START of the Pier...

(At 3:26 right hand frame is the cafe that Jamie Oliver was filming at)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwJcQtT7A0[/media]

And at 4:25 both of them are at the end.

As someone who has ACTUALLY walked on this Pier SEVERAL times theres no way that they could have run that distance in 2 minutes, I doubt even Jessica Ennis would be able t- damn, I sound a wee bit too pedantic.

Anyways this was a terrific scene (The Stuntman bashed his head and had to be airlifted to hospital)

Edited by KingRichard76

OK so it wasn't out of season lol but it wasn't all that warm as far as I remember but then when is it? lol

Warm? In Southend? Sorry? I don't understand the concept :)

On the subject of Southend and the Pier, if you're in the area in the next two weeks Only Fools and Horses are at the end of the Pier, I (for obvious reasons can't say too much about it i.e. discussing other events and what have you) to give you an idea check out my Twitter have posted a few instagram pics.

"Its about time we had a bit of class here in Southend © KingRichard76 all rights reserved. KingRichard76 appears courtesy of KingRichard76 productions."

• 3 weeks later...

have to admit I'm surprised whom ever posted this announcement (and also on the CM website) did not put Star Trek or Captain America as I don't watch Dr Who but would consider meeting him for Star Trek First Contact and if I hadn't decided to imdb.com all the announced guests just to make sure of whom I need and whom I don't, I would never have given Neil a second look with the tag of "Doctor Who" :huh::help:

so may I recommend adding at least the Star Trek tag :coolthumb:

will be looking out for a Trek picture as I assume, as you only mentioned Who, that that's pretty much all the photos there'll be?

thanks

surfy sah xx