hotel hold charges

Atlantis_Buff

Most hotels do this to cover anything you could charge to your room over your stay.

I always pay on arrival these days as then they don't do this but it does mean, if at the Hilton, you can't buy food or drink from the bar after a certain time so it has some drawbacks.

What normally happens is that when you check in, the receptionist will ask if you would like them to take a swipe of your bank/credit card to pay for any extras while you're staying there. If you say yes, they will get you to authorise up to a certain amount. That amount will then be ringfenced for the duration of your stay.

If you say no, you would prefer to pay cash as you go along, then they will allow you to do that and they won't ringfence anything on your card.

One problem i have had several times in the past at hotels is they freeze the amount of your room bill on your card when you check in. Then when you check out they take the amount for your room but the frozen amount is still frozen so in effect i had to have double the amount of the room charge on my card for it to go through and it has taken them days to unfreeze the amount they had on hold originally.

This has happened to me about 3 times at different hotel chains.

Edited by Ophelia

one thing i can suguest when it comes to drinks is offen people will take a bottle of drink and some snaks with them and keep them in a bag in their rooms so that they dont have to pay for drinks in the evening. this saves money and solves the problem of whether or not you can buy drinks in the evening. i have always taken a 2L bottle of pop and some bisquits/crisps with me and kept them in my bag and the hotels have never complained.

im just worried as having milton keyenes the week before im going to be pretty dam skint i cant afford them to put on a hold and the charge me for room. I didnt realise you could not just pay them cash

You could try and ring them up and ask to pay for your room now? However bear in mind this may negate your right to cancel before 4pm on the day etc you would have to check. I know the Park Inn always let me pay for my room before the event but I've never tried with the Hilton. If they do let you pay before hand make sure you get email confirmation or a receipt and they will still probably freeze £50 on your card on the weekend if you want room and out of hours bar service

You can pay for your room using cash - I've done it several times. They just like the card when you book as a guarantee I guess? If you pay by cash or debit or credit card on check in they will not freeze anything extra on your card/account :)

They always warn you at the Hilton if you do this that you will not be able to buy drinks/food out of hours too so they are good at keeping you informed.

Edited by Corinne_Brown

You can pay for your room using cash - I've done it several times. They just like the card when you book as a guarantee I guess? If you pay by cash or debit or credit card on check in they will not freeze anything extra on your card/account :)

Excuse the newb question - but does this mean they don't take anything off your card beforehand? Booked my room online and not sure what happens now.

• Moderators

they don't take any money until you arrive. on arrival you'll be asked if you want to pay by card and put that card on the room so you can charge things to the room or if you just want to pay for the room upfront (often in cash) and then pay for everything else as you go in cash. the card you give when you book is as a guarantee - if you don't show up and haven't cancelled the room then they'll usually charge the first night to that card (I haven't checked the exact policy on this at the Hilton)

Excuse the newb question - but does this mean they don't take anything off your card beforehand? Booked my room online and not sure what happens now.

It depends on the type of booking you made - if you went for the cheapest deal (which is usually a pay upfront no cancel option) then payment will be taken

if like most of us you went for the more flexible can cancel option then no money is taken before you arrive - the card is used a a guarentee