CLOUD ATLAS

timelord81r

Saw Cloud Atlas tonight, extremely complex, at times confusing, engaging, long, emotional, enthralling, BRILLIANT!

how this was overlooked at the oscars is crazy, its a work of art.

"Our lives are not our own, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future"

Love....Hope....Courage.....

its excellent, but you must go into it with an open mind & pay attention, and I think viewing trailers and things multiple times before also helps you get your head into the different time periods & style, ambitious and refreshing film making. its not perfect, it has flaws, some is left to interpretation and im not 100% sure i 'got' everything that was there, but i got enough, its a 3 hour movie and id happily watch it again right now, (cant say that about lincoln that i saw recently lol) its not a linear movie but the story and message is i think. its complex, not once was i bored. lovely, dare I say breathtaking movie. and even if someone doesnt get any of it at all, I still think there is enough there to entertain. I just dont see how this film was overlooked in every category at the oscars and almost every other awards.

• Like 1

I've been unsure what to make of this film and i've been not too bothered about going to see it, though your post has really turned my opinon around it sounds really epic the way you describe it and i really want to go see this now.

I hope I have not bigged it up too much, I was worried I had in my own head as the trailer really hooked me, a few minutes into the film and I was like, hummm, but then the film hooked me for 3 hours. I do however think its a marmite film, you will either love it or hate it. as the saying goes. im really intrigued to see how I find a second viewing, id act fast though, it seems its only on a limited release, most places that are showing it are only having 1 showing a day, think it came out last week. im hoping i get another chance at the cinema, but ill deff buy the dvd

• 4 weeks later...

yeah I thought although it never felt dragging or long cos I really was loving it, i thought that much of the jim broadbent old ppls home stuff could of been cut and the film wouldnt of lost anything at all, it seemed more there for light relief as all the other story lines were pretty full on.

p.s i actually liked hanks gangster, which a few ppl have said is a weak part of hanks in this movie.

Edited by timelord81r

yep the score (esp the main theme which is partially in the trailers) is brilliant, as is the acting and so much of this movie, how can such a vast and complicated production of such a good movie be so overlooked on oscar night?

Unfortunately it happens every year - many people who should have been nominated are not. Apparently Cloud Atlas score is one of the best of last year and was never even nominated. Halle Berry was excellent in this film and she also never received her deserved nomination.

• 1 year later...

so, finnaly I watched it for a second time, i was a little worried perhaps i wouldn't love it as much, i did, beautiful movie. so much is about fighting for good no matter the odds and that love transcends, and within that reincarnation (afterlife?), ever lasting souls and everything connects. cause and effect. extremely complicated, for example the meaning of the comet style birth mark & how that connects to all the other themes, which adorns the main hero in each time period. but you know what, even with it being very complicated, its just an amazing, emotional and enjoyable movie. the main message I took from the film was, stand up/fight for what's right, even if its against the odds. and i also that its important to love and that love transcends.

• 11 months later...

Really enjoyed this the other week - Was worried that it may be a little too coplicated for even me but if paid attention to then the themes and strings all flow together and it weaves a lovely compelling story. Well worth a look :thumbup: