Guest Announcement Gene Cernan Apollo 17 moonwalker

showmasters

as a non collector of space related stuff, who is the most expensive autograph out there among the rest outside of Armstrong?. are they all basically the same?.How much is Armstrong these days, a tidy amount i should imagine?.Is Gene Cernan rare?

Edited by loveamyadams

I've just looked at the website of a highly reputable European dealer in space autographs and collectibles (I won't mention the name so as to avoid breaking any rules on selling on here) and he has a non- personalised signed Armstrong Apollo 11 portrait photo for sale for $5950. He also has a signed stamp block cover for $1495 and an earlier signed photo for $1895. With Armstrong, as with any astronaut, the value will vary a lot depending on what the item is, the condition and the provenance.

I'm not sure I would class Gene Cernan's autograph as an item as being especially rare, from what I've seen he has been no stranger to the signing circuit over the years and I guess must have signed fairly large numbers of other items down the years as well. However, to have him over here at a signing event like Autographica is fairly rare, I believe this is only the second time he has done Autographica and at his time of life its an impressive accomplishment that the Autographica Team have managed to get him back again. For the money that he appears to be charging at this event I think the price is comparatively very reasonable. I suppose you could pick his signature up from a dealer cheaper but then you don't get the buzz (no pun intended!) of meeting him at the same time.

In terms of who the most expensive non Armstrong autographs would be, I suppose it depends if you mean buying a second hand item from a dealer or who is the most expensive from the Astronauts who sign for a fee. John Young doesn't do in-person signing events but does custom mail-in signings with a company in the US. His base fee is usually around the $500 mark, Buzz Aldrin is probably the most expensive of the Astronauts who does in-person events (although I'm not even sure how many of those he will be doing in the future), the most recent fee I've seen for him is $500 as well, although that does seem to have increased from what he was charging at Autographica last year.

I couldn't say who the most expensive one would be on the secondary market but I would suspect that unfortunately these would tend to be the ones who died much younger and maybe didn't sign as many autographs. I would think any members of the Apollo 1 crew would fetch a high price as would the likes of Ted Freeman, CC Williams and Elliot See.The same dealer I mentioned earlier has a Gus Grissom signed cover for sale for $949 for example.

• Showmasters Admin

Well

Here we go on that old chestnut.

I do believe and have always done, that Buzz and Neil landed together and therefore technically they are both the first to land on the moon. They flew on the first mission to land on the moon and when the lunar module touched down then i believe we should view the crew as a whole. As far as i am concerned Buzz has never really received the credit and for all of you who have met him, be assured you really did meet one of the two astronauts that landed on the moon First.

No doubt about Gene Cernan though he was and will probably be the last man on the moon.

Have fun with that thought.

Dave Phillips

• 2 weeks later...

Well

I do believe and have always done, that Buzz and Neil landed together and therefore technically they are both the first to land on the moon. They flew on the first mission to land on the moon and when the lunar module touched down then i believe we should view the crew as a whole. As far as i am concerned Buzz has never really received the credit and for all of you who have met him, be assured you really did meet one of the two astronauts that landed on the moon First.

No doubt about Gene Cernan though he was and will probably be the last man on the moon.

Dave Phillips

Hi Dave. Great space guest again, you guys consistently deliver on this and Buzz has been a great guest, but Buzz , the first man on the moon ! I thought it was pretty much universally accepted that Neil is classed on his own as the first man on the moon. If you go by Buzz's own account on the recent Neil Armstrong documentary, he also claimed that their success in landing was down to Neil as his flying ability and nerves of steel were essential in bringing the landing lunar landing module down succesfully. I agree that the role Buzz played isn't always recognised as highly as Neil but that all important first step on the moon was all Neil. Still, guess it's all semantics really as they could both claim they were both in the first spacecraft that landed on the moon. Either way, we are all lucky to get to meet such great guests.

• 2 months later...

Well

Dave Phillips

Hi Dave. Great space guest again, you guys consistently deliver on this and Buzz has been a great guest, but Buzz , the first man on the moon ! I thought it was pretty much universally accepted that Neil is classed on his own as the first man on the moon. If you go by Buzz's own account on the recent Neil Armstrong documentary, he also claimed that their success in landing was down to Neil as his flying ability and nerves of steel were essential in bringing the landing lunar landing module down succesfully. I agree that the role Buzz played isn't always recognised as highly as Neil but that all important first step on the moon was all Neil. Still, guess it's all semantics really as they could both claim they were both in the first spacecraft that landed on the moon. Either way, we are all lucky to get to meet such great guests.

Having studied a lot about the Apollo missions and also the Russian ones, I regard all astronauts and cosmonauts as special people as the tasks were so difficult to accomplish and incredibly dangerous (so many have died on both sides). Being FIRST on the moon is certainly a merit and not just a statistical consideration but in my view any person who went to the moon, including the astronauts who didn't actually land, are in the same league. :king:

Said that, let's hope all of them don't start charging as Buzz does. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

This all seems to have become a lucrative market. Who decides on the price. Is it the Astronauts themselves? Are there any items they would sign for free (such as recent books). As a kid I used to mail off photos to NASA astronauts and get them back for free.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Steve

Welcome to the real world of 2013 where Airplane tickets cost the earth. Hotel accommodation doesn't get any cheaper, Fuel bills, and the fact that no,one does anything for free anymore. The fact is these shows cost an absolute fortune to put on and run.

Dave Phillips

P.S A loaf of bread is also no longer sixpence. !!!!!