No horror posts ?

ShelleyMoonZombie

• Moderators

Originals often feel creepier due to the lesser effects etc. The grain, gritty presentation etc. Too many horrors these days are far too glossy and don't give a good presentation to add to the tension.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think it's one case of advances in technology not always being 'good' - too many movies now SEEM like movies, especially horror. I preferred the gritty nature of 70s/80s where it actually felt a little more real and claustrophobic etc.

Shelley - Yeah the loved ones is amazing. Pretty much blew me away. Very cool film! Got to say I enjoyed the new Silent Hill film, would not put it in my favourites but still cool film nonetheless.

JackNDaniel - I'm really interested in watching some of the Asian horror you mention, any good starting place you would recommend for Kurosawa? Your taste in Western horror is awesome.

I am loving all this horror chat people :-)

• Like 1

My least favourite remake has to be Nightmare on Elm Street. I adore the originals and after seeing what Rob Zombie did with Halloween I was quite excited to see what Samuel Bayer would do with NOES...it just didn't compare at all for me.

Shelley - Yeah the loved ones is amazing. Pretty much blew me away. Very cool film! Got to say I enjoyed the new Silent Hill film, would not put it in my favourites but still cool film nonetheless.

JackNDaniel - I'm really interested in watching some of the Asian horror you mention, any good starting place you would recommend for Kurosawa? Your taste in Western horror is awesome.

I am loving all this horror chat people :-)

Thanks Coles :)

For Kurosawa I'd recommend Pulse or Seance first. They were the first ones that I saw, and probably the most 'horror' of his films.The films of his i've got are:

Cure

Charisma

Pulse

Loft

Seance

Retribution

Tokyo Sonata

Doppelganger

Bright Future

Every one of those are masterpieces in my mind, but they're not really horror. They each have a very weird feel to them, and he really does create a world in each movie that you have to really be in the right mind frame to watch them. I do love them all(Tokyo Sonata is incredible) however Pulse will always be a favourite of mine.

The only ones available on DVD in the UK are Pulse, Tokyo Sonata and Bright Future. Cure, Charisma, Seance and Doppelganger are available from America, and you might have to hunt around for Loft, I think it's an asian DVD I have

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

My least favourite remake has to be Nightmare on Elm Street. I adore the originals and after seeing what Rob Zombie did with Halloween I was quite excited to see what Samuel Bayer would do with NOES...it just didn't compare at all for me.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with the Halloween remake. It certainly wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, and definitely watchable.

I have agree with NOES though. I never thought it was a good idea, and it ended up sucking.

Dawn of the Dead (original & remake)

Day of the Dead (original)

Zombie Flesh Eaters

Nightmare on Elm Street series (esp original & dream warriors)

Demons 1&2

Hills Have Eyes remake

Martyrs

The Woman

Eden Lake

Hostel 1&2

Descent

Excision

Silence of the Lambs

Near Dark

Let The Right One In

An American Werewolf in London