No horror posts ?

ShelleyMoonZombie

Very hard to narrow it down to one.......BUT I would say Devil's Rejects/House of 1000 corpses, Halloween (original), 2001 maniacs, 28 days later, Hellraiser would be my top 5.

Very honourable mentions to Insidious, The Loved Ones, The Victim, Stake Land which although are new films they are films I keep going back to.

Anything with Danielle Harris is always good as well ;-)

The Exorcist, i think comes out top.

Not in terms of effects (as they look so dated and difficult to take seriously) not even nesserly the story which is good but even then wasn't an original concept, even less so nowadays. It's the set peices that did it for me, and i never realised till after i first saw the film in the cinema.

(on re-release, i'm not that old!)

Particularly the scenes when the doctors are putting Regan through all manner of tests and wiring her up to strange machines, plus the settings and moods are of course added by the score Tubular Bells and the overall theme of lost faith, all come together to create an overwelmingly psycological Horror, that finds a place in your mind and never lets go.

• Like 1

For me, my favourites are:

John Carpenter's The Thing

Halloween

Prince of Darkness(noticing a pattern here)

Silent Hill

I like a lot of classic horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Phantom of the Opera etc

I also love Asian Horror, some of my favourites being:

Ring series

Juon(Grudge) series

Tale of 2 Sisters

Jurei The Uncanny

Noroi The Curse

All of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's films(all of which aren't purely horror, but still chilling)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Classics like ANOES and Halloween are ones I can watch over and over.

More recently I'm far more into European stuff like French, Swedish etc. They're just a lot more imaginative and pushing the envelope compared to the usual US stuff.

• Like 2

Talking of foreign horror Martyrs is one I go back to a lot.

Micheals Killer - I cannot wait for Lords of Salem. I had quite a lengthy chat with Patricia Quinn about it and it sounded like they had a blast making it. Is it as awesome as i hoped then?

If anyone knows me, they know that John Carpenter's Halloween is not only my favourite horror movie, but my favourite movie of all time.

Other classics for me are The Haunting (1963 version), Creature from the Black Lagoon, and all Universal Monster movies, The Omen - 1976 (which I rate over The Exorcist), Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), and The Changeling with George C. Scott, among others.

• Like 2

In terms of good old fashioned scares, gore & chills i love the Hellrasier series.

Though i find gothic/more adult versions of fairy tales to be the greatest in terms of story when done right.

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 1

Brian - I could not agree more with what you say about the Hellraiser series, I remember the first time watching it and I just wanted to know everything about the Hellraiser universe. There are some good graphic novels that expand it further.

• Like 1

I've read some of the books and comics that expand on the Hellraiser series. I love the figureines that were part of the Tortured Souls (also Infernal Parade) series that i felt could easily be an extended part of the Hellraiser world.

I'd love to see some fresh new take on the concept as long as it respects the source material, there was a planed reboot and talk of a possible tv show but who knows.

Very hard to narrow it down to one.......BUT I would say Devil's Rejects/House of 1000 corpses, Halloween (original), 2001 maniacs, 28 days later, Hellraiser would be my top 5.

Very honourable mentions to Insidious, The Loved Ones, The Victim, Stake Land which although are new films they are films I keep going back to.

Anything with Danielle Harris is always good as well ;-)

The Loved Ones ? FINALLY another fan, never hear anyone else talk about that...lol...The classics are the best, Predator, Aliens, Halloween, Fright Night, Lost Boys

• Like 1

Yeah I was wary of straying into sci fi horror, but the Alien films, especially Aliens are some of my faves. Likewise with Predator. John Carpenters films really are chilling, The Thing, Halloween and Prince of Darkness creep me out every time I watch them. I'd really like to get a hold of In the Mouth of Madness. Not seen that one yet

Halloween

Silent Hill

I like a lot of classic horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Phantom of the Opera etc

Ring series

Juon(Grudge) series

Tale of 2 Sisters

Jurei The Uncanny

Noroi The Curse

All of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's films(all of which aren't purely horror, but still chilling)

most of my fave films are Japanese/Korean....much better than the shoddy american remakes, is the new Silent Hill film any good ?? I have mt#y reservations watching the trailer..

• Like 1

Ignore David, it is good :thumbup: hahaha

i'm a hardcore Silent Hill fan, so it swayed my opinion of it, but I really did enjoy it. Not one of the best movies ever made by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was good. Adelaide is brilliant as Heather and the visuals are as good as the first film i'd say

Halloween

Silent Hill

Ring series

Juon(Grudge) series

Tale of 2 Sisters

Jurei The Uncanny

Noroi The Curse

most of my fave films are Japanese/Korean....much better than the shoddy american remakes, is the new Silent Hill film any good ?? I have mt#y reservations watching the trailer..

Good to see someone who has the same view as I do on the asian horror! I've watched most of the remakes and can enjoy them for the most part, probably because they have good source material, being based on masterpieces! Can honestly say that I always prefer the originals though. Some of the stuff coming out of Thailand is pretty good as well recently

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ignore David, it is good :thumbup: hahaha

i'm a hardcore Silent Hill fan, so it swayed my opinion of it, but I really did enjoy it. Not one of the best movies ever made by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was good. Adelaide is brilliant as Heather and the visuals are as good as the first film i'd say

Hey I love Silent Hill too :P I just thought the first one was a lot better. The script, story and acting certainly were for me anyway. I suppose I expected too much considering how much I liked the first one.

• Like 1

Aliens over Alien, really? In terms of Horror, the original offers more tension, genuine scares and gore over any other Alien movie to date.

Aliens is a great action sci-fi, but serves only as a big budget version of the original story simply going with a bigger/more is better approch. It's easily the most popular and has some of cinemas most iconic set peices, but it losses the essence of Alien in all the bravado.

Prometheus comes close to capturing some of the same elements as the original though suffers slighty from adding too many varying elements. That said i'm still anticipating the next chapter.

The new one really isn't very good at all, which is a shame as I did enjoy the first much more than I expected to.

It's ok, unintentionally funny really, but not good..

haha i didnt think it looked as promising...will have to give it a go I suppose

Halloween

Silent Hill

Ring series

Juon(Grudge) series

Tale of 2 Sisters

Jurei The Uncanny

Noroi The Curse

Good to see someone who has the same view as I do on the asian horror! I've watched most of the remakes and can enjoy them for the most part, probably because they have good source material, being based on masterpieces! Can honestly say that I always prefer the originals though. Some of the stuff coming out of Thailand is pretty good as well recently

what would u say would be your worst remake ?? mines has to be Fright Night (I care not for Colin Farrell playing Jerry Dandridge one bit) and cant even bring myself to watch it

• Like 1

Haha I didn't even want to watch the new Fright Night!

Of the asian horror remakes, I really like Dark Water, it added a few more things into the story, and worked well. The Ring and Grudge remakes are decent as well. The Eye was pretty much identical to the original and seemed a bit pointless. Similarly Shutter, One Missed Call and The Uninvited didn't seem to change much. I don't think i've particularly seen any i've disliked, but they've just never been quite as good.

Halloween was another one where I actually really liked the new one(I imagine you did as well ;-)) but the original I found a lot creepier

• Like 1