Django Unchained

OverGeek

Set in the South two years before the Civil War, Django Unchained stars Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz).

Quentin Tarantino has created quite possible his finest film, bloody, ballsy and outright hilarious.

Everything from the soundtrack, the cast, the script all blend together with such accuracy, it eaisly makes this one of the most enjoyable films of the year.

Jamie Fox is in top form throughout the film and shows how formidable an actor he can be, especially the scenes with Leonardo DiCaprio who plays the proprietor of "Candyland," an infamous slave plantation, those shared moments can only be decribed as electric.

There are some pritty gruesome scenes, but for me that is never the focus of a Tarantino film, the dialogue is always the greatest asspect of his movies and Django delivers some truly great lines that are both funny and badass in equal messures.

I highly recomend Django Unchained to anyone who loves westerns and Tarantinos films.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Edited by Brian Cairns

i thought the funny bits were down right hilarious

the action bits were as good as you would expect from QT

i also though it dragged a lot at times and it really felt like I was in the cinema for 3 hours

good film but not a great film but I seem to be in a minority there

Christoph was the best thing about it though and fully deserves his awards and nominations

I thought it was OK but for me he hasn't done a film I've really enjoyed since Kill Bill 1.

I found it dragged being nearly 3 hours of dialogue filled scenes. I loved the soundtrack but found some of the comedy hammy and forced.

• Like 1

Seems you missed the point, it was intently hammy comedy. The lighter moments are really needed for dealing with such a serious subject matter.

For me the dialogue is what makes Taratino stand out above other directors, since you meation Kill Bill part 1 as QT's latest good film andini i assume that to mean your not a fan of part 2.

The action/violence of any QT isn't what makes his films great, it's the stories those films tell. Part 2 is the "western" to part 1's "eastern". You need both to get the full picture and to me i see them as one whole film as they are intended to be originaly.

when i'm watching a film i allow myself to be totaly immersed by it until it has finished so in no way did Django Unchained seem overlong.

I do agree however this is QT's best work since Kill Bill, though that's not to say i didn't enjoy Death Proof or Inglourious Basterds. I did also enjoy Christoph Walt performance too, i can't fault any of the casting choices, expect maybe that guy who played the aussie who blew up he was bad, but the scene was one of the funniest so i'll let him off! :P

I wouldn't say this is the greatest film ever, though it is highly enjoable throughout and i can't find any major fault with it.

Well we all have different tastes and thank goodness we do otherwise it would be a boring world. I am more Rodriguez than Tarrantino give me Planet Terror and Machete over Death Proof and Django Unchained any day - but I appreciate I'm in the minority there :-)

Far from it, i'm a fan of Rodriguez as well. I could hardly be the huge Tarantino fanboy i am if i didn't also love his associated films as well.

Planet Terror and Death Proof are intended to be watched together as a double bill of Grindhouse (also there combined name).

Also love From Dusk Till Dawn that Tarantino stars in of course as well as scripting the first section up to when they get to the Titty Twister.

Desperado is also great and i even like Four Rooms.

My favourite "Tarantino" film isn't even one of his, True Romance (by Tony Scott) is one of my top films of all time.

I'm not one who feels the need for others to agree or like the same things, i prefer friends with a diversity of tastes. I respect diffrences of opinion, just don't expect me to agree! :P

excellent film, but too long, far too long.

i agree a lot of ppl seem to of missed the seriousness of the film which is why there are hammy funny bits throughout.

the only thing i didnt like was the caption choices which most of the time took me out of the movie and there were too many flash back/dream scenes also.

overall though, loved it, some fantastic action, serious message, funny, waltz was great,

the taratino cockny with his ozzy friend seemed weird though, why the accents?

SLJ should of got some awards buzz tbh, I thought he was mesmerising & transformed totally from SLJ into this evil racist old man character

• Like 1

@timelord, i felt this was a straight forward narrative especially for a Tarantino film, there only was one or two flashbacks. The times Django saw his wife before they got to her i felt didn't take you out the scenes as they served as reminders who Django was doing this all for.

Btw Taratino isn't ment to be cockny he is doing a very bad aussie accent. Why where there three random aussies? mainly to add comedy to that scene i think.

I do agree the notices where a bit too much, though the are done in the style of an old western so i understand what Taratnio is trying to achieve there.

I wouldn't take any scenes away from Django Unchained to make it shorter, in fact i expect there will be more cut scenes when the dvd comes out.

the flash backs/dream stuff didnt take me out of the movie, i just think they could of been done better or not in there at all but i was ok with them, the captions took me out a bit though.

yeah hard to choose scenes you would remove but i do remember i guess when they are with leo on his candyland thinking damn it feels like ive been sitting here for 3 hours already and we aint no where near the end yet lol

excellent movie though,

lol really, that was aussie? interesting to hear it again, cos i sat there like damn thats a dodgy cockney accent, and was the older one aussie also? sounded american lol, maybe im remembering incorrectly

i thought the balance between spagetti western/ tarrentino balls out movie and serious piece on slavery ect was done really well.

The scenes with Leo and Candland are some of the best in the film. Like i say Tarantino films will always be narritive focused first and foremost. This is what i go to see a Taratino movie for, the monolouges are always the best parts in his films and always add extra weight to the moments when all hell does break lose.

Sorry ian, i am absolutly 100% without doubt that Taratino and the other two guys taking Django to the mine are all playing Australians (the other two actors are are actul Aussies).

And just incase your still not convinced here's John Jarratt talking about his and Taratinos roles in Django Unchained;

And a text based version of that interview;

http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/view.asp?a=19311&s=Interviews

Edited by Brian Cairns

• 1 month later...

I thought it starts off good but is ultimately unnecessarily long, boring and over-played for such a simple story that could have been told in half the time. The cartoon-like blood splatter, mis-placed humor (the hood scene with Jonah Hill) and multiple random cameos add nothing to the film which is effectively an extension of Tarantino's ego.

Edited by nicky

• 8 months later...