Questions from a ME convention Newbie

mflowers

Hi everyone,

well i was thinking about going to this con but had some questions as it would be my first ME convention.

(If Attending Questions)

1.) whats the difference between ME cons a SM, Will it be like LFCC or completely different

2.) how much is there to do?

3.) how busy are guest signings

4.) What are the visitor numbers like roughly

5.) What is the min age for for parties?

(If unable to attend)

1.) How does an Absentee pack work

2.)Will there be a Pre-Order service for Autgraphs like some other conventions (seen one or two without the service in the past)

3.) If succesfull would this con happen again

Only asking these as i want to go but am new to ME cons and also because distance may be a problem for me as im in London

Thanks and sorry if these questions are stupid :angel:

• Moderators

The main difference really is that the schedule is designed so that every attendee can do every single thing on offer - and obviously autographs are included in the entry package. The mornings are spent getting your autographs and (if silver/gold or you've bought them) photoshoots. There's usually a little bit of downtime in there while you wait for your group to be called into queues but the last several ME cons I've done there have been quizzes and stuff to entertain yourself with in your attendee pack. Every single person gets called through every autograph queue, so how busy they are depends on total attendee numbers - usually this is limited at somewhere between 800-1000. The afternoons are filled with guest talks and you can also bid for places in the guest encounters (12 attendees and a guest round a table for a chat and coffee).There is no minimum age for the parties.

I have never done the absentee pack thing but I think you just order it and it arrives a few weeks after the con. There is usually a pre-order service, yes. Whether there's another one is entirely down to the guys in the office! (Usually the events that go well they do continue with further ones!)

Edited by etmuse

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, it was helpful to me as well. I've booked this event twice and its' been cancelled twice so i am a bit reluctant to fork out again until I know things are firmly in place. A couple of questions from me:

above it says 800 to 1000 guests are likely. If you buy Gold package are you still going to spend ages in queues and lines to get your photo/signature? It doesn't really appeal to be hanging around doing quizzes from the programme or whatever while you wait to get called for your turn. I;m bringing my daughter (hopefully) and she is not very patient!

I know some people get dressed up for the evening events, but I presume it isn't compulsory. I'm not skilful with crafts and can't afford to buy costumes, so its unlikely we'd dress up unless we can put something together from things we already have.

Any info on the Friday drinks reception with guests thats included in Gold package would also be helpful.

I won't be dressing up. I can't afford to buy costumes either, and those LOTR costumes you can get on fancy dress websites are usually naff anyway. To be honest I wouldn't know where to get decent LOTR costumes that are really high quality.

So I'll just be in my favourite clothes :)

Thanks for the response, it was helpful to me as well. I've booked this event twice and its' been cancelled twice so i am a bit reluctant to fork out again until I know things are firmly in place. A couple of questions from me:

above it says 800 to 1000 guests are likely. If you buy Gold package are you still going to spend ages in queues and lines to get your photo/signature? It doesn't really appeal to be hanging around doing quizzes from the programme or whatever while you wait to get called for your turn. I;m bringing my daughter (hopefully) and she is not very patient!

I know some people get dressed up for the evening events, but I presume it isn't compulsory. I'm not skilful with crafts and can't afford to buy costumes, so its unlikely we'd dress up unless we can put something together from things we already have.

Any info on the Friday drinks reception with guests thats included in Gold package would also be helpful.

800 to 1000 is the absolute maximum. There have been events with 300 attendees or less.

Yoiur tickets will be called in groups. So you have an approximate time when you'll be where and won't spend too much time in line. If you should be busy (for example because your daughter lost patience ;)) you can go any time after your group was called.

There's really no big secret about the drinks reception. There's some tables, you join a group at one of those after getting a drink. There'll be chips and gummi bears as snacks usually. Then the guests are being led around from table to table and chat to everyone.