Welcome to Middle Earth!

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Welcome to Middle Earth!

We now have the final details sorted for the new Lord of the Rings and Hobbit convention. It will be running on 22nd to 24th March 2013 at the Hilton Metropole and we already have John Rawls (Yazneg) confirmed. And after speaking to many of the actors and crew at the London premiere a couple of days ago we're expecting to have a great guest line-up for you! The first few updates will be coming after New Year but we wanted to make sure you had the date for your diaries as soon as possible (and lets face it, everyone gets diaries and calendars for Christmas!).

The Middle Earth convention website is up and running now, and tickets are available from the online shop.

We know we've had a few false starts with our Lord of the Rings conventions, but this is something we really care about and we want to be able to bring you the very best convention we can. And with Middle Earth we know we can bring you something truly spectacular! Previous problems have been ironed out and approval has been given by the powers that be, so plans are well and truly underway to make this a convention we will be proud to put our name to.

• Like 1

Wow finally a convention not in America haha. Really hoping for some more guests especially Aidan Turner and Richard Armitage. I am so excited and can't wait for more guest announcements. If anybody wants to add me on Facebook you are more than welcome too

Edited by etmuse
Other events should not be mentioned on the forum
  • Like 1

Well this show certainly looks promising!! Like any show, I would imagine it will stand or fall depending on the strength of the guestlist. First-time signers and some big hitters (usual suspects - Viggo, Bean, Ian, Cate, Hugo, OB) would be a fantastic way of ensuring a big turn out - seems like stating the obvious but after over ten years of LOTR collecting I would love to fill some major gaps while starting up a Hobbit-based collection with a strong guestlist.

Obviously this won't come cheaply but for the big names I would certainly be prepared to dig deep!! After seeing the success of the recent Trek convention in the Exel, I really hope the same of guest quality can be obtained for Middle Earth!

• Moderators

Well this show certainly looks promising!! Like any show, I would imagine it will stand or fall depending on the strength of the guestlist. First-time signers and some big hitters (usual suspects - Viggo, Bean, Ian, Cate, Hugo, OB) would be a fantastic way of ensuring a big turn out - seems like stating the obvious but after over ten years of LOTR collecting I would love to fill some major gaps while starting up a Hobbit-based collection with a strong guestlist.

Obviously this won't come cheaply but for the big names I would certainly be prepared to dig deep!! After seeing the success of the recent Trek convention in the Exel, I really hope the same of guest quality can be obtained for Middle Earth!

While I have no idea of what ME are planning, I would be very surprised to see a first time event with the same calibre of lineup as the Trek event. I would expect this to be an event that starts fair sized and hopefully grows into something regular, with increases in ticket sales and then the ability to get some of the biggest guests if they want to come.

So I'm personally expecting some first timers from The Hobbit and a few familiar faces, but not a whole heap of 'big hitters' unless ticket sales are exceptional.

I'm sure ME will do everything they can to make this a fantastic event but I'm sure we're better off having realistic expectations.

While I have no idea of what ME are planning, I would be very surprised to see a first time event with the same calibre of lineup as the Trek event. I would expect this to be an event that starts fair sized and hopefully grows into something regular, with increases in ticket sales and then the ability to get some of the biggest guests if they want to come.

So I'm personally expecting some first timers from The Hobbit and a few familiar faces, but not a whole heap of 'big hitters' unless ticket sales are exceptional.

I'm sure ME will do everything they can to make this a fantastic event but I'm sure we're better off having realistic expectations.

Couldn't agree more!! I was thinking out loud really of my dream line-up... can't wait to see what the future holds!!

"not a whole heap of 'big hitters' unless ticket sales are exceptional."

Due to past cancellations and the inordinate wait in issuing refunds, I wouldn't imagine too many people will be jumping to buy tickets straight away - most will probably wait until at least a couple of weeks before the event, unless a major guest is announced (for me Ian Holm would suffice :smile: ).

• Moderators

It's the way conventions work sadly. More tickets sold, the more amount of money to get more/'bigger' guests .. so initial low ticket sales can hurt an event in that respect.

Obviously I completely understand what's happened before and that some may feel wary about it, but at the same time that can cause the problems. It's always a tricky situation.

have to take into account also that the convention has only been announced a week so people have probably not heard about it much yet. I would love to meet anybody, both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Like what has been said already, the more tickets sold the more guests invited etc also it is Christmas so people ain't got the money at the moment......watch this space :smile:

I would love to meet anybody

Unfortunately, I would imagine the majority of potential attendees wouldn't feel the same way. I know I don't. It would take a lot to get me to the event, get Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, or any big guest like that and I'm there. It would also obviously be preferable to have quite a few of them. I know they've only just started announcing guests, but the 3 they have announced so far have not interested me at all.

I think maybe be good idea for this first show to lower excpetions as far as guests go. Most of the big hitters people are talking about. Viggo Sean Bean and Cate are unlikely to do events like this. Please remember some of the smaller guests can be the best. jed is a great guest and a really nice guy. JRD is always great in talks as is Andy and Craig Parker so I would love to see them. attend.

Yes but my point was that the majority of people may not be satisfied with an event that does not meet high expectations. Craig has done several events over the years and many people will have met him. Jed may be 'a nice guy' but he is not major enough to draw me into going. JRD I will agree has great stories and would always be a welcome guest, but still, he is extremely common on the con circuit.

You may say that the bigger names are unlikely to do an event like this, but that kind of goes against all the positive posts that Jason has been putting where he says that he has lots more contacts now and is able to get bigger and better guests. THAT is why the expectations are high. The sad fact is most attendees won't book for an event based on 1 or 2 guests who are nice guys, even the likes of JRD. People want to meet more people who they have never met before that played key roles in the movies.

• Like 1

Aidan Turner......Craig Parker......Aidan Turner.......Dean O'Gorman.......Aidan Turner.......Dominic Monaghan.........Aidan Turner.........Billy Boyd........Aidan Turner.......Richard Armitage.........Aidan Turner...........David Wenham.........Aidan Turner...........Andy Serkis.........Aidan Turner..........Any of the dwarves actually

Just a few wishes there.....

Oh, and erm, Aidan Turner :whistling:

• Like 1