Party music and DJ

raiden58237

Hey guys n girls

If you were at chevron 7.9 then you would know straight away what Im about to say about the evening parties. No offence to the DJ of course but the music being played at 7.9 was a bit rubbish. The music being played was not the normal chevron kind of music. I think the only song everyone actually danced to was the Gangnam Style song on Sunday night and the Doctor Who song. Saturday night people only danced because of Bill Dow and Jennifer Calvert. Normally we would not need any guest to get us up on the dance floor and yet this time did. At one point the DJ even turned around and shouted out "why is everyone leaving the dancefloor" or something along those lines. All Im saying is at the next chevron I think the music that is played needs to be picked more carefully. If anything why not start a suggestion topic or suggest songs underneath here that people would like to hear played at the next chevron and the Doctor Who song can only be played once per night XD.

I'm not much of a dancer but I agree that it wasn't the usual stuff from the previous Chevrons.

In the past there was a topic for the party music perhaps we can get that up and running and the chosen DJ can be directed to the forums for a bit of insight?

last cons iv been to they have songs like- star trecking and ghoste busters i think. surely we should include these sort of songs in the mix? and maby we could add in some these tunes like starwars theme tune or red dwarf? afterall they are scifi-ish.

Edited by stargate geek emily

OK, would seem I'm in the minority here because I actually enjoyed the music on Friday night! I'm not one for doing the 'con' dances like Star Trekking and Doctor Who, though I find them entertaining to watch. With a bad back anything that could end in me getting squashed or face planting just isn't going to happen. I have found them a bit repetitive in the past though. :whistling:

My friend and I both had a good dance on Friday night, but less so on Saturday night (though back pain probably played a small part in that if I'm honest). I guess the answer is a good mix of the 'traditional' Chevron and the sort of things that were played on Friday night so that everyone can enjoy 'throwing some shapes on the dance floor'! Yes I did just type that! :blush:

I don't go out a huge amount and I love to be able to dance, the same as everyone else and would be disappointed to not hear at least some of the music that caused me to not care that the dance floor was empty and get up and dance anyway! The consumption of a bottle of wine at the cocktail party had absolutely nothing to do with this of course! :angel:

Surprised people were dancing to Gangnam Style on Sunday, it was played on Saturday and the floor was empty!

Good to see the staples that got people up, like Macarena and Saturday night. Star Trekkin is not something I would dance to myself, and I never even knew a Dr Who dance existed until that weekend!

I don't know if its the music that was the problem, I thought the turnout was very low. Considering how many people had been in the hall during the day, the party numbers were much smaller, and those that turned up stayed outside in the zen garden foyer thing (a lot of people said it was too dark to see inside). We did not see any staff at the party nights (except for seeing Mark on the bridge when the guests were around) and we were actually wondering due to the low attendance maybe there was actually a better party somewhere else each night that we were missing out on? Did most people go to the pub each night or something?

I went to the pub all 3 nights and still went to the parties. I know Im an alcoholic lol. The turn out was kinda bad in general especially with Micheal Shanks being there. I was expecting it to be like 7.8 with Amanda Tapping. I danced to Gangnam Style on the Sunday night purely for a laugh (damn those who uploaded the videos). Saturday night I was more interested in hanging around the bar with a few mates because of the songs. I went in the hall and heard the music, instantly thought "back to the bar". I know there was another convention going on near by. Not sure what one it was though.

The problem for this 7.9 was that most of the people who do the dancing where at another event. As for the music played it was no different from any other chevrons before, also if your not happy with the music been played there was a request board put up or you can ask the DJ himself as I did on friday

I have to say I'm a tad bored of the parties now...I prefer to sit outside or in the bar and chat quietly with my friends and observe the fun going on from a distance at times....I have to say it was rather amusing to watch the bar fill up as the Celebs of 7.9 arrived to get a drink on the Saturday night......some fans moved faster than an Exocet Missile and were almost as quick to depart when some celebs left a wee while later.. :angel:

Edited by discodiva
  • Like 1

im not a big fan of dancing to things like DR WHO and othe stuff and i cant stay long in the hall with the music before my ears start ringing so i hang around outside the hall mostly at mste cons but i occasionaly like to go in and watch or join in with some of the scifi dances and stuff like- the makerana, dr who, star trecking and other scifi stuff. i think the scifi songs play a part in the cons. there fun to watch even if you don't join in.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I find the con songs such as dr who and star trekking are repetitive over at least 6 times per hour for those who don't actually dance to those songs such as myself even though humorous to watch others to do it no disrespect but a DJ should at least do all genres of music to cater for every person (I used to work in a nightclub and our resident dj always varied his music for every age group ) I have been to five chevrons now and the parties have dwindled down from the first one I did except for the Amanda tapping con as turnout was rather large, but I think if your going to do a party it has to cater for every generation not just the one group as our age range is vast and varied , so I now just sit outside and chat with my friends.

• Like 1

The problem for this 7.9 was that most of the people who do the dancing where at another event. As for the music played it was no different from any other chevrons before, also if your not happy with the music been played there was a request board put up or you can ask the DJ himself as I did on friday

Being one of those people who where at the other event I can't comment on the music being played here, but danced all 3 nights at the other one. I find the dance floor is usually empty if the guest's are in the bar as everyone seems to want to "hang" with them. Each to there own, but I go to a Con to have fun, dance and meet some fantastic mates. I meet the guest's during the day and if they turn up at night, that's a bonus but I don't go and hound them when there trying to relax.

So far I'll be at this one, but it's a long way off and If things go to plan and i do go I for one will be on that dance floor every night till I drop! :dance:

normally the DJ plays a mix of "Con Songs" and "normal" tunage and there is normally a suggestion board for songs wants. I will agree that this con had exceptionally quiet parties though, doh! :WINCE:

there were quite a few of us crew lurking around the bar/party but for a lot of us it was the final weekend of crewing 5 consecutive cons - a lot of people went to bed earlier than they may normally as we were all so tired! also, like others have said, we were chilling and chatting in the bar :coolthumb: I tend to like to try to do both, will run in from the bar when some of my faves come on but once I'm all Con-danced out or music comes on that I don't like, I will go back to the bar and chat to people that don't dance B)

surfy sah xx