Hallowhedon 5 - thoughts on the new con 'set up'

Elspeth

Hey guys!!

Having a brilliant weekend so far, the guests are brilliant and everyone is awesome as always :D

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the announcement regarding HW5?

We''ve just been told next year it's going to evolve into a more generic Halloween convention, it'll still have at least 3 Whedon guests but the other guests will be "supernatural" themed, which I think just means General supernatural type shows/films.

I don't quite know how I feel about this to be brutally honest. My overall I initial reaction is completely underwhelmed. I Was all set to buy my HW5 ticket tomorrow morning, but now I'm not so sure...

The reason I love HW events so much is the Whedon fans, we all watch all t he shows and have this in common. I feel reducing the Whedon from Hallowhedon will change the con dynamic and the attendees. If horror guests come I wouldn't be remotely interested in meeting them or meeting people from shows like ttrue blood, supernatural, vampire diaries etc etc.

In my opinion there are already too many shows to chose from for HW, because now we have the likes of SHIELD and everything too. Openning it up even further than Joss shows might even reduce people. Non Joss fans will still think of it as a Joss con and Joss fans may think it too general.

What are your thoughts?

I understand what SM/ME are trying to do and I don't want to complain but I'm just unsure of it all really...

I think after hearing how they intend to divert away from the Whedonverse, I won't be buying a ticket for next year. I don't like the idea of inviting other guests from a more wide range of tv. I like the cons being fairly small as Nick was saying it's not just factory. Are they just thinking of the money here and not the fans enjoyment?

Surely both have to come into it? They're not a charity after all, they have to cover their costs and while small conventions are awesome for us attendees, they can be crippling for convention companies. I haven't been to a Hallowhedon before because I have no interest in Buffy or Angel. I like Firefly though and was planning on buying a ticket just to meet Sean Maher but when he cancelled there was no reason for me to go. If however the event was expanded to include guests from other shows I like then I will seriously consider going next year. I'm sure there are others who feel this way too. I've always been made to feel that I'm the odd one out in not having liked Buffy or Angel, but there are a whole world of people like me that didnt watch or didnt like it who wouldn't attend the lineup as it is now but may do in the future if there were other guests.

• Like 1

Yes but not at the expense of the guests either. and it is HalloWHEDON. So if they wanted to do a halloween con they should have called it something else. I am well aware they're not a charity but money shouldn't be the main focus, especially when it comes before the people who pay for the con and keep it going. If they don't get the guests then people won't get tickets hence no more conventions. They're taking a big risk but maybe it will pay off

the people who pay for the con and keep it going.
There is the problem. Unfortunately attendance levels at Hallowhedon have been dropping. I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance for this specific event is lower than what is required for it to be a viable event to run (i.e. break even). By opening up to similarly themed shows then there is a chance that attendance levels will increase enough for the event to continue. Albeit in a slightly different format..

Interesting idea and I can understand the reasoning but I personally have no interest in general horror theme guests or those from shows like supernatural or the others mentioned so it's unlikely I'd be interested in anything outside the whedonverse guests I'm afraid. There would have to be a very rare or big name guest to get me to an event with such a mix from other shows/genres.

If however the event was expanded to include guests from other shows I like then I will seriously consider going next year. I'm sure there are others who feel this way too. I've always been made to feel that I'm the odd one out in not having liked Buffy or Angel, but there are a whole world of people like me that didnt watch or didnt like it who wouldn't attend the lineup as it is now but may do in the future if there were other guests.

But surely thats a good reason for not doing mixed show events, rather than encouraging them. Yes expanding the net further, it might pull in other guests you want, or it might not.

I see your point, but if you weren't interested in going before and you're not interested in whatever other guests they've got then you're not going to go either way, it makes no real difference, but at least it may appeal to a broader audience. I agree that mixed cons can be a bit hit and miss. I went to another con by another organiser that was mixed, I had no interest in 6 out of the 8 guests, but the 2 that I was interested in made it worth my while, even if I had no idea who the other 6 were. It's always a risk but if Hallowedon isnt bringing in enough attendees in it's current state then they have to make changes or it'll disappear completely.

• Like 2

I think this is a great idea. Wouldn't it be better to keep the Con going in some way rather than stopping it completely. Opening it up to similar themed shows could bring in more attendees and may be quite fun.

The first thread says 'at least 3 Whedon guests', I think that is an excellent compromise.

• Like 2

Hey guys!!

Having a brilliant weekend so far, the guests are brilliant and everyone is awesome as always :D

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the announcement regarding HW5?

We''ve just been told next year it's going to evolve into a more generic Halloween convention, it'll still have at least 3 Whedon guests but the other guests will be "supernatural" themed, which I think just means General supernatural type shows/films.

I don't quite know how I feel about this to be brutally honest. My overall I initial reaction is completely underwhelmed. I Was all set to buy my HW5 ticket tomorrow morning, but now I'm not so sure...

The reason I love HW events so much is the Whedon fans, we all watch all t he shows and have this in common. I feel reducing the Whedon from Hallowhedon will change the con dynamic and the attendees. If horror guests come I wouldn't be remotely interested in meeting them or meeting people from shows like ttrue blood, supernatural, vampire diaries etc etc.

In my opinion there are already too many shows to chose from for HW, because now we have the likes of SHIELD and everything too. Openning it up even further than Joss shows might even reduce people. Non Joss fans will still think of it as a Joss con and Joss fans may think it too general.

What are your thoughts?

I understand what SM/ME are trying to do and I don't want to complain but I'm just unsure of it all really...

I can understand where you are coming from as I used to frequent Whedon events many years abck and the fandom is unique. But I wonder if it is becoming harder to get specific Whedon guests and they need the extension to other guests to keep things fresh?

I can understand where you are coming from as I used to frequent Whedon events many years abck and the fandom is unique. But I wonder if it is becoming harder to get specific Whedon guests and they need the extension to other guests to keep things fresh?

I don't mind who the guests are really, its just nice to have a convention for fellow whedonites. Besides, its great to meet the guests AND the other con goers, if they mix I don't think we will have the same atmosphere

• Like 1

I don't mind who the guests are really, its just nice to have a convention for fellow whedonites. Besides, its great to meet the guests AND the other con goers, if they mix I don't think we will have the same atmosphere

I totally understand. The Whedonverse fandom has something special about it. It remains the themed conventions I have attended the most.

My only concern is that future Hallowhedon events may be at risk if numbers are low. If there are at least three Whedonverse guests, then there is still going to be a representation. I have been to mixed events before and found fandoms kept together.

• Like 1

Was a bit doubtful of there even being a HW5 after getting my autos yesterday, I have never seen such a big, empty room before...

That said, I'm even more doubtful of the whole generic thing. Don't want HW to fizzle out, I've been planning my vacation around it for the last three years (still miffed I missed out on the first one) but I'm not sure I'll love it as much with the new settings, three Whedon guests or not.

So instead of buying that gold today, I guess I'll just join the Moment 22 movement and wait to see where SM/ME are going guest- and theme wise.

I'm going to get a ticket, because I've always supported this event and trust SM, but if I don't like the direction the event takes and I end up paying for guests I have no interest in or the dynamic of the event and the fans changes next year then I won't be attending in the future, which will kill me as I supported the event since the day Hallowhedon 1 tickets went on sale.

But let's keep an open mind, it could still be awesome.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've always felt "Whedon" is bit general for a con. Yeah I get Buffy, Angel, Firefly even Dollhouse.. There's crossover there. Even Doctor Horrible.

But go further to Avengers or Sheild etc, and I don't think you're really attracting the same fan base. Avengers, for example, stretches much further than a Whedon fanbase. Not sure if my point makes any sense but hey lol

I'm intrigued by the new development and will certainly keep an eye on it. But again, it's very difficult to mix fanbases and offer enough for someone to want to come along. So it just depends who they get and what the mix is.

• Like 1

Was hoping for something if for no other reason than to counter any of the concerns already raised here. Although its so far away that anyone announced now could easily cancel so I could understand why that wouldn't be practical.

Will await further developments with interest.

• Showmasters Admin

I think anything that keep Hallowhedon going in some incarnation is always going to be great. I'm looking forward to the guestlist and then will hopefully be in a better place financially so I can afford to attend :)

Needless to say, I'm signed up because I had an awesome time at HW4 and REALLY want this con to continue but I am a tiny bit concerned, given how some of the other multi-fandom cons have gone in the past. Abrams Inc. (Lost/Fringe/Alias) - never got off the ground. Roadhouse - changed from Supernatural-only to include Vampire Diaries and Being Human - cancelled. Happily Ever After - seems to be lots of OUAT fans holding back from buying tickets to see what OUAT guests will be announced (while I watch both shows, I prefer Grimm, so would prefer most of my guests from that show but I'm signed up anyway so can't be picky).

Hallowhedon has always been a special case because although it features multiple shows, it has a far stronger linked fanbase because once you go Joss.... well, you know. ;)

Having said that, if the numbers are going down, maybe it's time to embrace other possibilities. I like a lot of supernatural genre shows (and if it means I get some Supernatural and/or True Blood guests after Roadhouse and Bitten were cancelled, I'm all for that). And Mark has said that there'll be a planned Whedonbase core of 3 guests, so I'm there and hoping it'll all work out...