Queueing For Talks..

discodiva

As in will there be a separate entry for the Gold ticket holders this time?...

I remember at Chevron 7.8 there was a bit of a scrum around the one door opening at the back where ALL ticket holders entered - even though there was another door further down which was closer to the front - aka where the Gold ticket holders sat...

I also remember that, even though the Crew very fairly and kindly called out numbers in order from lowest (Gold) to highest (Standard) and in groups of 10-20 that it was nigh on impossible to fight your way through a large melee of attendees, some of whom had NO intention of moving or leaving a clear way through for people to walk through.. :thumbdown:

I just thought that maybe splitting up entrances would be a more efficient way of getting people in without the scrum or some of us having to resort to loud requests for inconsiderate people to move out of the way...

:smile: :smile: :smile:

That's a good idea.

I had a very low silver ticket but there were people with higher tickets crowding the entrance so even when you number was called, trying to get through was a slow process and the next sections were being called through before I could get in. It is a relatively small area but more lines/sections and discipline is needed as opposed to bunches of people.

It was also very noisy and sometimes you couldn't hear the calls being made

Exactly what happened to me and my hubby too!!..

I made an effort to get up very early at 7.8 and queue for tickets so I had the chance of a decent low number for Gold this time and I'd like a fair crack at the whip of getting in at the right number so I get a decent chance at a seat near the front of the Gold ticket holders' rows this time...I understand that numbered seats are impossible but if you make the effort to try for a low number AND queue up at a reasonable time I think it's only fair to expect an easy entry... :smile:

Also it's no use saying "get there early"..a great deal of people do that no matter what type of ticket they have....it'd be a scrum if people started queuing at 8 in the morning!.. :whistling:

I agree....trouble is that there are those who will continue to try and get in before their number is called and simply WILL NOT move out of the way - I saw them in action last time... :whistling: ..and the crewmembers have to call the number blocks in fairly rapid succession...I've still been trying to fight my way through when the next batch of numbers is called and with the Radisson Hall if you all enter in at the back and do have a Gold you end up having to walk almost the length of the hall down to the front to get to your seat....it's only a suggestion that using the other set of doors might make the crush a little less overwhelming....

Mind you, I'm not sure if this event will be quite as packed as the ones attended by Amanda Tapping and RDA so maybe the crush won't be quite so bad.... :grump:

Not only that, I have been pushed out of the way several times, now pushing isn't nice but especially not when you are on a crutch, all the cons I have been Gold and entered with the standards or just at the very last cause they would just not let you through!

as a person with issues both with standing due to having broken my ankle 3 times now and poor sight only 40% in right eye I understand what you are saying.

I would like to say that in my experience most people are the chevron events are really helpful , though as my disability is not that obvious to most people I do get some comments from time to time and as I attend with a friend who has hearing issues and need stick to walk I often find it prudent to have a quick work with one of the stewards who will often put chairs out at the end of the arboretum by the door that we enter the hall through for those of us who need them and will try and help clear the way for the disabled attendees :smile:

I'm not talking about help for disabled attendees...my husband is walking disabled and in fact is well known to Too Tall because I always ask if I can queue for him to get our autos etc so I'm sure he would be accommodated immediately - the guys are excellent at this.......I'm talking about those of us "able-bodied" who want to abide fairly by the "calling by numbers" rule and would like to get in when our numbers are called without fighting our way through people who refuse to move out of the way, especially if only one entrance is being used for all ticket holders....especially if we made the effort to try and get an early numbered ticket because it's important to us this particular time...I am a HUGE Michael Shanks fan and queued from before 6 a.m. at Chevron 7.8 to get Gold ticket No. 20 in the hope that when my number is called I might be lucky enough (depending on how the chairs are put out) to get in the first 2/3 rows for his talk - and take some photos which hopefully might be good enough to go on his official website....yes, it can be seen for me to be "selfish" in this respect but I'm sure there are other Gold Ticket holders and, like the lady above, low numbered Silvers who would like to have the chance to get in when their numbers are called and get the best chance of a seat that they can.. :smile:

Edited by discodiva
  • Like 1

i was a silver for 7.8. i had to get there fairly aerly to quue at the hall. i move aside when gold are called i had a realy low silver/ but standerds tried to push past me all the same. i have epilepsy and so need a isle seat encase i have to leave the room but still sometimes people want me to move along so thy can have an isle seat. they do split the rows up saying gold seats, silver starts here, standard starts here so people still fairly do get seats they sort of paid for. its not like gold have to sit with standard thankfuly. and the staff are very helpful and do call a 2nd time for the gold. i think it would be helpful though if the staff make sure all the set lot they call out are in the hall before calling the next lot to prevent as much pushing and shoving. unfortunately down to time and money i dont think i'll be anle to attend the con in 2 weeks but will have to wait till beginning of next year. hopefuly like people say- hoprfuly it wount be quite as busy this coming one unlike ammanda/RDA cons.

HI discodiva Sorry i partly missed understood and no you are nor being selfish at all and i compleatley understand your point, and if i can help in any way i will be happy to do so :smile:

i was a silver for 7.8. i had to get there fairly aerly to quue at the hall. i move aside when gold are called i had a realy low silver/ but standerds tried to push past me all the same. i have epilepsy and so need a isle seat encase i have to leave the room but still sometimes people want me to move along so thy can have an isle seat. they do split the rows up saying gold seats, silver starts here, standard starts here so people still fairly do get seats they sort of paid for. its not like gold have to sit with standard thankfuly. and the staff are very helpful and do call a 2nd time for the gold. i think it would be helpful though if the staff make sure all the set lot they call out are in the hall before calling the next lot to prevent as much pushing and shoving. unfortunately down to time and money i dont think i'll be anle to attend the con in 2 weeks but will have to wait till beginning of next year. hopefuly like people say- hoprfuly it wount be quite as busy this coming one unlike ammanda/RDA cons.

• Like 1

I think the layout of the Radisson is really bad a for the talks, like at the conventions at the Park inn (Northampton) there is a big space outside the hall and they usually have signs saying 'golds queue here' 'silvers queue here' etc which are all spaced apart which is much better but I dont think there was much room to do this at the Radisson!

It's annoying and I hope people don't have bad experiences this time!!

Now that Showmasters have more experience of the venue I would certainly hope this is better organised.

The disorganised frenzy that was the last Chevron should not be repeated. This very topic was discussed at length on the 7.8 forum immediately after the event, I hear plenty of excuses why it cant be done but if they only have one entrance the entry times should be staggered. Gold should be 5 minutes before silver and silver 5 minutes before standard. Only the appropriate ticket holders should be allowed to assemble outside the immediate entrance having passed through a showmasters check for tickets. All others should wait before the steps. Not rocket science if you dont want numbered seats or cant use another entrance......

I, along with many others, rose early to get a low ticket and paid good money for a seat near the front - I didnt do that to have a stampede because of poor manners on the part of some attendees.

• Like 1

It would definitely be better if Gold ticket holders entered through the other door - less crowded and also less of a walk for people with disabilities!

I was gold 12 (or thereabouts) last time, and I ended up on the fourth row on the saturday, which did not amuse me! It was also why I didn't bother queuing early for better tickets on the sunday - there seemed little point when it doesn't get you a better seat!

Part of the frenzy is down to attendees too, not everyone followss instuctions. I've seen it before when they say we're only doing gold right now if your silver wait over there and standard come back in 15 minutes and people dont they hang about as if they might get in sooner

Which is exactly why I suggested that some of that might be avoided by at least separating Gold entry to another doorway....this is looking to be a very small Con guest wise, Gold have paid the most out for tickets, so I (and possibly a few others like me) would actually like to get a decent extra privilege of getting a chance of a seat as close to the stage as possible for my hard earned cash I've forked out this time...

Well you do if you are a gold ticket, seats are allocated near the stage with silver behind and then standard behind them its not like LFCC first come first served, then if its possible to do that at the venue if there is another door entry then its a good idea. (sorry if i sound difficult but the job I'm training to do is thinking of the logistics of filming.)

Thank you to Too Tall and all the others for managing a much better queue than ever before....'twas a bit of a race on the first night but after that it was much easier and more orderly and the Crew were awesome about checking tickets and "discouraging" queue-jumpers...

Much appreciated and made my weekend all the more pleasurable to get a seat I feel my hard effort was worth!..

Thank you... :)