Sign in to follow this  
showmasters

Thoughts and feedback from Jason

Nice feedback, but no mention of

a) the totally rubbish parties?

b ) the heavy handed staff on the sunday at stage B who wouldnt let the talk be filled when there was 100 seats empty and lots waiting outside to come in.(the show had started and was 5 mins in) Little things make fans happy, common sense being one of those.

I have to say, the Klingon party was rubbish, as ok there were the odd guest that came into the party but it looked as though like, ok let's all go into this Hugh warehouse type room, play thumping and annoying music and have, I believe no food was in there for the party guests.

I thought it would be, Klingons coming up to you and demanding you have fun! and it would be more enclosed and more like you would be on the ship with Klingons but apart from that, everything else was brilliant.

Anyone see Watchdog? I couldn't agree more with the comments, so I guess the moderators weren't able to delete or edit that. Finally our voices were heard rather than having everything being brushed under the carpet by the organisers!

Saw it and personally thought it was a complete waste of time. Said nothing of relevance, just vague accusations and a brief response from what I assume was Media 10. Nothing substantial investigated, nothing resolved. Pointless.

Not saying people don't feel they had issues, personally I had a great time but a brief few seconds on WD doesn't do anything. Sure I didn't get to do everything I wanted to but you can never do everything at these things at an event with so much going on.

I did see Watchdog. I particularly enjoyed the footage which accompanied the statements

'Overcrowded and poor signage' (could see a fair bit of space and large, clear signs) and

'Tatty exhibitions' (some footage of the entrance queue).

Gotta love it, journalism at it's best. :whistling:

This was my first convention and therefore I may have had nothing to compare this con too, but I also know what I want to expect and get out of it so here's my 2 pence worth.

I was genuinely excited about attending this event and when i got there I wasnt disappointed with the attendance. My main aim was to get as many signatures as I could, as I have NONE and I purchased the photos I wanted too on top of my Gold ticket. All of my comments below are based not on my expectations, but my EXPERIENCE there as a first time con-goer.

TICKETS: The gold ticket for me, I felt was a little overpriced. The priority queuing for the captians signatures was EXCELLENT as was the "free" access to the captains talks.... The only down side here was that I only got to see 2 captains talks because of other clashes which slightly depreciates the value but hey ho... The free signatures were very nice, just a shame they werent really as random as hoped. I think seat allocation was also a little poor due to the number of gold passes sold, overall though, I was happy.

VENUE: The Excel is blatantly big enough to cater for all needs - great choice, big thumbs up.

SIGNATURES: I thought I would have to be queuing for ages to get signatures. I walked in at 2pm on friday and grabbed the VQ tickets I wanted... I needn't have worried, I got 8 signatures in 30 minutes! I like the VQ system and it seemed to work well - Well Done.

PHOTOS: I was extremely lucky that I got a lot of low numbers and hence got mine quite quickly, but i was absolutely stunned at how quickly the photos were being churned out... Brent spiners queue at one point for the way OUT was building up! On a positive note, the instant photo production was a hands down win for me. what a genius process and whatever that cost was worth it because quite frankly, it was epic. Big points tick for me there. I think the improvements should be MUCH clearer signage about which numbers are being called and when they can expect to go through - the shoots last an hour, so estimated times of when the ticket numbers will come up will stop the huge masses forming outside the photo areas at the top of the hour.

TALKS: This was unfortunately a let down for me. I managed to see Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula (i wasnt missing PS for love or money) but missed the 3 others due to clashes. The clashes were smack bang in the middle of the talks so its not like I would only miss a few minutes, id miss the crux of them. If each captain had done 2 talks a day all at the same time, then there would be six slots to fill and you would know that you wouldnt get clashes because you wouldnt have another captain having a photshoot whilst another was in a chat. You could at least see one chat over the weekend.

STALLS: What happened with the Lanyards? I brought one first thing, im so glad i did.. they ran out? how does that happen? I think the number of stalls was nowhere near enough.. i spent some time looking for an outfit or a T-shirt or something for my 3 year old and NO-One sold for that age group... very disappointing. The selection was a little poor too and the prices were hugely inflated.. a 2009 reboot phaser for £98? I brought mine for £42!! 100% markup - come on, not the way to impress fans. Remember, we know every little bit of detail about every film and episode, if you think we will miss the vendors inflating the prices.. we wont! lol.

STAFF: I have nothing but compliments for the crew. They must have been put under a lot of pressure with some poor support from above, But every one of the crew listened to any issues i had and tried to sort them for me. They were polite, helpful and firm (which i thought they needed to be with some people)... I heard a rumour that some werent fed properly during the day.. I hope thats not truebut if it is, They need an apology and you need to ensure that NEVER happens again. They were epic so well done to all of you who gave your support.

FREE THINGS TO DO : Not enough really, If I wasnt queuing for photos and talks etc, then I could have done everything in the arena in about 3 hours. As it was I didnt really get a chance to be bored or look for things to do, because every time i had some free time, I was autograph hunting whoever was free. Now I have them though, future events will need to have more things to do I feel.

PARTIES: Oh dear.... If you take any feedback away from the fans, please take the feedback about the parties. They were appalling. The Bar was extorinately priced. 2 smaller bottles of carlsberg for +£10.... utterly ridiculous even for london. The music was frankly terrible. I wanted a party!!! i walked into the warblings of Avery Brooks which maked me want to walk right back out again. Where was the decoration? Where were the themed drinks? Where were the SEATS! You put out some garden furniture for the few to sit down on.. bear in mind, we have been queuing all day, standing around waiting for photos, standing in queues for talks... and at the end of the day when you want to sit and have a beer, I have to stand for 3 hours and get robbed by the prices in the process...... To say I was disapppinted is an understatement. The custom house hotel over the road form the Excel, made up a menu of trek themed drinks, there was a fake bridge built and they kept the bar open for us until 2am with loud, party music. The drinks were reasonably priced and after being at both parties for an hour, I left bored and tired, and went to the custom house where frankly, they cleaned up! you could have had that profit if a little more thought had been put into it.

So overall how was it for me. There were problems and I kow you are recognising those so PLEASE take them on board. BUT, I got EVERY signature (and more) that I wanted, I met my hero in PS, I got my photos quickly and they are great quality. I met some fantastic friends and made some there too. So I would say my first con experience was brilliant. Just a few tweaks and you can have THE CONVENTION EVENT to go to in the UK..... Just think about that for a moment... because thats huge.

Thank you for your work in putting the show on and if you have another DSTL next year, I will DEFINITELY be coming.

Edited by TrekGreg

Oh...I have just remember one thing which I was a bit concerned about from a Health and Safety viewpoint. Stage B when the mad dash for the alternative opening ceremony happened my foot caught something on the floor. It was then that I noticed some black boxes (speakers?) all along the floor. Now they would have been fine if people had time to walk calmly down the aisle to find a seat but in the mad dash I thought they were a little dangerous and could have caused an accident.

FAO Trek Greg, If you ever go to a convention where Showmasters or Massive Events are at in the future, when you see your timetable and find clashes, there will usually be an information/organisers booth. They will happily sort through your tickets etc and re-arrange clashes where possible. We managed to sort out a great deal of clashes for people so that they didnt miss their paid talks that weekend, it is a shame yours werent sorted for you

Oh...I have just remember one thing which I was a bit concerned about from a Health and Safety viewpoint. Stage B when the mad dash for the alternative opening ceremony happened my foot caught something on the floor. It was then that I noticed some black boxes (speakers?) all along the floor. Now they would have been fine if people had time to walk calmly down the aisle to find a seat but in the mad dash I thought they were a little dangerous and could have caused an accident.

Thank you for letting us know.

In future, if you spot anything like that, can you grab someone in a crew shirt and we can then get it sorted.

I think alot of the critisism comes from people used to fan led (ie not profit) small conventions, expecting a straight 1-1 scale up - which was ambitious to say the least.

Overall I went away as a satisfied customer, so this is me trying to nitpick:

Parties were a dissapointment (but I've been to alot worse), although I spoke with a couple of the organisors during the saturday night & they weren't happy with it, so am guessing they were let down by providers (also - drink prices were set by excel & are normal for big london events I am ashamed to say).

Free star talks - this was, to me, the biggest problem. If you weren't in line by 10am you couldn't get tickets for anything all day on Saturday.

In future, maybe say something like Gold pass gets 5 stage B talks, Silver 3, General 1 (per day) & as already said - alot more room needed (also stage C & stunt stage need sound proofing from other stages).

Debates & other free talks - given this was an official event, I would have thought some video clips to illustrate the talks would have been used.

Museum, Bridge & filmwerk shop - a clearer discussion needs to be had with the providers; museum was small, shop was expensive & the bridge was damaged by the end of the weekend.

Stunt show - I have got to imagine the organisors were let down here & they didn't really know in advance what they were getting supplied.

Fan clubs - suggest you approach them rather than hope they come to you next time. They will really put on a great display if you ask them to (look at what one guy did just on a whim at the custom house hotel).

and speaking of fans - ask for some to get involved!, a fan council might help smooth relationships.

Finally, a huge well done to the guys & girls on the ground - a fantastic job done in difficult circumstances.

Edited by RFitzger

(also - drink prices were set by excel & are normal for big london events I am ashamed to say).

I will respectfully disagree with the prices set being london prices because the bars I visited around the excel had full sized bottles and cheaper prices.

(also - drink prices were set by excel & are normal for big london events I am ashamed to say).

I will respectfully disagree with the prices set being london prices because the bars I visited around the excel had full sized bottles and cheaper prices.

London prices vary between bars and event venues. You'd probably pay the same (or even more) for a drink at the O2 or other venues.

To add to the above comments, private bars or those in hotels are often cheaper then those at event venues, because sadly those event venues know they pretty much have a captive audience. This really isnt something that the organisers have any control of.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I have been reading some of the posts on here and thank you for the feedback.

I would like to say first that this event was the collaboration of two companies, "Showmasters Ltd" and "Media 10”. This being the first joint event we both had a lot of things to understand and learn from each other. It was a big task for both companies to come together on, and we feel that each day both companies learnt and understood so much more and helped to create strengths that we will need to take with us on future events we run together.

For us at Showmasters this was a giant leap in the events we run, the first licensed event we are a part of and a record breaker as well. Looking after over 18,000 fans from one fan base is also something new for us, this was the biggest Star Trek event in the world and it being our first Official Star Trek event we feel now we can take the shows we run in the future to a even greater level of entertainment for fans of these shows.

We are well aware there were things that did not work as well as they could have but I think many of you will see that we did get on top of most of these issues and fixed them as soon as we could, we do make mistakes but we very rarely make the same mistake twice.

All in all we are very pleased to have had the chance to put on a massive event like this, to be able to show the fans what we are capable of and the future could hold for you.

Now I’m going to cover some specific points which people are asking about or I feel will help people understand why things happened like they did, plus some thoughts on what went very well on the day.

1) On Friday there were long delays for ticket pickups:

This was down to many more people than expected picking up their weekend tickets on the first day. As well as the Friday attendees, people living nearby who planned on only attending on Saturday or Sunday also picked up their tickets on the Friday creating a much bigger demand and bigger queues than were expected by the See Tickets or ourselves. On Friday one of the main people at Media 10 helped people to try to fix this unexpected issue and try to speed the process up, also pulling anyone out of the lines who may be about to miss something they had booked for the Friday. He stayed there all day long until the line was gone and he had helped everyone he could.

On Saturday we increased the amount of people dealing with ticket pick-ups and this issue was fixed on both the Saturday and Sunday.

So to summarise we were caught out by the number of fans queuing up on Friday which we fixed as best we could, and we solved the problem totally for the rest of the weekend.

2) Tickets for talk zone B:

On Friday there were no problems with talk zone "B" but on Saturday we did have issues with large queues wanting to collect tickets for the free talks. We once again did get caught out by the demand first thing in the morning to get the tickets. At our other events fans usually get virtual queue tickets for guests first so the queue for talk tickets is a lot more staggered. However at DSTL it was very different and the queues were full on from he start. Again as soon as we found out there was a issue with queues I started to try to fix this system myself. This was a tough line to get into and fix and it did take me an hour to get on top of and close, and again Media 10 and Showmasters looked at what did not work and came up with a plan to resolve the queue issue. This was unrolled on Saturday and after 1 hour all tickets had been given out and in a fair and safe manner.

3) Talk zones:

With hindsight we agree that they all needed to be bigger. We had thought that with so many things going on at the same time and many people being there for more than one day having things on at the same time did not really matter as they can be done on other days. We agree they needed to be bigger and we will know better for next time. The main stage was also tight, we had the size worked out but with so much of the world’s press also very interested in attending the opening ceremony we needed to also accommodate them as well, so that’s why it was this way. Again we know for next time and this will be fixed.

4) photo sessions:

Well this is something that we really felt worked very well, The new system worked smoothly and the images are very good. The number of people we can now accommodate means that the big guests who attend our events can see many of the fans waiting for photo ops and no one has to be there too long. So this major investment was a great thing to have done this year and our photographs have really come up to the bar.

5) The Museum:

This was something I have wanted to do for many years. It’s really nice to have a lot of free things for people to see and do and this zone was very busy all day. It was so nice to see people enjoying seeing these original props and costumes, and as a prop collector myself it was really fun seeing both Martin’s and William’s collections with some amazing items.

6) The guests:

Well this event had an amazing guest line-up which was fitting for what is now officially the largest Star Trek event in the world! The main cast had a great time and really enjoyed the event and meeting you all, and I have to say they were all on top form. We look forward to seeing them all again at future events.

7) Guinness Book of Records:

This is something which Media 10 really thought would be cool to achieve but for a first event it was going to be a tough challenge. However on Saturday you made it! We broke the world record for the most people in Star Trek costumes in one place, which was a really amazing feat.

8) The venue and the numbers of people attending:

This was always going to a busy, busy show and we hit reached 18,000 people attending over the weekend, but the hall space coped very well with these numbers and the layout of the hall also worked well. I must say the look of the stands and features looked amazing and that has a lot to do with the way Media 10 run their own events, something which we will be looking at for future events.

9) The future:

Well after the amazing success of this weekend we all feel there is a very bright future for Showmasters and Media 10 working together on more events. We are both the leaders in our respective fields and coming together to achieve such a great event where we bring together the Captains from all the series for the first time in UK history all at the same time, and then to break a Guinness World Record and to get more Trek fans to attend the biggest Star Trek convention in the world has been quite amazing! So we all feel there is going to be lots more events from this new collaboration in the near future.

This has been an amazing 12 months for us, we have worked harder than ever before but its been very exciting and we can see an amazing future for new events like this as well as the events we have been running for many years now.

This must be a great event by any fan’s standards, and even though there were some things which need to be improved in the future I think we can all see that this was a great first event. You all know us at Showmasters, we try to get it right first time and we never make the same mistake twice, so we listened to the feedback and will move forward and keep on improving the events we run. This is something that Media 10 also feels the same about and that’s why we are working with them, as we both want to put on well run amazing events the likes of which no-one has seen before.

Thank you to everyone who supported us on this journey and I hope you can see that both Media 10 and us here at Showmasters know that without you the fans we could not have put this event on. It is you whi drive us to make these events the best they can be and really fun. We intend to push the envelope with bigger guests and stronger line-ups for future events and that is only possible with you behind us. So thank you all for an amazing weekend and thank you for the trust you have given us. We will always try our best, improve on the events we run, and remember that you are the boss.

Thank you so much for helping me achieve one of my dreams.

Jason

I'd like my £30 refund please.

I went to the event and had a lot of hassle getting there it's the other side of London plus the DLR was down changed twice on the train was worn out by the time the DLR bus came saw Shatners talk and was just disapointed by the whole event afterwards.

Normally I love Showmaster events but was truely disapointed by this one. the oragization, the cheesey bridge, the museum, and the whole thing.

Stayed 20mins as I was disapointed and worn out, my helper came from quite a way to and we both was looking forward to it, but due to the boasting online and with TV crew also boasting we did not enjoy it a bit.

Come on programme guides for £10, you pay £30 for entry or more for vip. what a rip. programme should have been free.

Plus we needed to que up a second time for a 'helper' ristband then enter to que up again to get in.

Jason please refund my cash.

You will need to contact Showmasters and/or Media 10 directly with any issues you had.

I'd like my £30 refund please.

I went to the event and had a lot of hassle getting there it's the other side of London plus the DLR was down changed twice on the train was worn out by the time the DLR bus came saw Shatners talk and was just disapointed by the whole event afterwards.

Normally I love Showmaster events but was truely disapointed by this one. the oragization, the cheesey bridge, the museum, and the whole thing.

Stayed 20mins as I was disapointed and worn out, my helper came from quite a way to and we both was looking forward to it, but due to the boasting online and with TV crew also boasting we did not enjoy it a bit.

Come on programme guides for £10, you pay £30 for entry or more for vip. what a rip. programme should have been free.

Plus we needed to que up a second time for a 'helper' ristband then enter to que up again to get in.

Jason please refund my cash.

How did you stay only 20mins, but saw a whole talk, the bridge and museum?

So you thought the bridge was cheesy- how the heck are you a fan of Trek as it was a replica of the original series bridge?!

And blaming the DLR problems on SM is ridiculous. Another major organiser of shows also holds events there, as do thousands of other organisers throughout the year as it's huge there. Blame Boris if anyone!!!

Edited by Lizzy
  • Like 2

And people say we do not allow the freedom to speak on this form :-) , if that was true just this of all the posts we would miss ?.