Sign in to follow this  
showmasters

Thoughts and feedback from Jason

I've posted lots of suggestions for improvement but I'd do it all again and consider it money well spent for a great 3 days.

it was my first showmasters event and I'd make a point of going to more

if DSTL was on again next year or the year after then I would definately go and would probably get a premium ticket if I could afford it (although both my kids are on international school trips next year so that may be a challenge)

If there was something more to do, I'd go again in a heartbeat. I dropped out of the Sunday due to the transport problems and not being able to get there early enough for Stage B tickets. I didn't fancy another day of wandering around, despite how much fun my fellow fans were.

Nice feedback, but no mention of

a) the totally rubbish parties?

b ) the heavy handed staff on the sunday at stage B who wouldnt let the talk be filled when there was 100 seats empty and lots waiting outside to come in.(the show had started and was 5 mins in) Little things make fans happy, common sense being one of those.

As for b, do you mean they weren't letting in the people who did have tickets, or those who did not? Because if the latter, I would agree with that. People spent a lot of time queueing to get those tickets, and some of us had clashing photoshoots and wanted to join the talk after it had started if we needed to. If the hall had been filled with unticketed people at that point, that would have been a big letdown.

There is no denying that, but do you understand its not a PAID talk, its a free talk. Its not fair to the guests to see the hall half empty and lots of people crowding around outside.

if you have a clash, and cannot make it there for the start, in my opinion, you should not have taken a ticket/or should lose the seat WHEN it starts. I appreciate that you should have a choice, but you decided to pay for the photo you were never going to miss that. Someone cant take ur photo spot essentially, the line just moves forward, but the talk had an empty seat which could've been used .

On the Sunday for the talks I went to if the seats were still empty 5/10 minutes into the talk the staff were letting the people outside in in small batches.

Nice feedback, but no mention of

a) the totally rubbish parties?

b ) the heavy handed staff on the sunday at stage B who wouldnt let the talk be filled when there was 100 seats empty and lots waiting outside to come in.(the show had started and was 5 mins in) Little things make fans happy, common sense being one of those.

As for b, do you mean they weren't letting in the people who did have tickets, or those who did not? Because if the latter, I would agree with that. People spent a lot of time queueing to get those tickets, and some of us had clashing photoshoots and wanted to join the talk after it had started if we needed to. If the hall had been filled with unticketed people at that point, that would have been a big letdown.

There is no denying that, but do you understand its not a PAID talk, its a free talk. Its not fair to the guests to see the hall half empty and lots of people crowding around outside.

if you have a clash, and cannot make it there for the start, in my opinion, you should not have taken a ticket/or should lose the seat WHEN it starts. I appreciate that you should have a choice, but you decided to pay for the photo you were never going to miss that. Someone cant take ur photo spot essentially, the line just moves forward, but the talk had an empty seat which could've been used .

On the Sunday for the talks I went to if the seats were still empty 5/10 minutes into the talk the staff were letting the people outside in in small batches.

Yes only after I complained! I was pushed in the chest and told to get back twice. The staff said, there is no way we can let you in, they are ticket seats. All we are asking for is next time, this stuff doesnt happen. whats done is done.

All in all, a good convention :) Photo sessions and autograph areas were very well done in my opinion and the staff were great!

Re: stage B specifically, while it may work for other events like this, with this convention offering them on a 'first come first served' basis is not fair - fair is giving everyone an equal chance to obtain them, rather than only those who can get to the venue before dawn. Either by selling them just before the show starts or allocating them randomly somehow, or giving paid options so people can buy them in advance if they want to guarantee a ticket and keeping some by to give away free on the day. Something has to be better than the ridiculous queue at the start of the day. The only good thing about that queue is that when we heard the talk we wanted was sold out, we went to get autographs, and even the Captains had open queues as so many people were absorbed in the Stage B queue!

EDIT and I went on Friday so the issue hadn't been resolved by then.

Edited by Kaiya

Out of curiosity, which talk was this?

i believe it was the walter kronig talk or the DS9 talk. Its all getting muddled now. Need to check my camera.

Edited by Rizla187

Jason can you advise what I am to do?

There was no capacity for me or my husband in the main 5 captains talk due to fire regulations (we were queues well before commencement) Additionally all of my paid photos (£600 worth) were at the same time as my allocation for the captain talks which I was not allowed to change. Therefore I was forced to miss them or sacrifice £600 worth of photographs.

I was told to contact someone at your company for a refund but so far nobody has responded to me. Can you please help?

We had a similar situation, due to photo shoots clashing with the Captain's talks that were part of our Gold Passes, we had to give the talks a miss. One of the unfortunate occurences of wanting to do so much!

Now the dust has settled, I have been skimming the photos uploaded by some people and they look fantastic.

I only had a Friday Pass, but I only had to pick up Marthas/Nana's and Cirrocs scribes to complete my complete Trek photo package and to see my good friend Casey.

It seems I missed quiet a bit of action,only wish the crowds would have been easier

The make up for some of the shoots was really good, very impressed, somehow, wish I could have stayed a bit longer and add to the stretching of the Health and safety aspects Patsy spoke of!

SiFi

Edited by sparky si-fi

Jason can you advise what I am to do?

There was no capacity for me or my husband in the main 5 captains talk due to fire regulations (we were queues well before commencement) Additionally all of my paid photos (£600 worth) were at the same time as my allocation for the captain talks which I was not allowed to change. Therefore I was forced to miss them or sacrifice £600 worth of photographs.

I was told to contact someone at your company for a refund but so far nobody has responded to me. Can you please help?

if you contact us direct we can talk about it more , you need to email us at info@showmastersonline.com

yours

jason

All in all i thought it was brilliant. Perhaps the main thing for me was a speaker system to announce the numbers for queues! The reason the ticket system didn't work too well with the photos was that you had to be in ear shot of the person shouting.

But a wonderful event that i believe the guests enjoyed too! All of Europe turned out.

Well done. Do another! Do another DO ANOTHER!

Please announce WELL in advance again! i need to save!! I NEED TO SAVE ALOT.

If lessons could be learnt and acted upon for a future event, it could be something that would really knock Vegas out of the ballpark for quality and fun. There were issues and they've been documented plenty of times already but I do feel positively that with some consultation with fans, the next event could be mind-blowing.

I agree, DSTL will be THE Star Trek convention and blow all others away

Having attended an expensive all Star Trek event in the US several times, I can say DSTL has to come a long way to match these type of events. These kind of conventions are held in centres that are of much better quality than this warehouse type venue DSTL has held at. Talks are held in a quality auditorium with a decent sound system, seats for every attendee and no annoying tannoys, crowd background noise or gongs disturbing the guest's talks. Their parties are not extensively themed and not cheap if you buy the ticket as an extra, but they offer a buffet, a free drink, entertainment and its usually set in a cool venue.

Which brings me to my main complaint. The waste of £25 for the TNG party. Boy, was I disappointed. They could have at least given out one free drinks voucher to sample the 'Romulan Ale'. I felt sorry for Avery and his pianist battling against the bad acoustics of the hall. I'm surprised there's no feedback from Jason about that party, maybe he can add some of his thoughts?

Maybe Jason didnt feed back on the party because he had nothing to do with the organising of it? Massive Events parties have always been excellent, with decorations, entertainment and more. I assume from the comments made by people that it wasn't Showmasters that organised the parties because it doesn't sound like the kind of party they would provide.

Shame, I was to go to Hallowhedon 4, but with all the unexpected extras (paid talks to keep me busy and to justify the hotel stay) that I had to buy at DSTL, my first experience of a proper Massive Events party is now out of the window.

Agree about the free talks. Very frustrating. Everything else was really good though.

I also agree with people's frustrations with the "free" talks; I was so disappointed I missed some of the talks on Stage B as were my friends I travelled with. I would have preferred to buy tickets ahead of time for these talks, and if people can't make it at the last minute perhaps they can be refunded and sold to people on a reserve list. But then again I don't know how these things normally work so I could be talking nonsense.

I'm pleased to know the feedback has been heeded and there are plans for another, better Star Trek event :-)

• Like 1

I had HUGE clashes all weekend but the Showmasters crew were BRILLIANT at sorting them out. Either the pit bosses directly or the info desk were super super helpful. They re-arranged everything, changed my allocated talks and photoshoots as well as even going back to get Avery Brooks when the time of his photoshoot changed - I had a lovely 2 min talk with him and he's giving me a huge hug in the photo. I know it was crazy if you were trying to do loads, but I am so surprised that other people missed things when the staff there were super helpful and able to fix my clashes for loads of photoshoots and the 5 talks.

TNG party was weak BUT I have an awesome video of the dodgems with you Jason :D will post on Facebook!!!

• Like 1

My gradings...

Overall Venue = A*

Main Hall = B (Could have been bigger)

Opening Ceremony = A*

Guest line up = A*

Layout = B

Museum/prop Display = C (pity the display cabinets didn't look so manky. So much more could have been done with it)

Talk layout = A

Free talk capacity = C

Price of ticket packages = B+

Staff of Excel = C-

Showmasters crew = A (mostly. A few bad apples let the side down)

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = A- (Having A & B in such close proximity was a bad idea. Caused crush points. Photo C was amazing)

Autograph prices = A*

Friday Party = N/A

Saturday Party = U

Lack of closing ceremony = U

I'm pleased to know the feedback has been heeded and there are plans for another, better Star Trek event :-)

Katherine B, where did you hear that "there are plans for another, better Star Trek event"???

• Like 1

Enjoyed the weekend overall.

Big thumbs up to the crew because t's not easy dealing with the public face to face for a whole day (I speak from experience) :thumbup::clap:

Had two photo clashes with talks on Sunday but these were sorted out instantly at the info booth on Friday.

Enjoyed all the talks I attended (both paid and free) and got some good photos with the guests.

Regarding Talk area B tickets, was queueing on Sunday morning and heard the couple behind me question why it had been changed because they preferred the method for getting tickets used on Friday and Saturday. Just goes to show that you can't please everybody. :poki:

I don't agree that the free talks on stage B should have been charged for (the entry ticket was expensive enough as it is and you expect talks included at a convention) - the main improvement needs to be higher capacity and better seating/screen layout so everyone can get a chance to see the talks even if they arrive later.

I arrived at the venue at 8.50am on Sat morning to join the entrance queue and got all the talk tickets I wanted by 10.10am - so you didn't need to arrive hours before the event opened but needed higher capacity to accommodate more people.. I sympathise for those who missed out on tickets.

As had been said many times, the stage needed more seating, the screens needed to be higher and there needed to be better signage. The guide book didn't help as it didn't mention that tickets were needed for stage B.

Hopefully these are all things to be learnt for next time - and am keeping fingers crossed there will be a next time!

I enjoyed my visit on Friday very much. Would have liked to pop back again on either the Saturday or Sunday, but other work commitments prevented that!

Edited by DavidB