Sign in to follow this  
showmasters

Thoughts and feedback from Jason

Hi everyone,

I have been reading some of the posts on here and thank you for the feedback.

I would like to say first that this event was the collaboration of two companies, "Showmasters Ltd" and "Media 10”. This being the first joint event we both had a lot of things to understand and learn from each other. It was a big task for both companies to come together on, and we feel that each day both companies learnt and understood so much more and helped to create strengths that we will need to take with us on future events we run together.

For us at Showmasters this was a giant leap in the events we run, the first licensed event we are a part of and a record breaker as well. Looking after over 18,000 fans from one fan base is also something new for us, this was the biggest Star Trek event in the world and it being our first Official Star Trek event we feel now we can take the shows we run in the future to a even greater level of entertainment for fans of these shows.

We are well aware there were things that did not work as well as they could have but I think many of you will see that we did get on top of most of these issues and fixed them as soon as we could, we do make mistakes but we very rarely make the same mistake twice.

All in all we are very pleased to have had the chance to put on a massive event like this, to be able to show the fans what we are capable of and the future could hold for you.

Now I’m going to cover some specific points which people are asking about or I feel will help people understand why things happened like they did, plus some thoughts on what went very well on the day.

1) On Friday there were long delays for ticket pickups:

This was down to many more people than expected picking up their weekend tickets on the first day. As well as the Friday attendees, people living nearby who planned on only attending on Saturday or Sunday also picked up their tickets on the Friday creating a much bigger demand and bigger queues than were expected by the See Tickets or ourselves. On Friday one of the main people at Media 10 helped people to try to fix this unexpected issue and try to speed the process up, also pulling anyone out of the lines who may be about to miss something they had booked for the Friday. He stayed there all day long until the line was gone and he had helped everyone he could.

On Saturday we increased the amount of people dealing with ticket pick-ups and this issue was fixed on both the Saturday and Sunday.

So to summarise we were caught out by the number of fans queuing up on Friday which we fixed as best we could, and we solved the problem totally for the rest of the weekend.

2) Tickets for talk zone B:

On Friday there were no problems with talk zone "B" but on Saturday we did have issues with large queues wanting to collect tickets for the free talks. We once again did get caught out by the demand first thing in the morning to get the tickets. At our other events fans usually get virtual queue tickets for guests first so the queue for talk tickets is a lot more staggered. However at DSTL it was very different and the queues were full on from he start. Again as soon as we found out there was a issue with queues I started to try to fix this system myself. This was a tough line to get into and fix and it did take me an hour to get on top of and close, and again Media 10 and Showmasters looked at what did not work and came up with a plan to resolve the queue issue. This was unrolled on Saturday and after 1 hour all tickets had been given out and in a fair and safe manner.

3) Talk zones:

With hindsight we agree that they all needed to be bigger. We had thought that with so many things going on at the same time and many people being there for more than one day having things on at the same time did not really matter as they can be done on other days. We agree they needed to be bigger and we will know better for next time. The main stage was also tight, we had the size worked out but with so much of the world’s press also very interested in attending the opening ceremony we needed to also accommodate them as well, so that’s why it was this way. Again we know for next time and this will be fixed.

4) photo sessions:

Well this is something that we really felt worked very well, The new system worked smoothly and the images are very good. The number of people we can now accommodate means that the big guests who attend our events can see many of the fans waiting for photo ops and no one has to be there too long. So this major investment was a great thing to have done this year and our photographs have really come up to the bar.

5) The Museum:

This was something I have wanted to do for many years. It’s really nice to have a lot of free things for people to see and do and this zone was very busy all day. It was so nice to see people enjoying seeing these original props and costumes, and as a prop collector myself it was really fun seeing both Martin’s and William’s collections with some amazing items.

6) The guests:

Well this event had an amazing guest line-up which was fitting for what is now officially the largest Star Trek event in the world! The main cast had a great time and really enjoyed the event and meeting you all, and I have to say they were all on top form. We look forward to seeing them all again at future events.

7) Guinness Book of Records:

This is something which Media 10 really thought would be cool to achieve but for a first event it was going to be a tough challenge. However on Saturday you made it! We broke the world record for the most people in Star Trek costumes in one place, which was a really amazing feat.

8) The venue and the numbers of people attending:

This was always going to a busy, busy show and we hit reached 18,000 people attending over the weekend, but the hall space coped very well with these numbers and the layout of the hall also worked well. I must say the look of the stands and features looked amazing and that has a lot to do with the way Media 10 run their own events, something which we will be looking at for future events.

9) The future:

Well after the amazing success of this weekend we all feel there is a very bright future for Showmasters and Media 10 working together on more events. We are both the leaders in our respective fields and coming together to achieve such a great event where we bring together the Captains from all the series for the first time in UK history all at the same time, and then to break a Guinness World Record and to get more Trek fans to attend the biggest Star Trek convention in the world has been quite amazing! So we all feel there is going to be lots more events from this new collaboration in the near future.

This has been an amazing 12 months for us, we have worked harder than ever before but its been very exciting and we can see an amazing future for new events like this as well as the events we have been running for many years now.

This must be a great event by any fan’s standards, and even though there were some things which need to be improved in the future I think we can all see that this was a great first event. You all know us at Showmasters, we try to get it right first time and we never make the same mistake twice, so we listened to the feedback and will move forward and keep on improving the events we run. This is something that Media 10 also feels the same about and that’s why we are working with them, as we both want to put on well run amazing events the likes of which no-one has seen before.

Thank you to everyone who supported us on this journey and I hope you can see that both Media 10 and us here at Showmasters know that without you the fans we could not have put this event on. It is you whi drive us to make these events the best they can be and really fun. We intend to push the envelope with bigger guests and stronger line-ups for future events and that is only possible with you behind us. So thank you all for an amazing weekend and thank you for the trust you have given us. We will always try our best, improve on the events we run, and remember that you are the boss.

Thank you so much for helping me achieve one of my dreams.

Jason

• Like 10

It was a fantastic event and really really well run. Thanks for a great weekend and I can't wait to see what comes next!

• Like 2

Jason,

Thank you for your post.

From someone whom was running one of the Fanzone Stand (STARFLEET - The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc - Stand (Section) 31 I can say this.

FANTASTIC EVENT! :borg:

The level of interest in the group was outstanding and the BEST convention we have ever had the privaledge of being able to attend of the last 3 years.

From the Media 10 team to the Press Office were always on hand to answer any questions we had.

We would love to be able to be more involved if you run a pure or large Trek guest convention again.

I say this openly and publicly WE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. It was sad to see it end (My feet disagreed!!!).

Thank you again to the Showmasters Team, Jo and Media 10, The Press Team.

Raises glass of Blood Wine - Qaplah.

STARFLEET International

recruitment@20thfleet.org.uk

Edited by Drebble Darkwing
  • Like 1

From my own perspective based on what I wanted to get out of the show it was a 100% success for me, was a bit unsure in the run-up to it but turned out very well in the end.

Hope this won't be the last event of this type we see in the UK, maybe a larger scale SW one next to eclipse that nonsense organised by someone else in 2007!

I also wanted to add my congrats on such a great event. Yes, some issues can be improved upon in the future (and you highlighted those) but, as a whole, for a first time shot, it was a great success, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait until the next one!

Any idea when that will be?!

Congrats Jason on an awesome event. Yes there were problems, but it was obvious (to some of us at least) that measures were being taken to try and rectify some of the issues over the weekend. It's good to see a bit of insight in to what caused the issues too

Thank you so much for what can only be described as an amazing experience. Hope there is another one soon, I for one will be looking forward to more!! Thanks again, much respect to you all :)

Whens the next DSTL?

Any chance we will get one every year like they do in Las Vegas??

As you've said this was the biggest Star Trek event in the world, so we all know there is the demand for it here in the UK!

It's probably far too soon to be confirming any 'next' event so we'll just have to wait and see :)

Hope this won't be the last event of this type we see in the UK, maybe a larger scale SW one next to eclipse that nonsense organised by someone else in 2007!

That nonsense wasn't just one of the best events I've been to, but one I the best weekends of my life. I hope even those with complaints will look back on D:L in a few years knowing what a special event it was they took part in.

It just goes to show what can be done, when you put the time and extensive money behind doing an official event.

As such I'd be surprised to see a Star Wars event like that to rival Celebration, and intend to visit Germany next year.

But I can visit London too if it's worth my effort!

Amazing weekend, and like others had said it was one of the best things I've ever experienced. Okay, it had some teething issues (as expected with an event this size, but less than I was expecting if I'm honest) but you could tell you were thinking on your feet and trying to make things better as you went along (sometimes with mixed results, but we learn from experience).

Well done and please do it again (but let me save up a bit first, my wallet hurts right now!)

Nice feedback, but no mention of

a) the totally rubbish parties?

b ) the heavy handed staff on the sunday at stage B who wouldnt let the talk be filled when there was 100 seats empty and lots waiting outside to come in.(the show had started and was 5 mins in) Little things make fans happy, common sense being one of those.

Edited by Rizla187

Well done...loved it!

my opinion on how it went

Venue = A

Guest line up = A*

Layout = A

Museum/prop Display = A*

Talk layout = B

Free talk capacity = C

Price of ticket packages = B+

Staff of Excel = C-

Showmasters crew = A

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = A

Autograph prices = A*

How I feel the event should be scored overall = A

much better job than most and prices for autographs were as cheap as you will see anywhere

thanks to everyone :thumbup:

Well done...loved it!

Venue = A

Guest line up = A*

Layout = A

Museum/prop Display = A*

Talk layout = B

Free talk capacity = C

Staff of Excel = C-

Showmasters crew = A

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = A

Autograph prices = A*

much better job than most and prices for autographs were as cheap as you will see anywhere

Nice, Can i ask what package you purchased?

Well done...loved it!

Venue = A

Guest line up = A*

Layout = A

Museum/prop Display = A*

Talk layout = B

Free talk capacity = C

Staff of Excel = C-

Showmasters crew = A

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = A

Autograph prices = A*

and to give you a comparable mine is

Venue = B

Guest line up = B+

Layout = C

Museum/prop Display = C

Talk layout = A-

Free talk capacity = F

Price of ticket packages = C

Staff of Excel = C

Showmasters crew = B

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = B

Autograph prices = B

If lessons could be learnt and acted upon for a future event, it could be something that would really knock Vegas out of the ballpark for quality and fun. There were issues and they've been documented plenty of times already but I do feel positively that with some consultation with fans, the next event could be mind-blowing.

If lessons could be learnt and acted upon for a future event, it could be something that would really knock Vegas out of the ballpark for quality and fun. There were issues and they've been documented plenty of times already but I do feel positively that with some consultation with fans, the next event could be mind-blowing.

I agree, DSTL will be THE Star Trek convention and blow all others away

b ) the heavy handed staff on the sunday at stage B who wouldnt let the talk be filled when there was 100 seats empty and lots waiting outside to come in.(the show had started and was 5 mins in) Little things make fans happy, common sense being one of those.

As for b, do you mean they weren't letting in the people who did have tickets, or those who did not? Because if the latter, I would agree with that. People spent a lot of time queueing to get those tickets, and some of us had clashing photoshoots and wanted to join the talk after it had started if we needed to. If the hall had been filled with unticketed people at that point, that would have been a big letdown.

• Like 1

As for b, do you mean they weren't letting in the people who did have tickets, or those who did not? Because if the latter, I would agree with that. People spent a lot of time queueing to get those tickets, and some of us had clashing photoshoots and wanted to join the talk after it had started if we needed to. If the hall had been filled with unticketed people at that point, that would have been a big letdown.

There is no denying that, but do you understand its not a PAID talk, its a free talk. Its not fair to the guests to see the hall half empty and lots of people crowding around outside.

if you have a clash, and cannot make it there for the start, in my opinion, you should not have taken a ticket/or should lose the seat WHEN it starts. I appreciate that you should have a choice, but you decided to pay for the photo you were never going to miss that. Someone cant take ur photo spot essentially, the line just moves forward, but the talk had an empty seat which could've been used .

There is no denying that, but do you understand its not a PAID talk, its a free talk. Its not fair to the guests to see the hall half empty and lots of people crowding around outside.

if you have a clash, and cannot make it there for the start, in my opinion, you should not have taken a ticket/or should lose the seat WHEN it starts. I appreciate that you should have a choice, but you decided to pay for the photo you were never going to miss that. Someone cant take ur photo spot essentially, the line just moves forward, but the talk had an empty seat which could've been used .

I understand that these are 'free' talks (that is, talks included in the main ticket price), but I do feel that those who were there early to queue up for the talk tickets have, so to speak, earned the right to see the talks. With photo clashes, the pit bosses do try to rush you through as fast as possible (we got both John DeLancie and William Shatner done in less than ten minutes when we had to get to the Michael Dorn talk), but yes, you do risk running late. That's why the ticket system works so well for cons like this -- this way, turning up for the con early means you can then do both things, even if you're a bit late for the talk. The talk did not have two empty seats that could have been used, the talk had two reserved seats that were empty for 5-10 minutes and then had us sitting in them, enjoying the talk that we queued to get tickets for.

• Like 1

I understand that these are 'free' talks (that is, talks included in the main ticket price), but I do feel that those who were there early to queue up for the talk tickets have, so to speak, earned the right to see the talks. With photo clashes, the pit bosses do try to rush you through as fast as possible (we got both John DeLancie and William Shatner done in less than ten minutes when we had to get to the Michael Dorn talk), but yes, you do risk running late. That's why the ticket system works so well for cons like this -- this way, turning up for the con early means you can then do both things, even if you're a bit late for the talk. The talk did not have two empty seats that could have been used, the talk had two reserved seats that were empty for 5-10 minutes and then had us sitting in them, enjoying the talk that we queued to get tickets for.

you may have got to ur seats, but the DS9 was half empty, there were many situations where tickets were given out and the seats remained EMPTY the whole duration of the talk.

Its a generic discussion not a personal one. If it worked for you then fair play.

I paid £900+, and did not even get any priority for these free talks. I actually lined up for them all, got my tickets and sat and watched every show, if i left or couldnt make the start, i gave my ticket/seat away.