Sign in to follow this  
Rizla187

An In-depth review by a Platinum - Part 2

Part 2 :(Day 2 of DSTL)

Having been advised at the opening ceremony that William Shatner would be doing a photo shot at the bridge for £75, I found myself a little intrigued. This seemed like a good thing to do as opposed to a standard photo opportunity. I spent the rest of the evening and night thinking about whether I should do this or not. The outcome of this would have a baring on my plan for the morning.

I quickly decided that this was something worth doing, we were advised that the ticket could be purchased at the Talk, photo and Credit Card booth at 9am. I expected there to be a mad rush, so i decided that I would come to the excel center at 8.45am the next morning

Wait Line outside: There was a separate line for platinum members, and therefore I was able to join the front of the line (number 7 or 8). This allowed me to be very quickly be able to rush to the Talk, photo and Credit Card booth. (5/5)

Talk, photo and Credit Card booth: Today it seemed the event had a few more staff trying to direct people where to go and what to do. I reached the line, requesting to purchase the shatner shoot. I was advised this would take place at 7pm once I had made the purchase. Very quick, very smooth. More importantly no wait at all. (5/5)

B Stage Ticket "Area": I was advised that the B talk tickets would be given out at 9am, so once i made my purchase of the shatner shoot, I joined the line for the B stage Tickets. I think i was around 40th from the front of the line. As they were going to give around 500 tickets out, There was no special line for platinum to obtain tickets. This was rather disappointing, but being so close to the front, it didnt really make much of a difference. I had two Captains talk planned that day, William Shatner and Kate Mulgrew. As I had got majority of my autographs done the day before and with priority for the captains I decided to spend most of the day watching the B stage talk. I therefore decided to get one ticket for all the shows I wanted to see. Easy for me as I was at the front, but happen to look behind and the line was the longest line at the convention. There was only one or two people giving out the tickets, so as u can imagine, if this take 30s to 1 min per person, you have a long wait if you are 200 or 300 people back. (4/5)

Manu Intiraymi B Stage Talk: Due to the mess outside regarding tickets, the Manu Intiraymi talk only had around 30 people myself included. It was pretty interesting to see what he had got up to after star trek, but due to the lack of people he was either annoyed or really surprised and thus seemed to go thru the motions. (2/5) Front Row seat.

Note: We were asked to leave by the staff at the end of the show EVEN if we had tickets. I explained to the lady that this was absolutely stupid., but I did leave as told. Even whilst telling the lady I had paid £900 for platinum! I should be allowed to sit somewhere for 2 mins before the next show starts.

Arlene Martell/ Robin Curtis/ Denise Crosby /Martha Hackett: Only three of the ladies were actually there, but the show was average at best. The ladies were intent on telling us that they were no longer able to work as they were old and roles were hard to come by. Could've been avoided and replaced with the stunt show as I did not get time to go to it. (2.5/5) Front Row Seat.

John de Lancie: The talk was ok, it lacked charisma which is what i was expecting from John de Lancie. He did vent at some guys taking too many pictures of him. It was better than the previous talk however. The seating area was mainly full even if they were still distributing the tickets outside! (3/5) Front Row seat

Brent Spiner: Excellent talk, Brent was funny and I was able to finally see what I considered a A-list Star trek actor. Its a shame Brent didn't have more time or his own stage as the area was Packed with people standing around as well. (5/5) Front Row seat

William Shatner Paid Talk Main Stage:The Brent Spiner talk literally finished just as the Shatner talk was about to start, so I had to bolt to the main stage area.I was able to get in, and obtain a seat in the middle of the second row. Not bad for arriving 30s before it was due to start. A benefit of being platinum and being at the event, this felt like a real positive aspect for having purchased platinum. The event was very good if not a little long due to shatner not being in his prime anymore. It was still an experience talk and I enjoyed myself throughout. (4/5)

I had a little time after the William shatner talk, and used this time to get some lunch. The Baked potato place outside and No real line to wait. The food was below average, and they did not even have COLD pepsi. It was warm! (1.5/5) Cost £10.

Auberjonois/ Visitor/ Masterson/ Robinson/ Lofton: This talk was pretty good, and I felt that the ladies were really trying their best to answer all the question they could. Auberjonois was not really that interesting in person, a much better actor for sure. Lofton was wearing his shades for most of the talk. I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless as I am a huge DS9 fan. (5/5). 6th row in the middle.

Michael Dorn: After seeing how good the Brent Spiner talk was, I had high hopes for the Dorn talk. Disappointed would be an understatement. I found Michael Dorn quite boring. Nonetheless, it is Worf and therefore i was still listening to every word. (3/5) 6th row in the middle

O'Reilly/ Hertzler/ Walsh: The talks at this point were starting to overrun, and I probably only had 10 minutes in this talk as i had to leave for the kate mulgrew talk. I did leave it till the last possible moment (16:29), seeing how well I was seating at Shatner I decided to take a risk and arrive on time. I did however not manage to sneak out very well, and was destroyed my Gowron and Martok for leaving to see Janeway. (3/5) 6th row in the middle

Kate Mulgrew Paid Talk: Once again my luck was in. I was able to be seated on the front row. I didn't have much hopes for this talk, but it exceeded my expectations by far. Kate was excellent, and easily the best talk of the day. Value for money and I was planning to leave ten mins before she ended but I just could not take my eyes and ears away. Kudos to Kate for inviting some girls/ladies on the stage at the end. (5/5).

Captains Autograph ( Willaim Shatner): Being a platinum I was able to get priority queuing, but i was advised that this meant I would just join the back of the line. Shatners line was moving very quick and therefore I decided to get my autograph. Wham bam thank you maam. NO personalization. No real interaction. At this point I felt the photo shoot might head the same way. (2/5)

Captains Autograph ( Kate Mulgrew): I was advised that Captain Janeway would be coming back for the last ten minutes to do some autographs and just jumped to the front of the line. There was a warm smile and a thank you at the end of it. The Scott Bakula and Patrick Stewart lines were too long for me to have the energy. I was able to leave the area at around 7.10. (3/5).

William Shatner photo shoot Bridge: I was horrified to see over 600 people in a line. I notified the lady that I had not much time to get this done. As a platinum we were given priority, and therefore I was pushed to the front of the line! Great stuff. The pass saved me another hour I guess. The shoot itself was a joke. for £75 i expected more than the picture to be taken without a countdown. Not happy with the way the photo came out at all. Waste of £75 for me. (2/5)

I went home happy that I saved some time, but disappointed with the meeting with the two captains. I guess the other stars made such an effort, I had unrealistic expectations from that point. I did feel that the Platinum pass came in hand during the busiest day at the convention. I was able to go in first. Get great seats at the paid talks and get priority at the bridge shoot.

Edited by Rizla187

If you are not happy with a photo, you can get an instant re-shoot. Just tell the staff.

If you are not happy with a photo, you can get an instant re-shoot. Just tell the staff.

Did you get a photo? Im not sure if you saw how it was, but it was a conveyor belt!

As far as getting a re-shoot of a photo, I had one with Brent Spiner, didn't come out well (Brent had a massive grimace on his face, not his fault just bad timing with the photographer) I asked for a re-shoot as was told to go buy another ticket by a member of staff :(

On Sunday my Patrick Stewart photo came out black on the printer as something was going wrong with it. So me, the guy in front of me and a couple of folks behind us, had to go back in. And given that the photo session was wrapping up at the time, so Patrick could got to a a talk I guess (Only 10 folk had got in after me to begin with..) I was worried. Then when the helpers were telling Patrick what was going on, he got a little bit distracted and so his eyes were looking to the side. But to her credit the photo girl thought this might be the case, and shouted to me on my way out that I should have the photo checked again. I did so, and showed it to the guy there who promptly tore it, and sent me around again. (Now I was the last person and I was worried that Patrick would be quite annoyed to see me again.. :crying: ) Thankfully though because it was beginning to be a running joke meeting me again, and again, Patrick saw the funny side of it, and we got a great photo as a result. (Third times the charm!)

So I guess some staff were better than others, as all the ones I interacted with were great! :clap:

I thought Plats did not need to get B stage tickets??

In all my captains autos and photos I was moved to the front of the line.

Edited by GodAtum

I'm glad you got to hear about the William Shatner bridge photoshoot. That really p*ssed me off! I didn't go to the Captains talk where people were informed, and had no idea there even was a William Shatner bridge photoshoot. No sign at the ticket buying area, no sign at the bridge area, no sign at the entrance, nothing online leading up to the event. If you didn't go to the Captains talk, you didn't know about it. That's amateurish.