Thank you Dawn! You know who you are!

I wanted to redress the number of negative responses to the event at the weekend with a positive one.

I had been there only ten minutes when things started going wrong. It was Saturday morning, and I arrived at 10.45 thinking it was going to be a great day.

I suddenly realised I had been very naive. I was totally unprepared for the huge number of people in large crowds. I saw that Carolyn Seymour's photo session had already been and gone and I'd missed it.

For the first time in many years I had an anxiety attack. I had to leave! Where's the exit?!!! I pulled my wife towards the outside of the hall but couldn't get out. I was panicking and couldn't calm down. I haven't had this kind of problem in a long time. I therefore found a gap near the autograph payment stalls and collapsed against the wall. A blue uniformed lady called Dawn was immediately on hand. She took good care of not only myself, but also my wife. She gave me a chair, and gave us water.

Dawn told us she would sort all my worries out. She rearranged my ticket to see Carolyn for 9.30 on the Sunday morning. She wrote on my other six tickets the times and locations of all the photo sessions, and she kindly wrote that because of my medical condition, I should not have to stand in queues, or in crowds. If she hadn't done all this for me, we would have left just half an hour or so, after arrival on Saturday morning.

Dawn made sure I was fully recovered before wishing us well. From then on, although I wasn't able to do much but go for my photos, I was calm again, and I could cope with things.

I understand her "boss" was called Stuart. If you are reading this Stuart, you have a real gem in your staff.

Thank you.

Andy

• Like 2

While I'm sorry you had your attack, I'm so glad that you managed to get help in the way you did. Would have been a shame if your whole event had been ruined. Well done Dawn for helping to rescue your day :smile:

• Like 1

Andy

Firstly let me say I'm so glad that your day turned out ok in the end. I did wonder if you would manage to carry on after you left me.

Thank you so much for this post. I've just woken up having arrived home at 4.20am this morning, and was rather stealing myself to come on and read the forums and this was amazingly the first post I came across. I would hope that any of our crew would have done the same for you but am glad I was in the right place at the right time to help you and your wife out.

Do come back to another of our events, they aren't all quite so manic and thank you once again, you've made my day, so favour well and truly returned in full!

Dawn xx

• Like 1

Hi Dawn! I'm so glad you read this. Both Julia and I were bowled over by your concern and help. We stayed all day on Saturday AND Sunday, although admittedly most of the days were spent in the food halls! I should have known there would be crowds at an event this big, but didn't realise.

We have tentative plans to go to Comicon next July at Earl's Court. Will you be there?

4.20am to get home? Where do you live, Mars? (Just kiddin')!

I will most certainly apply to be crew at LFCC next year; but we are all volunteers, sometimes we don't always get picked to work the events, but if asked I will be there proudly wearing my crew shirt and hopefully a smile :)

4.20am is close to my usual home time for me when I work events. I need to get back to my children so can't stay over on the Sunday nights. Our finish time is anywhere between 7.30pm - 8 ish. Then it was walk back to hotel, to try and grab a bite to eat before leaving. That unfortuately yesterday took two hours (one hour to get a table!) and then quick goodbyes and a long drive home to a small village in Devon on the edge of Dartmoor, dropping home 4 other crew on the way.

• Like 1