Sign in to follow this  
ruth76

Thoughts on the weekend from a gold ticket holder

I largely really enjoyed the weekend. The guests I met were all lovely, and the talks I managed to get too (Kate, Patrick and the 5 captains) were excellent.

I don't particularly think the gold pass was worth the money in retrospect. Other than getting you into the event and the talks earlier than silver and standard ticket holders, what did we actually get for our £300? The goody bag was disappointing, the largely non-random autos we got weren't as good as the ones on the silver tickets, and the Klingon party was a waste of time. Yes, we got into the main stage talks, but since I only managed to attend 3 due to clashes, it would have been cheaper just to go silver!

The TNG party on the Saturday night had absolutely nothing to do with TNG. The sound quality was so bad, all I could hear was distortion and the drinks were outrageously priced - worst £25 I've ever spent.

The photoshoot areas were a bit of a rugby scrum - perhaps there should have been crew patrolling the areas outside to keep better order? And when there were two shoots for a captain in a day, it would have been handy to have some clarification given to ticket holders as to which numbers would be likely to be in which shoot - on several occasions I had to tell someone that since they had a ticket over 700 they would be unlikely to be in the first photoshoot session. Having better clarification on this, might have eased the crowding a bit! Also, it would have been useful to have signs up at the photoshoot areas as to which numbers had been called, as well as crew with louder voices on occasion!

On the bright side, when I did ask any crew members for assistance, they were extremely helpful and friendly!

Edited by ruth76

I personally still think the Gold pass was the best value. You say the Klingon party was a waste of time? I agree, it wasn't great, but it was worth 25 quid and you got some free entertainment, so it was hardly a waste of time. The opening ceremony was worth 95 quid (sorry for keep typing it, but this stupid cheap-ass keyboard doesn't have a pound sign lol), so that's nearly a third of the ticket cost right away. All 5 captains talks included, so that's a big chunk of the rest, and the priority seating was more than worth the premium price in my opinion. Plus you had the option of priority signature queues for the 5 captains, again you can't really put a price on that. Oh and a bridge photo shoot so that's another 15.

Clashes with the talks so you missed 2 of them? That was your choice - for me the captain's talks were the main "events" so to speak, so we organised everything around that. If you chose to do something else, then that's hardly de-valuing the ticket price,...

Edited by RobLeather

Just a few points in response RobLeather! I'm glad you thought it was value for money, but I'm equally entitled to think it wasn't!

The clashes weren't actually my choice strangely enough - they occurred because I had to book things before the schedule came out!

Also, if you genuinely think the Klingon party was worth £25, then I'm happy for you, but we clearly have very different concepts of value for money!

At least you're not defending the goodie bags! Lol

• Like 1

I didn't mean it was worth the 25 quid, I meant it physically cost 25 quid of the price you paid for the gold pass, sorry for the confusion. I agree it wouldn't have been worth the cost if we'd had to pay it, but we got it included and therefore formed part of the cost of the ticket. I hate the posts putting actual values and arguing over the "worth" but if you add up everything you can put a cost on included in the ticket, never mind the priority queueing/seating, it's well worth the physical value, personal opinion aside

I'm glad I bought a gold pass because it cut down on the queuing a bit.

Also it meant I was able to get tickets for the free talks which, given the size of the queue to get in at 9am, I would never have got on a standard ticket.

The gold ticket was very expensive but I knew that going in. It meant that I got to see the opening ceremony and all the Captain's talks which was the main thing.

By contrast, I don't think that there was much to see for those who went for standard tickets. All of the free talk tickets would have gone by the time they got in, so they would have just been left wandering round a rather noisy hangar looking at a bunch of merchandise stands.

Talks - £190

Autos - £90

Party - £25

Bridge shoot - £15

Stunt show - £10

That is £330 right there and that's without even including entry, priority seating in main talks and priority for Captains auto's.

Whether you agree with the pricing or not, it's hard to disagree there is value for money in going gold.

• Like 1

What would make it worth it for me would be, if they run a similar event again, they just gave us autograph vouchers and I could choose who I wanted!

I have to say leading up to the event I felt I had made a mistake with the gold pass. I was disappointed in the selection of guests included in the autograph allocation, especially compared to the ones allocated in the silver and wasn't totally happy that the priority queuing was at times specified in advance rather than having set times each day or something similar, similarly with the captains talks I hadn't realised the days we could attend these would be allocated by SM rather than us being able to choose (I concede maybe that was naive on my part given the numbers involved but it wasn't made clear when the tickets were being sold). LIke a lot of people I was also not blown away by the contents of the goodie bag even though I wasn't expecting much to start with.

However, on getting to the show and finding that the gold pass holders were able to get into the show ahead of the other ticket holders, VIP and Platinum aside, and the access this gave in getting into the talks, I started to find I was pleased with the Gold Pass. I found in the end that I didn't really use the priority queuing for the captains in the end, I got all five of them Friday afternoon just by using Virtual Tickets, so arguably I didn't really get the benefit there but I suppose I always had the priorty queueing to fall back on if I had needed to.

I think the biggest area where I finally decided I was happier to have gone for the gold was the opening ceremony. Had I bought a lower priced ticket there is probably no way I would have paid the £95 for the opening ceremony without knowing exactly what I was getting for my money. However, having attended the opening ceremony as it was included in the gold pass I was very glad I did and it ended up being one of the main highlights of the weekend for me.

Based on that I would say on balance I was just about happy with my decision to go for the gold pass for this show. If there was another event like this in the future I'm not sure I would go down the gold route again, as having seen the five of them together once I'm not sure I could justify the costs of seeing the same thing again (unless next time Chris Pine comes along!)

All in all for me it was a good weekend as I did everything I wanted to do without too much hassle, I think the disappointments a lot of people experienced were in areas that I had less interest in so didn't really affect me adversely.

Just a thought to ponder though, a lot of people have expressed the view that this show was nothing more than a money making exercise by the organisers. I wonder how true that is. Aside from the captains and a few of the higher profile guests, I felt there were an awful lot of other guests sat round with either very small or no queue at all, even on Saturday. The ones that tended to have the longer queues seemed to be the ones who were included as part of various ticket packages. Presumably all these people had to be paid to attend and incurred costs for travel, accomodation etc. Maybe the organisers will have made a lot of money on entry fees but I wonder how much of that was swallowed up by guest related costs.

I'm certainly not criticising the decision to bring them to the show as ultimately these events are often judged on the quality of the guest list but I do wonder if, with the benefit of hindsight, it may have been better to spend less of the show budget on the guest list and maybe more on displays, exhibits etc for people to look at.

I think my biggest criticism of the gold pass would be the priority seating for free talks. It's useless unless you queue to get a talk ticket, and you don't get priority queueing for that, so I ended up missing all the talks I had priority seats for.

There was never priority seating for all talks, only for talks on the main stage

I think my biggest criticism of the gold pass would be the priority seating for free talks. It's useless unless you queue to get a talk ticket, and you don't get priority queueing for that, so I ended up missing all the talks I had priority seats for.

There was never priority seating for all talks, only for talks on the main stage

Quite. This was made very clear.

To be honest it was a lot of money but it enabled me to do everything I needed to without worry. It was nice queuing up and going in a bit earlier than others, meant I got any VQ tickets I thought I might need and had #1 for many. The time scheduling for the captains suited me although I'm not sure it was being enforced all that well in some cases. I'm sure I saw people just flash the gold pass and being let in rather that being checked if it was their time.

But I stuck to the posted schedule and had no problem. I did pick up a low VQ for Patrick on Sunday as the timed slot wasn't until 2pm for me and I thought that was leaving it a bit late and I wanted to get all autos done earlier.

I got seats I was happy with in the main hall but admittedly didn't try for any of the Stage B talks as the only ones I was interested in clashed with other stuff. Did catch some of the stuff on Stage C and that was interesting.

I only used 2 of my inclusive autos as I really wasn't that interested in the others and resented having to pay for pictures of those to get them but I hear they were very good to meet so maybe I should have done but I was on an extremely strict budget and even the £3 per 10x8 was too much. Maybe with inclusive autos, suitable pictures should have been included as well.

Was it good value? Not sure. I throughly enjoyed the opening ceremony and individual capatins talks and as I hadn't been to any by them before, having those included was great. I liked the seating and the guaranteed queuing for the captains though it probably wouldn't have been a big issue anyway getting a reasonable VQ number going by when I turned up. I probably would have had some benefit getting free talk tickets if I'd wanted them.

I think we could have had the programme included too and I wasn't able to get to the party. It got me everything I wanted and it was my choice to buy it to guarantee certain things. I'm not going to complain on that score but I think a few other things could maybe have been included. Overall had a great weekend and don't regret going for that option.

"Priority Seating in the talks" was what was written on the gold pass description on the website. I wouldn't say that's making it "very clear."

It didn't say that, it said "Priority Seating in the talks/presentations in main auditorium"

• Like 1

Well I, and many others rarely use the forums, if at all.

And what I have copied and pasted from the website is this -

Gold Pass

3 Day Event Access

1 Ticket to Opening Ceremony/Captain's Talk ^

5 Individual Captain talk tickets ~

Priority Seating in the talks

6 In-Person Autographs**

Priority Scheduled Queuing***

1 Exclusive rare signed card

1 Bridge Photo shoot

1 Ticket to Stunt Show

Limited Edition Print

Exclusive Goodie Bag

Exclusive Gold Collectors Card

1 Ticket to the Party............................................£299.00

Well I, and many others rarely use the forums, if at all.

And what I have copied and pasted from the website is this -

Gold Pass

3 Day Event Access

Priority Seating in the talks

6 In-Person Autographs**

1 Bridge Photo shoot

1 Ticket to Stunt Show

Limited Edition Print

Exclusive Goodie Bag

1 Ticket to the Party............................................£299.00

Weird because what it has on the website is this...

Gold

Pass

3 Day Event Access

Priority Seating in the talks/presentations in main auditorium

6 In-Person Autographs**

1 Bridge Photo shoot

1 Ticket to Stunt Show

Limited Edition Print

Exclusive Goodie Bag

1 Ticket to the Party

£299.00*

http://www.startrekl...com/ticket-info

I think the fact that I have something copied and pasted fairly recently that says this goes to show that it was never made 100% clear to the attendees.

Where did you copy and paste from?

3 Day Event Access

Priority Seating in the talks/presentations in main auditorium

6 In-Person Autographs**

1 Bridge Photo shoot

1 Ticket to Stunt Show

Limited Edition Print

Exclusive Goodie Bag

1 Ticket to the Party

Posting an old version of the info before it was clarified doesn't count as not making it 100% clear. The website should be the primary source of info for anyone if they don't want to use the forums, and it was corrected to clarify some time ago

Btw, what I have posted above has been on the website for months.

In fact, just drop it. I have this information that I took from the website, and am now being talked to like I'm an idiot purely because I don't have the same info or time spent on the forum as you. So just drop the matter.

I'm sorry but I have been on that ticket page at least twice each week in the last few months, and it has NOT said what you have copied and pasted on any occasion I have been there.

hi i was happy with my gold pass got all the autographs that i wanted including the 6 on my pass (i was egstatic that i had robert o riely as a freebie on my pass) all my autographs were done on friday with a few left for saturday.

i went to four of the five captains talks and got my bridge photo (which is ace) i didn't go to any parties or the stunt show. and i had a great time walking around and photographing all the guests i did say what i thought of the stalls and merchandise in other threads in the forums so i won't bore you with that here. i did have moments of i did this all yesterday. but i did enjoy the convention. even if i have put some negative points here on the forums

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Ruth36. The gold package i expected according to what was written on the webpage was not what I got. The "1 Exclusive rare signed card" which I found in the goody bag was from an actor I don't know - so it was "rare" to me, but not in the sense of "seldom".

Plus, my friend and I booked our gold tickets together - and what do we get? 6 identical autographs! Sorry, but what are we going to do with those 6 we do not need? That is wasted money in my opinion. Especially seeing there were guests who hardly had visitors. Example: The producers. I would have liked to get an autograph of them as for me who lives neither in the UK nor in the United States, it is rare (= seldom) to see them or even have their autograph because they have never attended a convention in my country (as far as I know). But since my autographs were chosen by someone else...

Plus the "1 Exclusive rare signed card" and the "Exclusive Gold Collectors Card" were part of the gold goody packs we got - and reading the information on the website as given above by Murph, I would have expected to get the good pack PLUS these two items mentioned. Apart from the fact that we were disappointed about the goody bag. It hardly contained more than the "1 Exclusive rare signed card", the "Limited Edition Print" and the "Exclusive Gold Collectors Card". Folks, these three items were mentioned as extra on the webpage? Why were they part of the goody bag? Sorry, but I would have expected a timetable or alike but not what I found in there. Well, I don't want to exaggerate but there is an aftertaste.

Maybe I got many items included other ticket holders did not get - but the pricing Murphs posts here does not work out for a very simple reason: Not all visitors like all these items and therefore do not attend them all. So the overall price be less in the end.

Example: If someone does not like the stunt show and/or the the Klingon party anr/or any other of the items Murphs mentions, you have to reduce the actual price by that amount. Doing that, the overall price of what you like drops under £300 fast. So when deciding if to by a gold ticket or not, one has to be convinced the items she or he likes are worth that price even if the single items together do not reach £300.In my case, the priority queuing was one of the things for which i decided to by a gold ticket, also the priority seating on the main stage. In fact, we had good seats in all events on the main stage.

However, and that is the other side of the coin, particpating in the evnts ob the main stage sometimes prevented us from seeing events on stage B. Even if they were not the main persons, but it would have been worth seeing people like Brent Spiner or Manu Intiraymi, at least for me. In my opinion, the yare not just "props" or add-ons to the captain but people who have a lot to tell. The same happens with the DS9 crew and others. So in part, we (my friend and I) could not see their talks because it got late on stage A (main stage) and when finally arriving it stage B, it was full due to the amount who wanted to see them as well. Even as gold pass holders, we were not able to enter. But maybe we would have liked to see them? On Sunday, we decided to skip one of the free talks instead as there were actors we would not have seen otherwise.

Another point was that it took a very long long time to leave the main stage after the events there. If you wanted to get to stage B or C, one simply lost time, valuable time especially if you wanted to see a free talk on stage B. Arriving on stage B, there were the masses, and even as gold ticket holder, it was almost impossible to enter. Lucky the person who achieved it.

At the very beginning on the convention, when picking up my tickets which was not sent to me as I live outside the UK, I was surpised that the tickets and the goody bags were not give out in one step. That ould have been a) reasonable and B) less time consuming - well, at least in my opinion. Then the fact that there were no more goody bags by the end of Friday. we were lucky enough to get one each. Nonetheless, i met gold ticket holders who were not as lucky as we were because there were no more goody bags. Not one left. Why were there not enough for everbody? Got the organisers overwhelmed by the number of attendees to this event?

Another item that was sold out immediately on Friday was the con lanyard. I would have liked to buy one and wonder again why there weren't enough over the weekend?

On the bright side, we had a good time seeing many actors, not only the captains who, indeed, were **the** highlight of the event but also other actors. For seeing these guys, it was worth traveling all the way to London and attend the convention. However, talking to other attendees, we understand we are not the only ones who are disappointed about the organisation - there is pretty much to improve if there is a next time. Paying a lot og money means expecting a lot. If the attendee's expectations are not met, it is unlikely they return. So I would not bet my chips on the same amount of visitors in a follow-up event if there is any.

If the organiser do read this post, please contact me, I am willing to help in a possible follow-up event in order to avoid more disapppointing experiences, especially for vistors coming from outside the UK.

Edited by chamaya