Sign in to follow this  
crippsy_99

Did you like the show overall? Yes or no

What is your overall view of the show?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Did you enjoy the event overall?

So i've seen a lot of people complaining about the show, and also a lot of people also liking it.

So lets have a little poll..did you enjoy the show overall, yes or no?

I don't care why you didnt like it, or why you did, just give an answer, yes or no..

Yes I have some issues with things, but I also knew what to expect, and overall in the grand scheme of things, I DID still enjoy the event. So for me, ive said yes..

Now..your turn!

• Like 1

yes i enjoyed the show the only thing wrong that i found was the queing system to get into the show was badly run on the friday but this was sorted out on saturday also the queing for the main stage talks this was terrible the ques were going past the food vendour stalls the orgainizers were leaving gaps so people could get food but there was noone thier to tell people that their was a que for the talk or were the que was it was down to people in the talk que to tell people who wanted food this. but all in all i had a great time.

Mixed but more yes than no

I went with my dad which made it fun

The autographs and phtoso I got were fab and I got really low VQ numbers (under 50) for Brent, Michael and Denise but I was annoyed for havin to pay more for photos to be signed. my photoshoots were fab though :D patrick called me Sir

Howler I felt there was a lack of things to do as I had 1 free talk with Manu as I didn't get a ticket but no one checked. But was sad to see that all the tickets for talks had gone as we didn't know where to get them until too late

We were there for about 5 hours as there just wasn't enough to do.

I've seen (and heard at the event) a lot of people complaining about the mainstage queues - yes it seemed a little unorganised at times, but after thinking back on my experiences I get the impression this was at least partly to do with the Excel staff. I got the distinct impression that the pink-waistcoat staff were Excel not SM/Media 10, and they were supposed to be helping organise the queues while the show staff were supposed to be on hand at the entrances to the event itself, however a lot of the time they were just wandering about and not actually helping with the queues at all (I only say this as 2 of the 5 captain's talks I attended DID have good Excel staff walking up and down the lines keeping everyone informed and making sure people were in the right lines).

Plus all the entrances had plenty of show staff on hand to help out and direct people if people would make the effort to ask rather than stand their complaining which I saw a lot of

I've had to vote no, although the poll could do with a middle option really!

Guest list was fantastic, and if I'd had the money I'd have enjoyed it a lot more, but sadly I was on a budget and there wasn't a lot else in my opinion to justify the £29 entry fee. I'm glad that others got more enjoyment out of their day than me and that these events continue to grow.

DSTL would have been greatly improved by having more colour (hanging banners would have been nice), more stalls (even just for browsing), a bigger museum section, larger stages for the free talks so more people could participate. Stuff like that.

• Like 1

I have put " no " because the negative points for me outweigh the positive. I will write a full review at another stage.

I voted yes.

I treated it as I would for LFCC or EMS so I have the photo shoots paid for in advance and got them done in one day so it didn't leave much spare time.

I was disappointed with the merchandise that was available and the fact that my free in person autograph was not there on the Friday.

Well I enjoyed meeting the stars, but if all 5 captains hadn't been there I wouldn't have paid the money for the ticket.

But I'd have to say meeting the stars aside I'd say I didn't enjoy the whole event no.

I voted yes. I planned ahead and arrived early. There were signs showing timetables and maps and I knew exactly where to go and what to do. The staff were very polite and very helpful. Thumbs up. 10/10.

• Like 2

Hi! Well it is 24 hours since I arrived home from my 1st convention, and I'd like to share my experience !

Overall, I had a really good time. Lots of things to do/see, and buy! (thank God for cash points) I managed to spend a small fortune in one day, well over my budget. The staff/volunteers were both friendly and courteous. I was also surprised to see so many people in civies. But, there were a few downsides

1 Hardly any seating available. I saw people sitting on the floor, against the back wall of the hall!

It is a very tiring day on your feet if you are not used to it I am disabled, and can,t stand for a long time

perhaps the organizers in the future, if, and when the next gathering will be, be it the Exel. or another venue, will address this major problem. I noticed that one of the walls was an empty space

2 Photos/Autographs

This is were, in my opinion was the least well organize part of the whole day! I had prepaid for my photos with 3

I've voted "yes" because I did enjoy it despite having views on what could be improved next time and views on how the event seemed more geared towards autograph hunters than Star Trek fans. My views on this are/will be scattered on other threads or forums.

Theres never seating at any of these venues so its nots unusual to find most people sat against the walls - me and the missus certainly were between photos and autographs. Thankfully there was a lot of wall space to be had or a lot of seats outside the hall if you wanted food.

At one point i sat back against the barrier where Rene Auberjonois was on the other side and loads of people kept leaning over me to peer through the door trying to get a photo of his ear which got a bit annoying until one member of staff moved everyone on anyway for fear the barrier might collapse on the guests!

I still think space wise this was quite a spacious convention compared to some i've been to with only the walkway outside the captains area being truly a nightmare to navigate.

Edited by miltonbones

Hi! Well it is 24 hours since I arrived home from my 1st convention, and I'd like to share my experience !

Overall, I had a really good time. Lots of things to do/see, and buy! (thank God for cash points) I managed to spend a small fortune in one day, well over my budget. The staff/volunteers were both friendly and courteous. I was also surprised to see so many people in civies. But, there were a few downsides

1 Hardly any seating available. I saw people sitting on the floor, against the back wall of the hall!

It is a very tiring day on your feet if you are not used to it I am disabled, and can,t stand for a long time

perhaps the organizers in the future, if, and when the next gathering will be, be it the Exel. or another venue, will address this major problem. I noticed that one of the walls was an empty space

2 Photos/Autographs

This is were, in my opinion was the least well organize part of the whole day! I had prepaid for my photos with 3 of my favorite characters.I thought that prepay meant that you were quite near the front No chance!I queued for 2.5 hours for Sir Patrick.1.3 hours for Nana, and 1,3 hours for Kate!(but it was worth it)

3 All said and done, I think that I shall make a 2 day, rather than only 1 day, and stagger the photos/autographs I hope in the next convention,both Jerry, and Levar will cross the pond!

• Like 1

I had prepaid for my photos with 3 of my favorite characters.I thought that prepay meant that you were quite near the front No chance!I queued for 2.5 hours for Sir Patrick.1.3 hours for Nana, and 1,3 hours for Kate!(but it was worth it)

You queued for 2 and a half hours for your photoshoot with Patrick?! Was he late? Or did you show up to the earlier session but have a high ticket number?

I overall enjoyed Myself this weekend, the guests were amazing and friendly, the talks I did see were very interesting and my photoshoots came out perfectly. I also met some very like minded fans that I might not have met if I didn't go to a convention like this.

However I was disappointed with Stage B, they needed a much bigger area to accommodate the huge number of fans especially for guests like Brent Spiner. There also needed to be more stalls, what was there were good but there wasn't much variety.

Overall despite some disappointment I had a really good time and my expectations were met.

For me I can't really answer the question as it's kind of on the fence between yes and no. I want to say yes, but my bank account and my remains of the wreckage that is my body would likely say no.

On another note: I saw a guy jump on a deflated blowup lazer tag thing and break his nose, so I think that guy's nose would say no, but his past self just before jumping would say yes.

I had a fantastic time.

I had printed off the timetable and read everything on the website, I just wish the staff had done the same......

Chaos was not the word, as there where no clear instructions for the staff to follow when I had it in black and white in front of me.

Then the Klingon party was not what I had expected......and I then knew I was not going to go to the TNG event.

Getting the photos of people dressing up was my highlight plus the talks. Awesome.

I put no because expensive, stage areas for talks could have been a lot bigger - as they were so small we got to see nothing at all. They have no excuse - the Excell is huge and at every event i have ever been there both halls are used. Just a money making exercise using our love of Star Trek in a cruel way. All they had to do was include a talk in the ticket price, guaranteeing a seat at one talk at least, making sure enough seats to cover that - see my other reviews. This could have been so much better.

I will remember the energiser bit with fun, the tiny collection (not really a museum) and the Klingon bar seat for £30 - very bad value for money.

Sadly i have always wanted to go to a Star Trek convention for the 40 years I have been a fan, this has put me off and as my first and only experience is likely to be my last.

Edited by Grace3

I agree with you grace3, i was a bit dissapointed, this was my first convention and had always wanted to go to one. I found that the staff stood around the event didn't have much clue. Went to the help desk and asked where you got the free tickets from for the david warner talk, i got told all tickets went for all talks this morning, as people were queing up from 7am, i could walk round to david's talk and there might be the odd ticket. I went round and no there were no tickets, but there was about 40seats empty, i thought they would have let people in even if they didn't have a ticket, just to fill the seats, but they didn't.

I never saw any st johns ambulance tent. and i was with someone who gets anxiety attacks when around crowded places, and would of liked to have took him somewhere quiet to sit down and relax, there wasn't any seating.

I found the convention very cramped and there were no maps of the event layout peppered about to help you know where to go, found it quite annoying having to go to each corner of the event to get a pic taken, on the website the map on the event is totally different, there wasn't even a model prop of the enterprise.

It gave me a headache, i would of liked all the photos in one area without the wiggly que line, you didn't even get a ticket for your coat or bag when you handed it in to get your pic taken, anyone could have took it.

It was all very cramped, and could of been spread out more, i feel like cbs and star trek have sold me out, everything was cost, the day ticket should have been £15 as there was really nothing you could do. The stalls were few and very poor, didn't dare walk through them incase i knocked everything over. Musuem should have been so much bigger, I just feel like everything looked cheap and tacky. Considering this was the biggest event in 10years, you could have done it so much better, its a shame it has probably put a lot of people off going to another.

At least i got to see two of my favourite actors. and did manage to have a little chat to them, even though the forum said that you will only get enough time to say hello and thats it, next.

I've really come back dissollusioned with it all, i just feel stressed and manic with it all.

Another thing i noticed was in the captain talk, those who paid the most and got the front rows, were the ones who were allowed to ask questions, and us commoners in the standard seats never got the chance to ask anything. I think the lad who stood on the step and talked to kate mulgrew on the sunday afternoon was an actor, he seemed very confident and his mannerisms were very staged.

Plenty of people behind got to ask questions in the talks I was in, didn't see that many from the front middle section, most were behind where we were in the Gold side blocks, so this statement is just not true

They have no excuse - the Excell is huge and at every event i have ever been there both halls are used. Just a money making exercise using our love of Star Trek in a cruel way. All they had to do was include a talk in the ticket price, guaranteeing a seat at one talk at least, making sure enough seats to cover that - see my other reviews. This could have been so much better.

I'll quote myself from another thread:

What's with the obsession of "one hall" or "two halls"? The Excel doesn't have any specific number of halls, it's a multi use configurable space - even the numbers from S1 and N1 to S8 and N8 (or whatever the highest one was) are arbitrary - it could be 8 individuals or 1 large one on each side of the concourse. There is no "why didn't they use both halls" arguement, they just rented the halls they needed

My two sons and i attended the Sunday. Because of our high ticket numbers we couldnt get to William Shatners photoshoot until the afternoon and we had arrived at Excel at 9am. So we had 3 hours to kill before our first Talk with Shatner followed by Stewart. Then it was a total rush for Mulgrew, Shatner, Brooks and Dorns photoshoot. We spent over £400 for entry and all this. My son who is 10 years old got to ask Stewart a question at the Talk and we were right at the back wall of the packed main stage. We realise that this is pure luck of course but it made our day.

People talk of all the chaos involved but from our point of view you had time to work out when to see who and as we only went on 1 day i think we organised ourselves pretty well.

The AMERICANS have been doing these events for years and though i havent been to one i bet that they started off small. Give it another few years if we can make this a yearly event and it is up to all of us to make this happen and help because these conventions are for US fans. Anyhow my son said to me this morning that it was the BEST DAY OF HIS LIFE and he said that he would love to do it again. I am 46 and I loved it. To meet people like Shatner and Stewart is an absolute pleasure and i for one thank the event organisers for making this all happen.

Happy Happy Happy!

• Like 3

2 Photos/Autographs

This is were, in my opinion was the least well organize part of the whole day! I had prepaid for my photos with 3 of my favorite characters.I thought that prepay meant that you were quite near the front No chance!I queued for 2.5 hours for Sir Patrick.1.3 hours for Nana, and 1,3 hours for Kate!(but it was worth it)

If you dont mind me asking..why were you standing around waiting for so long for photoshoots? They would have been called in number order usually (your number being on your ticket), so why wait around for hours when you could have gone away, browsed stalls, got autographs etc, then come back later on? You would have still gotten your photoshoots..If you were a low number then fair enough, I too would have expected to be in and out pretty quick. If you were a high number though, then of course there would be a wait, but considering the shoot slots wernt even that long, thats what is confusing me?

Just curious..but glad you had a good time otherwise :)

For me I can't really answer the question as it's kind of on the fence between yes and no. I want to say yes, but my bank account and my remains of the wreckage that is my body would likely say no.

Personally id call that the sign of a good show :coolthumb:

I put no because expensive, stage areas for talks could have been a lot bigger - as they were so small we got to see nothing at all. They have no excuse - the Excell is huge and at every event i have ever been there both halls are used.

You realise they had THREE halls booked right? S8-S10 for the show, while N10 was for the morning queuing.

Sadly i have always wanted to go to a Star Trek convention for the 40 years I have been a fan, this has put me off and as my first and only experience is likely to be my last.

This is to everyone saying they have wanted to go to a Trek con in the past, so apologies Grace3 for quoting your post in this instance.

There have been many opporunities over the last several years to attend trek cons, just not as well advertised as this one was. Showmasters who co ran this show, attempted to run a Star trek convention on they're own before called Warp 10, twice, but didnt go ahead due to lack of numbers interested :no:

Im assuming then that no-one actually knew of this event before now?

I found the convention very cramped and there were no maps of the event layout peppered about to help you know where to go, found it quite annoying having to go to each corner of the event to get a pic taken, on the website the map on the event is totally different, there wasn't even a model prop of the enterprise.

Sorry, but I dont get the bit about the maps, as there were several that I saw inside the event, AND outside on the concourse? Im assuming you managed to miss every single one then?

It was all very cramped, and could of been spread out more

I actually thought it was a very good size, for an event of its size! Most uk events are MUCH MUCH more cramped and rammed to the rafters! Compared to the big London film and comic con each summer, run by showmasters, DSTL was a breeze lol

• Like 1