WHAT A FANTASTIC EVENT...DSTL = EPIC WIN!

I hope that any concerns people have are read, considered and hopefully implimented if required.....and to be honest knowing showmasters I'm sure they will.

I think this event should be held every two years in order to keep it special, but if it is every year then I will attend

for £29 you got more to do than LFCC or EMS......but for £299 you got a whole lot more :borg:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a seasoned convention attendee, having attended over 100 events both signing events, fan conventions and combo-events such as DSTL.   No one puts together events with as much going on and as ma

It was great. I really enjoyed it. This was my first convention and I can't wait for my second. I hope it is with Showmasters. I think the people who are complaining did not even plan ahead. They

Not sure if you are a real fan or a employee of showmasters/related to showmasters.

It was great. I really enjoyed it. This was my first convention and I can't wait for my second. I hope it is with Showmasters. I think the people who are complaining did not even plan ahead. They just turned up after 9am and expected too much Thousands of people came from every part of the globe to be here! This was not a simple event where you could stroll in at your convenience. You had to commit to it. I did, and I got everything done, and I did not have to rush. DSTL gets 10/10.

You say that the people complaining did not plan ahead. I have been planning my attendance to this event for a few months.

You state "They just turned up after 9am and expected too much." - Well I had to stay in a hotel my friend worked in just to be able to afford this and it was a journey and a half (Marriott if you're curious and it was Two DLR's and a 15 minture walk away) and I still got there at half 8.

"This was not a simple event where you could stroll in at your convenience." you're right, I had to stand in a queue in a different unit and I was guided in at someone else's convinience.

And after all of this I was still excited! I had planned my days, I had schedules worked out on my phone! But upon arrival everything went wrong. I missed every free talk after standing in the morning queue because more people got there first. (Silver gold and platinum I expect), I was skint after forking out £1500 overall for this event (and all I got were two 3-day-standards) so I couldn't afford paid talks and I still tried to make the most of this event. Because if I really focussed on all the issues I would probably cry at the amount I spent compared to what I actually got.

I committed to this event and I think your comment was unfair.

P.s, my enjoyment to non enjoyment ratio was 50:50 so I think I had a better time than most.

To get to the Excel on Sunday I had to walk to get a bus, then walk from the stop to the DLR station, then change onto another DLR train, then get the replacement bus and then walk over to the Excel. I was still in the queue before 8am. And it meant I got to do everything I wanted no probs.

• Like 1

Yeah only people associated with SM seemed to have enjoyed it fully. And I paid gold not standard entrance and I knew and planned for the event even before tickets were on sale and the entitlement info in the website was constantly changing. Ofcourse my planning did not include that I would have to queue 1.5 hours before every talk even with GOLD to get a decent seat and then miss out on every other thing in DSTL. I was actually ashamed when people who had traveled from US and Australia expressed their utter disappointment (after spending so much money and time to come here) about this event in London and me being a resident of this city.

I guess it depends on your definition of decent. On Sunday I had my bag with me so needed an aisle seat or better so I didn't end up with it on my lap. I got to Scott's talk 15mins before they let people in and I was still in the front row on the right of the stage.

Yeah only people associated with SM seemed to have enjoyed it fully. And I paid gold not standard entrance and I knew and planned for the event even before tickets were on sale and the entitlement info in the website was constantly changing. Ofcourse my planning did not include that I would have to queue 1.5 hours before every talk even with GOLD to get a decent seat and then miss out on every other thing in DSTL. I was actually ashamed when people who had traveled from US and Australia expressed their utter disappointment (after spending so much money and time to come here) about this event in London and me being a resident of this city.

1) I'm not associated with SM at all, and I haven't been to an event like this in a very long time, however I modicum of common sense meant I wasn't expecting to be able to do everything I wanted to do on a shoestring budget and without queueing and/or missing some stuff

2) As I've said elsewhere, getting into the Gold queue for one of the captain's talks 5-10mins before the queue was let in we still got about 9 rows from the front, approx. 5 seats along on the side block. The earliest we got in a queue was 40mins for Patrick Stewart and that got us the row behind platinum seating, 6 seats in on the side block. If you were queueing 1.5hrs before the start and got poor seats, you must have a funny idea of what good seating is...

• Moderators

Not true.

People are allowed to express that they enjoyed this event, just like people can express genuine issues. Can we try to not judge either side please? It's not fair on anyone involved.

My Hotel was in Pimlico. I woke up at 5am. Walked to Victoria Station. Got a bus to the London Bank. Walked for half an hour to Aldgate East station. Got a bus to Canning Town. Walked the rest of the way to Excel and I arrived before 8am. I went to the men's room and then walked downstairs and waited for the cloak room to open. It opened at 8.05am. The man apologised for being late and he took my coat. I then queued inside the giant hanger and it was practically empty. There was a small child running from one end to the other. I had a standard ticket for Saturday. I was in the first line for standard ticket holders. I waited in line until 9.10am and we were allowed to enter. The queue for Stage B was already long, but I could see there were at least a hundred chairs in Stage B and there were only 70-80 people in the queue when I got in. I had a great time and I can't wait to go again. This was my first convention. I had nothing else to compare it with. It was a wonderful day and it gets 10/10 in my eyes.

P.S. During Kate Mulgrew's talk one of the girls who asked her a question said she had a "horrible horrible day". It never occurred to me for a single second that she was talking about the convention. I assumed she was talking about personal problems. I don't know why she said that.

Edited by Aaron2029

Look ANAM for the last time I am not affiliated with SHOWMASTERS....AND I HAD AN EPIC TIME

Sorry you didn't but please post on another thread because you seem hell bent on dragging what I wanted to be a positive thread into the gutter!

I think we should get rid of the forum as too many people want simply stir up trouble and ruin what WAS a great event.

It insults people who bust their butts to pay for and plan for events such as this...when people who clearly don't know their ear from their elbow plan badly and try to blame everyone else....sometimes they want blame fans, crew, organisers and even the stars themselves!!

I am all for balanced views, but to state "only people associated with SM seemed to have enjoyed it fully" when in fact the majority of people who have nothing to do with showmasters have stated on here that they enjoyed it - is just beyond me!

as it stands 85% state they have enjoyed the event in the poll.

I am one of those people, and to people like ANAM.....email the organisers and let them know your thoughts

Have a great day everyone :smile:

• Like 1

If you were queueing 1.5hrs before the start and got poor seats, you must have a funny idea of what good seating is...

Perhaps you should read my reply properly before commenting?

Look ANAM for the last time I am not affiliated with SHOWMASTERS....AND I HAD AN EPIC TIME

Sorry you didn't but please post on another thread because you seem hell bent on dragging what I wanted to be a positive thread into the gutter!

Just because you had a good time does not mean everyone did. Just as you have the right to express your satisfaction here, so does everyone else who are not.

I think we should get rid of the forum as too many people want simply stir up trouble and ruin what WAS a great event.

Ya typical redneck mentality. "Lets get rid of any way for others to express their opinion that does not match with mine!"

If you were queueing 1.5hrs before the start and got poor seats, you must have a funny idea of what good seating is...

Perhaps you should read my reply properly before commenting?

Just because you had a good time does not mean everyone did. Just as you have the right to express your satisfaction here, so does everyone else who are not.

Ya typical redneck mentality. "Lets get rid of any way for others to express their opinion that does not match with mine!"

You are entitled to be disgruntled and to express that, but there are about a dozen or more threads for that, why can't those who did have a good time be allowed to have their own threads without having their credibility called into question?

People are allowed to express that they enjoyed this event, just like people can express genuine issues. Can we try to not judge either side please? It's not fair on anyone involved.

Absolute right. I also enjoyed it but the nagative just outweighs the positives too much considering the value for money and just expressing that. It's normal to express your disappointment just like anyone can express they had a fantastic time here.

Hi

Well back home and unpacked, I have a fab time at the event and did all I wanted and more! Spent way too much money and stop counting the penies after a while, I was here to enjoy myself. I agree with most posters here loved the event, you needed to do your planning and read the forums, I think that most people that had a poor time didn't plan or have any plan prepared, with an event this size - planning is key! I was in the queue for entry at least 1.5 to 2hrs before opening time - this is what kindles are for! VQ system worked very well not waiting around for long. New people didn't seem to get this and blocked the gangways up!

I bought a gold ticket very early as I thought it would offer the best value. As I was on my own I could do what I wanted and when. I got all autographs from next gen and tos on the friday except for 3 which I did on the sat. I got all my captains by the end of sat and had also done 5 photos shoots, bridge shoot, kirk bridge shoot and shopped! By the end of sunday I done and extra 3 photots shoots bought on the day (so high numbers) and attended 3 captains talks out of 5. I gave away two of my talk tickets to randon fans I meet as they clashed with photos shoots. But that was my choice at an event like this know what you want and make compromises! Photos shoots are more important to me and I saw the captains at opening!

I have seen alot of people complaining about the free talks, but what do you expect? Ok the seating could have been bigger but the talks were free! of course they were going to be popular!

Likes and well done

staff in key areas great knew what they were doing - well done all you deserve a medal for patience

photoshoots great new photo system worked great with the number of attendees

Come on Jason give us another Star Trek one! Also please give us a dvd of event!

improvements to be made

goody bags, free leaflets, pen, coasters all in bin - nothing in there of value. Standard/silver bags had better autographs!

handing out of free talk tickets- perhaps think about handing out half in the morning and then giving out the rest later for people in later.

more stands with merchandise - not that much really

for the kingon blood wine or romulan ale would have look to buy in a souvienr cup of somekind 6.00 for a small plastic cup not good value

But like I said I loved the event and got all I wanted and would gladly do it all again (after much more OT hours!)

Roll roll next event!

Live long and Proper

I am a seasoned convention attendee, having attended over 100 events both signing events, fan conventions and combo-events such as DSTL.

No one puts together events with as much going on and as many stars available for extended periods of time other than Showmasters.

It was fantastic, everything was well spaced, crew were well informed and polite, the schedual allowed time to do most of what you would want to do (in my case 100%).

My wife and I purchased Gold tickets as I believed they offered the best overall value and included the things we wanted to do.

I had 52 autographs to obtain (which included 11 Captains autographs) I MANAGED TO OBTAIN ALL

Over the weekend we attended:

Opening Ceremony

Shatner Talk

Brooks Talk

Stewart Talk

Mulgrew Talk

Bakula Talk

Spiner Talk

Dorn Talk

Delancie Talk

Stunt show

Bridge Shoot

We did everything we wanted to do, never in a rush, never flustered and always having fun. What we did was read the website and forum before we went and made sure we were at the venue 30 minutes before opening and that meant we could do everything we wanted.

It was fantastic...everything was...a couple of things require improvement (minor), but Showmasters always learn 'and put right what once was wrong'

THANK YOU to all involved, crew, staff, organisers etc GREAT JOB

Live Long and Prosper and see you at DSTL 2014 (every two years would be perfect) :thumbup:

p.s: too many fans are becoming rude and walking around with a huge sense of entitlement....get real and get over yourselves!

I am a seasoned convention attendee, having attended over 100 events both signing events, fan conventions and combo-events such as DSTL.

No one puts together events with as much going on and as many stars available for extended periods of time other than Showmasters.

It was fantastic, everything was well spaced, crew were well informed and polite, the schedual allowed time to do most of what you would want to do (in my case 100%).

My wife and I purchased Gold tickets as I believed they offered the best overall value and included the things we wanted to do.

I had 52 autographs to obtain (which included 11 Captains autographs) I MANAGED TO OBTAIN ALL

Over the weekend we attended:

Opening Ceremony

Shatner Talk

Brooks Talk

Stewart Talk

Mulgrew Talk

Bakula Talk

Spiner Talk

Dorn Talk

Delancie Talk

Stunt show

Bridge Shoot

We did everything we wanted to do, never in a rush, never flustered and always having fun. What we did was read the website and forum before we went and made sure we were at the venue 30 minutes before opening and that meant we could do everything we wanted.

It was fantastic...everything was...a couple of things require improvement (minor), but Showmasters always learn 'and put right what once was wrong'

THANK YOU to all involved, crew, staff, organisers etc GREAT JOB

Live Long and Prosper and see you at DSTL 2014 (every two years would be perfect) :thumbup:

p.s: too many fans are becoming rude and walking around with a huge sense of entitlement....get real and get over yourselves!

I agree this was a great event. Although you look like you are a VIP - so you can't really comment on the ease of getting round! you had 6 small ferengi carrying you around!

• Like 1

I agree this was a great event. Although you look like you are a VIP - so you can't really comment on the ease of getting round! you had 6 small ferengi carrying you around!

Yes my small ferengi do come at a cost! 3 bars of gold pressed latinum each! maybe next time I should get a stretcher to carry me so my feet don't get sore :stretcher:

I enjoyed the event. Got all the photos and autos I wanted. Caught the 2 talks I wanted to. The price (IMHO) was spot on. It was never billed as a convention, but rather a fan event. £29 for ALL captains in one place. Well worth it. I liked the museum, but was shocked by the associated stall they had and their seriously overpriced items. (TOS communicator) £30 eBay, DSTL price - £129. But that's not the fault of the organisers. People complaining about having to provide their own photos..AND? Don't see the problem with that. I'd rather bring my own items, that way it's a picture I want signed, not the same photo 10000 other people have got done. It took me 5 minutes on google and 10 minutes on the printer to get 15 glossy photos printed out. No issues from me. My only gripe was the '1 photo, 1 ticket' aspect. Why would I need to pay twice, so my wife is in the same photo? The photographer still only has to take 1 photo. Only 1 photo has to be printed. Why would a couple want to have 2 identical photos? That, was the only 'money grabbing' aspect I encountered. And if they run this again ( or similar) I suggest they seek advice from Stan Lee's photographers at LSCC (froggy's) because they nailed it.

Yes that stall was overpriced....I don't understand why?? I agree not the fault of Showmasters, Media 10 or CBS

My Grades on how it went

Venue = A

Guest line up = A*

Layout = A

Museum/prop Display = A*

Talk layout = B

Free talk capacity = C

Price of ticket packages = B+

Staff of Excel = C-

Showmasters crew = A

Autograph area = A*

Photo ops = A

Autograph prices = A*

How I feel the event should be scored overall = A

much better job than most and prices for autographs were as cheap as you will see anywhere

thanks to everyone :thumbup: