How did the show go?

18blue78

Had a great day, just met Englund and got the RD photoshoot, very happy with the partial refund and especially the photo printing service! Amazing stuff. Weird to see people say it was so quiet it was "embarassing", I don't get that. I was at LFCC '11 so know that it wasn't as busy as shows like that but still.

• Like 1

It was very quiet on Saturday but it made getting around the stalls and looking at items easy. Surprise at how small the queue was when we arrived on Saturday.

My friend got a low number for Matt Smith autograph which was good.

I love the new photo system which is a million times better than the old system. Matt Smith and the Red Dwarf cast were great.

So so so quiet today, got there at 9.10am and walked straight in.

Never have i ever seen so few lines, all day it was like 5.30pm at a quiet event!!

This meant for quality time with guests who were grateful to have someone to speak too, a 20 minute guest chat was my personal best today! :thumbup:

• Like 3

If it was quiet on Saturday then it was dead today. Very few people around, no lines for most of the guests many of whom were looking rather bored. Arrived at 9:45, walked straight in and joined the short lines for the GoT guests. Meant you could have a good chat with them and I was done before 10:30.

Only hung around with a friend to act as photographer while he met the Blakes 7 guests. Had time for really long chats with some of them which even I found interesting.

Craig Charles had a bit of a queue and Robert Englund still but that was about it, you could just walk up to anyone else. Left about 1 but only that late because we were talking to people and had lunch there.

Seemed a bit embarrassing really.

James Cosmo and Gemma Whelan were lovely though. Both very enthusiastic and seemed pleased to meet everyone and talk about their work.

Edited by Rockstar6662

Saturday seemed VERY quiet. Turned up at 8.30am and the pre-booked entrance looked dead. There were hardly any stalls inside (no big problem as I only go to meet the stars), and the lack of fans meant it was easy to get around.

Thought the on-site immediate printing went amazingly well, shocking the cynic that I am.

The blue shirt staff at the photo zones were brilliant sorting out my clashes, and the red shirts were great too.

The only sour taste is from the Red Dwarf refunds at the tables where you purchase ops on the day. Stood in line for 20 minutes, got to front to be told "oh, you need to be in the next line along for refunds, just go to the back, it won't take long". Problem was that line was longer than the one we had just been in - and we needed too be at photoshoots etc.

There was no signage to suggest this. Poor form - please sort it for next time, should such a situation arise!!!

Enjoyed the event. would have finished by 10am if i didn't have to wait for Jonathan Frakes and Chris Claremont. in the end left at noon.

Remembered to get a game of Throne photo this time, already my facebook profile pic (^_^)

I quite enjoyed the fact it was not as busy as comic con,managed to get chris malcolm and the delightful mr frakes before 1 o clock

then had a very relaxing afternoon at the pub.

well done to all :thumbup:

So so so quiet today, got there at 9.10am and walked straight in.

Never have i ever seen so few lines, all day it was like 5.30pm at a quiet event!!

This meant for quality time with guests who were grateful to have someone to speak too, a 20 minute guest chat was my personal best today! :thumbup:

Another Cylon recruit?

• Like 2

I was surprised by how quiet it was, even on the Saturday with Matt Smith in attendance. It was also the quietest event for me personally in a long while. Not necessarily a bad thing, given how I've had to rush about in the past; the open spaces were lovely, I met some great guests and I had my friend with me on Sunday, which passed any spare time between autos/photoshoots etc. most pleasantly. The best part was the immediate photo collection - no more having to fight past a load of people unwilling to move just in case their photo might appear! Of course, that also meant that people could disappear as soon as they'd got their last photo, so people who might have loitered around the stalls to kill time and bought something as a result would not have done so this time unless they were waiting for later photoshoots/talks etc. A good experience on the whole, though.

Edited by CosmicAvatar

Went on the Saturday, and it was extremely quiet-I expected it to be busier cos of Matt Smith, but I suppose the fact he was only announced a week before most probably couldn't get down. I only came down for him so was done quite quickly photoshoot in the morning and auto after the photoshoot. Really liked the new photo collection point at the end of the shoot - much better than waiting around and great quality. Matt was also lovely, I was surprised how fast he went through everyone -I suppose the fact the show was quieter than last year's EMS or LFCC allowed people to chat to him if they wanted to.

Sat in a lot of talks in the afternoon - I wasn't sure what to think of the lining up to ask questions rather than put your hand up and the mic will come to you - if people are in the middle of rows they may not want to get up and move around people and I think it makes it less awkward for talks that don't have a lot of questions.

That said I really enjoyed Dean Cain's talk (made me wish I had just met him, seemed like a lovely, genuine guy) and Matt Smiths - think if the talk was less pricerer or even free they would have been a lot more people.

Had a lovely day nonetheless :smile:

Personally I loved the ease and quiet. But as an event I can see how SM might be a little dissapointed in the attendance. Hope they broke even at least. Was a great weekend as always. Loved getting to talk to some friends on the crew as I usually dont see them for the crowds and busyness lol

• Like 1

We had a fab day. It was my sons 3rd Showmasters event, so he is really getting the hang of them now! He's now 5 1/2.

We just had standard entry tickets for the Sunday and arrived at Olympia bang on 11 (we had planned to get there earlier, but train services were some what slow - in fact part of our journey ended up by Coach, but that's another story).

We came straight into the main hall which was really spacious and well lit and I was surprised that after the quick restroom trip we were able to go and see Dean Cain straight away, then shortly after Colin Baker , who were both Fab.

We then had a good look and hunt round the stalls, picking up some goodies, including the fab American Candy stall.

We then had a bit of lunch and then went to chat and speak to the Comic Artists, before feeling inspired and heading to Artists Alley for some drawing ourselves.

After that we had our Dean Cain photo shoot which was "Super" and then picked up some more autos from Robert Englund, John Leeson and Dave Prowse before heading off for some gaming in the video game zone.

Bumped into a couple of friends in the afternoon and had a quick chat, always great to catch up with fellow fans and collectors.

We had some photos with the Fab Cosplayers and a Dalek.

We then had one last sweep of the stalls and left about 5 with about four more bags then we entered with some great Dr Who goodies and a few other bits and bobs.

Edited by GoldenGreen

The show was excellent as always...showmasters always make a great day for our hobby!

Roll on Autographica for an out of this world moon men encounter.......

and then the biggest most spectacular and galactically gorgeous Destination Star Trek London.....YESSSSSSS! :dance:

Thanks to Jason and the team at Showmasters

• Like 1

I regret not going now, for m, half the fun is going up to the guests, asking for photos and having a chat! I would have gone up to anyone with no queue, asked if it was possible for a photo or two, asked them about their work, shame! Sounds like it was quite good :) bring on next year :)

It being super quiet was good for chatting to guests, but as a stallholder it was a bit depressing on my finances! Luckily we did well enough on Saturday to cover our meagre sales on Sunday, and I still had a good time. Matt Smith and the Red Dwarf guys were definitely my highlight and I got some wonderful photos and some nice Doctor Who and Lego bits :)

Unfortunately I thought it was a little bit of a let down.

I must say I felt sorry for Jason and the Showmasters team that Danny John Jules had to cancel at the last minute, I mean there was nothing Jason could really have done. I'm sure that the majority of people who may have purchased the Red Dwarf group photoshoot would just have cancelled rather than having a shot with the other three members on the basis that Jason will probably get the four of them together at some future convention.

I thought there would be a bigger audience for Matt Smith but perhaps he got announced too late in the calendar for people to arrange their plans.

I suppose there wasn't really any individual guest that I was eager to meet, although Robert Englund was superb, and maybe my vision of the event is clouded by the fact that there wasn't someone I was dying to meet.

Anyhow I did feel it was underwhelming especially in comparison to the EMS event a few years ago with Denis Lawson, Carl Weathers, Jack Charlton, John Barnes, Jimmy White etc (can't remember the year) as that event was buzzing with people whereas it felt empty this year.

I think the Star Trek event is going to be amazing at the end of the month and I know the LFCC'13 will be great but I was disappointed this EMS didn't live up to the high expectations Jason and his team give us by continually delivering great shows.

I would like Showmasters to answer one question that put a real downer on my weekend:

This is with particular reference to the Elm Street guests. Great people - can't fault them whatsoever. However unfortunately my camera had jammed at that moment, so rather than take up too much of their time while I fiddled about with it, I opted to leave rather than get a posed picture at the table (which they seemed more than happy to do).

Later on, when I got my camera working, I noticed they had an empty table for a good few minutes. So I approached, and stated that I wasn't able to get a photo earlier and would it be possible to get one now over the table. The crew member [didn't catch his name, as he was not displaying a name badge at the time] insisted it was not possible. I am assuming he was trying to get me to pay another £15.

I understand if it is busy, however there was nobody within 20 yards while I was making this simple request. And, with the time, effort and expense I had gone to, with hindsight I probably would not have paid for the signatures if I had known that I wouldn't be able to get a photograph at the table as that is a huge part of the experience for me.

Is it Showmasters' policy to try and get people to pay an extra £15 to kneel on the floor and lean over the desk to take a picture with their own camera? If so, I would be grateful if they could be up front about it, rather than try and imply it when you are at the show in front of the guests.

On the other hand if the crew member simply wanted to take it upon himself to try and deflate my day - congratulations. Job done.

• Moderators

Usually it's expected that if you want an over-the-table photo you buy an autograph, which yes you had done in this case, but if the crew member didn't remember you having been there earlier (not an unusual occurence, especially if the guest has seen a reasonable number of attendees since then) then he may have thought you were after something for nothing (and there are people who will spin the 'oh I was here earlier and paid then...' story when they haven't - you may have been the victim of other people's dishonesty).

I have to say I was completely disappointed with this event. The one guet I had prebooked cancelled so I was left with the entry tickets for Sunday. There really wasn't a great number of guests on the day, the stalls I feel weren't as varied as usual. We spent about an hour there compared to usually spending 5 or 6 hours. Sorry this is such a negative post but I really don't feel it was worth the entry fee :(

We went Saturday. We didn't arrive until around 10 or 10:30, but as soon as we went in we noticed how quiet it was. Though, for me, this was a good thing as we were able to wander around at our own pace etc. I have trouble with my hips, legs and back, so I didn't feel as rushed as usual which can (and does) make the pain I'm in feel worse. My friend had a low autograph number (prepaid) for Matt Smith, and had met him within our first hour there, as well as two other guests. I met two of my "wants" also within that first hour. I'd met Matt by around 1pm, which I thought was brilliant bearing in mind I had VQ number 380, then we just spent time wandering around some more, my friend had her photo done on the Iron Throne, and bumped into a friend a few times! Then while my friend queued for a couple of the comic artists, I met Robert Englund (who had me in stitches!) We had originally planned to leave around 5pm to give time to get back to Paddington for our train home, but ended up leaving at least an hour earlier because we'd pretty much done everything we wanted.

I still have a silly grin on my face from the wonderful memories created over the course of the day, and as it was so quiet, I loved the relaxed feeling in the atmosphere. (Or was that just me? lol!)

• Like 1

OK, Im going to bullet point mine....theres a few issues LOL

Good:

most of the crew were really helpful and lovely :)

Had more time to talk to the guests and less time to queue

met some really awesome people that I had become friends with on facebook due to these events

Bad:

1 crew member...not helpful at all...

I had arrived and paid to get in on the Saturday at 3.20pm straight from the train to get the Red Dwarf and boxers signatures (as they were only there Saturday) and our main day was Sunday but we rushed and paid to get in anyway. To be told the Red Dwarf photo shoot had already happened (scheduled for 4.15-5.15pm)...so even though we had plenty of time....they decided off their own backs just to do it earlier despite people making plans. that SUCKED.

Ludo...nowhere in sight...

Craig Charles...left early and then when we tried to get him on the Sunday we assumed he had gone for his dinner...only to realize he had left early again!

Boxers...no where to be seen

the show was EMPTY. fair enough we didn't have to queue, but there were half the amount of stalls....which majority of the stall holders looked bored to tears.

Yep I get the points about being able to walk around, see stalls, no queues. But some of those guests were first time signers in the UK....and as they sat there at their desk with no queues for HOURS on end....I doubt very much they would like to come back! which is very unfair. If they are first UK signers....show them to a big show to wet their appetite to come back again. I felt really embarrassed and sorry for them. I just feel that 'new' guests should be at the bigger shows to encourage them to come back :( poor souls!

I had booked train tickets to return home on the Sunday at 6pm. We had walked round the stalls that many times after getting all our autographs in under an hour that I could probably memorize every item they sold LOL we had over 4 hours to kill....and man was that hard!

I have decided I will probably never attend an EMS again. I have been to Milton Keynes and London Film and Comic con, and knowing this was more of a 'side' convention rather than a main one I still wasn't expecting no outside queues at all and the inside to be absolutely dismal.

The Guests who were there and the people/crew made it bearable. They were all FANTASTIC (bar one!)! and enjoyed myself just for those alone.

I'm afraid I would rather queue for hours and get bumped around stalls than pay over £300 in train and hotel etc to attend EMS again :(

This was Olympia in July:

577241_10150960283738323_1583276737_n.jpg

561071_10150960282848323_684378297_n.jpg

the excitement was much more intense!

we only used half of the room this time and the stalls had to be spread out to fill the space.

Do you think maybe you are trying to do too many shows? and maybe stick with doing less....but filling the place more?

Just a thought xx

• Moderators

To be fair the boxers it was mentioned in advance they were only going to be there from 11-3.

The Red Dwarf shoot was moved earlier (mentioned in the last update to the schedule here on the forum before the event) because Craig had to leave early - he was only there on Sunday briefly to make up for the hours he couldn't do on Saturday.