the future of autographs?

mr fagan

Hi all just a curious query here to get you all thinking. What is the ultimate aim in collecting autographs? I have been collecting autos since collectormania 3 in MK and had a few just before then with a balance of personalised and others not. I keep them in acid free sleeves in ring binders and peroidically display a few in frames on the wall. I also have a collection of carded and boxed Dr Who figures/ sets signed by the relevant people. But i cant help but think what will be become of all my collection when i am no longer here? Will it be worth anything at all? The majority of you fellow collectors no doubt have the same autos as me and to add to that those guests have done numerous signings and on top of that again not just in this country.

For example Kenny Baker in years to come is not going to be worth anything due to the sheer volume he has signed over the years. I dont want to come across as a mercenary or anything like that where only the money side of things matter but looking at it objectively its the only way to look at it surely? When it comes to valuations etc surely the money aspect is going to come up at some point?

I have two daughters one 14 years and the other one 5 months old so no doubt everything will be left to them but if the whole collection in general is not going to be worth jack then do i stop now or carry on well into my 60s? lol.

When i mentioned earlier about other people having the same autos as me i dont expect EVERYONE to have exactly the same amount AND selection of autos as me but there wouldnt be much difference i bet.

Over the years i have now amassed a total of 430 + 10x8 photos not to mention the various books magazines figures posters that have been signed too.

Any thoughts on this would be nice and would love to read other peoples thoughts on it and if anyone feels the same way too. I sadly cannot make it to EMS but will definitly be going to Autographica and who knows this may be my last show.....

For me, autographs are mainly a reason to meet & discuss a bit with the guests. It happened to me that because the autograph was too expensive and/or we had no time at all to chat with the guest, I simply skipped it. In that way, I'm not completely an autograph collector. I also prefer very much photos over autographs.

• Like 1

I have no interest in the value of my autographs, especially since the majority of them are personalised and therefore pretty worthless as far as selling goes. They are mementoes of my meetings with the various guests. What happens to them after I'm gone is of no consequence to me, my daughter might like to keep them but if she decides one day to just throw them out that's fine with me, they're for my enjoyment only. I also prefer photos over autographs these days.

Edited by jael001
  • Like 2

• Moderators

It's always been a way for me to meet people who inspire me or who I'm a fan of. Autographs are nice to look at or display, but I often put them away in a drawer for years without looking at them again.

So I honestly couldn't care less about the value. They have memories attached to them that are worth far more to me, and that's not really something that gets devalued.

• Like 6

Ive been collecting autographs for over 25 years now both in person and through the mail and via trusted contacts who aqcuire them for me. I have thousands of items and not just photos. I admit Im running out of storage space but the majority of my stuff I now consider investment pieces that will benefit my children when they are older.

Of course rarer signatures are going to be worth more but even the likes ohf kenny Baker's will be valuable to some extent especially if its on an item like a figure or poster or a multi signed item.

Its the same as people who collect stamps, coins, model cars, collectable dolls etc etc. Its all going to be worth something to someone. Just make sure you're children appreciate that it has value.

I have collected most of my signed items with at least one of my children. When we look at the album of pictures there is usually some memory to go with it, usually something daft I have done. In the future I will pass all my collections on to them and they can look back and say "remember when mum did this" or "do you remember when guest x said that to us" To be honest most of the things I have collected wont be worth much financially but the memories are priceless.

• Like 1

some interesting views there which is fine. On 10x8 photos that are personailsed your name can be removed if you so wish to sell it on later. But the thought of my collection being just binned after i am gone is quite scary. I would hope that would not happen and my photos etc will be of some however limited value / interest. The thought process goes on at the end of the day though i hope to live for a while yet before something really drastic happens to my stuff. Cheers anyway guys enjoy what you love doing best.

I dont get personalisations on items at all now like books, magazines,programmes, football shirts, boxing and goalie gloves, posters, action figures etc because these are my investment pieces but I always do if I can on my photos.

I would say that if you ensure your children and any other relevant survivors (we're a morbid bunch aint we? lol) realise the potential value of such items then they wont bin them. I guess its no different to finding your grandads rolex watch or original Da Vinci up in the loft! :smile:

Seriously? Pretty much 95 to 99 per cent of stuff signed by people that appear at conventions is absolutely worthless.

For me, it is the sentimental personal value. When I go, it can all go in a bin, unless surviving relatives want to keep it, sell it or whatever.

Most of my stuff is personalised, because it adds to the "achievement" value. I actually got a celeb to scribble MY name on a piece of paper, merchandise or whatever.

But there are instances, where I sit back, reflect, and think "why the hell do I do this?", but then I remember the buzz I get, and the satisfaction I obtain from browsing over my items.

• Like 4

Thye majority of my collection isnt stuff signed by guests at conventions and depending on what you get signed there will be value.

Fair play 10x8s signed by various Stormtroopers from Star Wars (and I have lots of these lol) will most likely gain no real financial value but items like boxing gloves signed by Bruno & Tyson or Benn & Watson will be of financial value and remember if people are talking about 'when theyre gone' wed like to think its many years in the future so therell be value.

It's more about having some fun, meeting people you admire and now sharing a passion with my boys for film and tv shows.

If I wanted to do something for future investment purposes I wouldn't choose this as the best route, it may be that some of the rarer autographs that I have may well be worth something in the future, but this would probably be around 10% of my collection where as the bulk will only have limited value in terms of financial terms, my 15 or so Nathan Fillion autos may not amount to much in cash terms but I sure did enjoy the Conventions and Events when I met Nathan many of which have a little story attached.

It's always difficult to tell in advance what an autograph might be worth in the future because times and trends do change, but I would expect some of my film star autos to maintain a decent value and some space ones, plus probably those where I have amassed a full main cast set of signatures on a particular piece.

When I look at my signed photoshoot of myself with William Shatner...it is worth very little to anyone else but me, and you could not give me anything to make me part with it. I met him, hugged him, he signed the picture. I have us both smiling together in my lounge....one of the best moments of my life captured and verified by his own hand...thats why we come to these shows, for moments of joy to keep forever, not for something to slap on ebay via your applephone on the tube on the way home.

Value = Priceless.

• Like 1

Wow, I guess it's obvious that some people get autographs with the future intention of selling them on but still. Thinking about what will happen with them when you're gone and how much money they will be worth seems a bit morbid. Not having a go though, it's just a preference for me that autographs are for personal enjoyment. I want all mine personalised, and wouldn't dream of removing the personalisation to sell it on lol. Just enjoy them while you're around, display them if you like, and remember what it was like meeting that person. Though if you have a huge collection I guess you'd probably be thinking how much of a return you could make off of it, but I only get autographs that I really want, I'm quite select.

Never really thought about it, yes some may be worth something some not but i'm not selling, so who cares

the train fares / entrance fees etc also add to the overall costs of getting them

I just enjoy meeting stars from shows I enjoy watching

I don't waste my money on Fri or Sat night getting legless sessions like some people I know

so guess this is my way of using my income, at least mine has some possibly value

my initial aim was to meet all the Star Trek stars but over the years having now met most of them, some more than once

the latest shows I watch have crept in as well to my collection

I think if the prices to see guests were less I would actually spend more but don't tell showmasters

its also nice going in a DVD shop and seeing dvds with pictures of people on them I have actually spoken to and met, its hard to walk around HMV without seeing anyone on a DVD cover I have met, probably impossible now !

plus reading the latest Sci-Now, SFX's etc and knowing I have met many of the people in the magazine as guests you meet end up in newer shows as well

it just adds something to the enjoyment of watching the shows the stars are from and any new roles they have that you watch after you have met them

meeting guests also lets me discover other shows they have done when checking them out on IMDB

which does get me into some other shows sometimes

overall its just an activity of being a proper fan of the shows

• Like 1

overall its just an activity of being a proper fan of the shows

Bit harsh! You can be a proper fan without having to meet the cast. I have not met anyone from Lost but it does not mean I am a proper fan. I have friends who don't go out meeting celebs but that does not mean they are not proper fans.

It's always been a way for me to meet people who inspire me or who I'm a fan of. Autographs are nice to look at or display, but I often put them away in a drawer for years without looking at them again.

So I honestly couldn't care less about the value. They have memories attached to them that are worth far more to me, and that's not really something that gets devalued.

Same for me tbh. I've also lost a few of my autographs, but as you said they for me were an aid to meet who I admire and even though I've lost some, my memories of meeting that person have not and will never go. :)

• 4 weeks later...

i dont collect any of my autographs for value. i collect the odd one because i am a fan, for example my batman collection is purely because theyve been in batman, doesnt matter who they are or how much its worth. i also collect autographs of people i work with wether ive previously heard of them or not. ive got some autographs that mean the world to me from people whom ive never heard of but had a wonderful time working with them.

mainly though, collecting autographs is a game. for me its about picking a person, and aquiring their autograph however possible. once ive actually got it it goes in the folder with the rest, id say maybe a handful are dear to me as a fan/memory of meeting them.

most, if not all of my dr who ones i get personalised to my sister, because shes a massive fan. that way i get the "game" of aquiring them, but she gets the actual piece. ive met so many people from dr who but have nothing of my own to show for it, because thats not why i do it.

its all a game.