Cosplay at EMS! Who are you cosplaying as? And Signup Info for Mas

FreeSaiyan

Use this topic to -

- Discuss what you're going to be cosplaying as.

- Read about what we're doing for Cosplay for EMS, and how to signup for the stage events including masquerade, talent show and group cosplay shoots.

- Ask questions!

The word cosplay comes from mixing 'costume' and 'play'. It basically means the hobby of making and wearing costumes of your favourite characters from films, anime, books or video games. Cosplay is all about bringing characters to life, so many cosplayers also try their best to look or act like the character.

Bigger and Better than Ever!

The Cosplay Zone is back bigger and better than ever! Not only do we have the masquerade on each day with a massive £100 prize to each winner, but we also have a series of cosplay talks and presentations on stage and displays! If that was not enough there's the Talent Show, themed cosplay days, a chillout area for meets, lots of sweets, cosplays and much more!

Cosplay Masquerade (Saturday & Sunday 3pm)

The Masquerade is taking place on Saturday and Sunday at 3.00pm on the second stage. There is a £100 first prize to the winner of this highly anticipated event! This is the event where you can show off your costume to the public and compete to win some great prizes! All types of costume are welcome, including anime and manga, film and TV, video games, comic book characters, original costumes and others.

More details on how to register can be found at the bottom of this topic!

If you do register be sure to Check-In by the Cosplay Desk at least 30 min before the event so we can put you into a lovely little line, ready for the stage. All entries who have constructed their outfits themselves and wishes to be eligible for the Big £100 prize need to show by the Cosplay Desk at 2pm on respectively Saturday and Sunday to be judged by our judges!

The Talent Show (Saturday 5pm)

If you can sing, dance, do a skit, do stand-up, magic tricks or any other talent you may have (within reason, it's a family show and only a small stage) the this is just for you!

The judges will be making notes of your performance and by the end we will collect notes and points from all Judges to find the winner! Acts should last no longer than three minutes and if you want to use any music, please send it in advance! You can find the form at the bottom of this topic!

How To Signup for the Masquerade, Skit-Show & Talent Show

You can register via email until 2 days prior to the show (registrations close midnight on the Thursday prior!) and on the day of the event, between 10am and 2pm at the Cosplay Desk. Entries will NOT be accepted without reference picture (with the exception of Original creations). Places are limited and will be allocated on a first come first serve basis so please book or arrive early to avoid disappointment!

COSPLAY GROUP PHOTOSHOOTS - WE WANT TO INVOLVE YOU MORE! BIG PRIZE!

We Want to Involve You More! Following the massive-popularity of the impromptu Doctor-Who photoshoot at last October's Entertainment Media Show, we can confirm that the 2nd stage between the times of 4pm to 5pm on both days (just after the Masquerade) shall be given over for Cosplay Group Photoshoots on stage. Groups are expected to be a reasonably large number of people on stage following a similiar theme (ie: from a specific show, style etc, it can be wide-ranging). If you are considering organising a group then you can book a 20-minute slot by emailing showmasterscosplay@googlemail.com

Cosplay Chillout & Groups

Come take a seat, chill-out and get to know fellow cosplayers. As always, we will have supplies in case you have to make any last-minute alterations or repairs to your costume. Whether you will need tape, thread, glue, safety pins - we've got it all!

Facilities for Cosplayers

2 Changing rooms will be available for Cosplayers if you need to change into your outfit mid-day or before the Masquerade. The Cosplay Zone is not available to provide cloakrooms or storing facilities, the venue will providing this for a small fee by the entrance.

Please also see our thread for Prop Rules and further Cosplay Event Information here: http://showmasterson...showtopic=76254

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cosplay Masquerade Form --> https://docs.google....AsBOdWAEwwH_Ve8

Talent Show Form --> https://docs.google....pJOoRfA1zeDw2TE

Please send your forms to cosplay@animeleague.com by Midnight on the Thursday before the event at the latest!

Edited by Animeleague

I'll be wearing my Ace Rimmer which I've only worn once before, at Another Event this year. I've persuaded my friend to wear my Mr Flibble Gingham get up but its her first time in costume so I don't know if she'll go through with it.

Going as Rapunzel... it's a re wear but I'm looking forward to bringing out my blonde braided wig for her again ^_^ To go with my friend who will be Mother Gothel.... we've been friends for a like a couple of years now or something and yet have never done a duo cosplay together haha! So now our plans have been finalised and we're doing disney cosplay together haha!

This is my Rapunzel cosplay at another event earlier in the year:

DSCN1552.jpg

and the braid, though not the best photo of it:

DSCN1558.jpg

Edited by FuriePhoenix

I'll be wearing my Ace Rimmer which I've only worn once before, at Another Event this year. I've persuaded my friend to wear my Mr Flibble Gingham get up but its her first time in costume so I don't know if she'll go through with it.

Ah, so it was *you* who was the Ace at the show! I've been trying to find you xD I'm the 1-2 series Rimmer who had a photo taken by my friend with you and your Holovirus friend :) I have a couple of questions for you, if you would humour me. :P

And no, I'm not in the tiniest bit stalkerish... >_______>

Honest! xD xD xD

• Like 1

Ah, so it was *you* who was the Ace at the show! I've been trying to find you xD I'm the 1-2 series Rimmer who had a photo taken by my friend with you and your Holovirus friend :) I have a couple of questions for you, if you would humour me. :P

Honest! xD xD xD

You did a Fantastic job as Rimmer. I just had to get a picture with you and it was great how methodic you were complete with good old Iron Balls salute.

RimmerandI.jpg

• Like 1

Honest! xD xD xD

You did a Fantastic job as Rimmer. I just had to get a picture with you and it was great how methodic you were complete with good old Iron Balls salute.

RimmerandI.jpg

Oh, excellent! I had been looking for pictures people might have taken! xD I like how this came out! :P:D

Thanks! I'm glad it went down well, since I had to rush it together from scratch in a week and a half!! xD And playing the character is more than half the fun, of course! xD I'm pleased my taudry impressions of Rimmer and Ace amused people xD

I really did like your shirt and cap, by the way. :) A true Dwarfer! I was very impressed to see such a turnout for the Boys from the Dwarf :D

• Like 1

Honest! xD xD xD

RimmerandI.jpg

Oh, excellent! I had been looking for pictures people might have taken! xD I like how this came out! :P:D

Thanks! I'm glad it went down well, since I had to rush it together from scratch in a week and a half!! xD And playing the character is more than half the fun, of course! xD I'm pleased my taudry impressions of Rimmer and Ace amused people xD

I really did like your shirt and cap, by the way. :) A true Dwarfer! I was very impressed to see such a turnout for the Boys from the Dwarf :D

Glad you like it. (It was typical that my iphone decided to spam about when my Friend tried to take the picture and what made it great was that both times you did Rimmers salute)

To be honest your costume was superb, and you did very well in putting together a very authentic looking costume in less time than it takes for Rimmer to open his wallet.

Thank you :) The shirt (believe it or not) I got in 1993 (hence why its rather faded now) and I wore that on Saturday 6th March for the recording of "Rimmerworld", a few months later I bought the Baseball Cap. I wore both that same Shirt and the Baseball cap on Saturday 7th January this year for "Lemons" so this is why I wanted to wear them both to meet Craig. :)

IMG_3952-2.jpg

Honest! xD xD xD

Yes, that was me as Ace, I was worried some one may think I'd gone as jimmy Saville. First time Ive ever crossed dressed for cosplay or been in the same room as the person I'm dressed as, that was a bit scary. So this was us, and if your questions were about the hair, the answer is Ive been through 3 wigs of various cost but none will hold the Ace Rimmer style. I just look like something from Prisoner cell block H. :rolleyes:61177_10151049321495776_487635088_n.jpg

Honest! xD xD xD

Yes, that was me as Ace, I was worried some one may think I'd gone as jimmy Saville. First time Ive ever crossed dressed for cosplay or been in the same room as the person I'm dressed as, that was a bit scary. So this was us, and if your questions were about the hair, the answer is Ive been through 3 wigs of various cost but none will hold the Ace Rimmer style. I just look like something from Prisoner cell block H. :rolleyes:61177_10151049321495776_487635088_n.jpg

LOL, yes, it's always a little daunting meeting the person who played the character you are dressed as while seeing them! xD You did a great job, I must say :D

If you're struggling with the hair and may wish to re-do the cosplay at some point, I am rather well versed in wigs and styling, and have managed to get Doctor Who style Smith-Quiffs to stand up for entire conventions, so if I attempt a wig amd it works, I am more than happy to share my technique and/ or services :) I also offer commissions on wigs, but that's another story xD

My question would be about your rather magnificent outfit; moreover, how you went about it? IE, did you source parts, was it from scratch, was there a specific pattern used, did you have help etc~ Because I do think you have it nailed :) And I'm struggling a little xD Especially since I suck at making; I'm better at modifying xD

Also, thanks for posting the pic! ai'm still in the process of collecting photos of myself and my friends from the weekend :)

Thank you. Its nice When some one with a good costume, such as yourself, who is also a fan compliments your costume because they obviously know what they're talking about !

Ive been cosplaying and doing medieval re-enactment for about 10-13 yrs. C15th clothes are made for the individual and there arent any patterns so through trial and error Ive got quite good and looking at clothing and breaking it down. Ive got an old pair of trousers Ive unpicked and use as a basic pattern. Drew round it and then just sketched in the jodhpur adjustments in chalk. I used a Tshirt as a basic pattern for the jacket. I slightly extended the shoulder lines as the sleeve seams are further down the arm than usual. This, two set of shoulder pads and a narrow waist on the jacket give the inverted triangle shape. I cheated a lot because I was running out of time ( I didnt actually finish it until the night before I flew out to Another Event). The Wrist cuffs should be sewn on separate but I just machined a line round the bottom. The back of the jacket is actually 4 panels but again to save time I did it as one piece. The fur collar was a case of using linen scraps to pin to the made up jacket and using chalk to draw a pattern, trial and error.

Because I was making mine for Another Event ( Atlanta, GA) I used a gold lycra fabric. I suspect from the matt effect the original was possibly rubber backed lame but I wanted something lighter for Atlanta weather. To combat the flimsy of the lycra fabric I lined it all in a stiff black linen, this is what holds the shape and is nicer to have next to my skin! Made up two strips for the shoulder epaulettes and hand stitched them on. The pockets are basically squares with a box pleat down the middle. Jacket, trousers, wrists and pockets all close with gold press studs. I wasnt paying £100 odd quid for riding boots to spray gold so I got rubber riding boots from ebay for £20 and sprayed those with Wilko paint!. I think earlier Ace's boots had hook & eyes but I based my on the 'smoke me a kipper' episode.

Sorry for boring y'all

• Like 1