Dredd 3D

nollins

Following Mr Karl Urban's appearance at LFCC back in July, i was

wondering if anybody has ha the chance to see Dredd yet and what they thought of it.

I got the chance to see it last month and have been dying to talk about it ever since, and can think of no place to do that, than here.

So, any thoughts, your likes, your dislikes, let’s get talking.

Not seen it as cannot see 3D with my glasses prescription - my eyes don't react well to 3D glasses. I am hoping that the 2D version that has been advertised hits UK screens once the US release on the 21st. I have heard good things about the film.

It is brilliant.

There are a few places across the UK that are showing i in 2D,

here is a list of those places http://film.list.co....-around-the-uk/

The nearest one to me is Cardiff and I am not spending petrol money to go see a film that I can wait a bit longer for. The stupid thing is, they would make so much more money from having both showing all over. Especially major cities like Bristol. Madeness. I hope it changes after September 21st when it opens Stateside,

I saw it on the day of release over here and thought it was phenomenal. An excellent film, and good to see a dark and gritty film for a change. One that isn't a 12A

I was lucky enough to see the movie 2 weeks prior to the release, and was stunned and how good it was.

I agree with the whole 18 rating, and asked both Karl Urban and Alex Garland if that was something they set out to achieve, an the simple answer was, yes.

feel free to check out my interviews:

Alex Garland; http://www.mcmbuzz.com/2012/09/07/alex-garland-interview/

Karl Urban: http://www.mcmbuzz.com/2012/09/07/karl-urban-interview-having-a-chin-wag-with-the-judge/

I saw this the other day I thought it was great. The 3D worked well in the areas they had placed it and it was dark & gritty just what you wanted. I don't think it would have done the film justice if they had made it lower than an 18. When Karl said the line "I am the law" it was nice and subtle but effective. I will definitely be getting this as a blu ray.

• Like 1

It was a highly entertaining action piece with cool music but lacking in scope and character.

It's main flaw was this: the film wasn't even about Judge Dredd, it was about the taking of Peach Trees. Stick any character in the lead and it would be practically the same movie but this just happens to be Judge Dredd...and it doesn't even need to be set in the future. Basically the film is like The Raid but with Judge Dredd and set in the future. The story revolved more around the situation rather than Dredd himself and wasn't even true science fiction. Karl Urban is OK but his Kiwi accent surfaces occasionally. Still it's better than Stallone's film anyway.

Alex Garland had the chance to write a film that would (re)introduce Judge Dredd to the world but instead of doing that he basically wrote his version of Die Hard and stuck Judge Dredd in it. You'll note that Die Hard wasn't called John McClane: The Movie, it was called Die Hard. This is why the film has no characeter depth. Audiences still don't know who Dredd is or anything about him. He's just a guy who never removes his helmet and is tough. That's it. The movie has no soul...and that IMO is why the movie is failing at the box office. However, it was entertaining, looked nice, had cool music and good use of 3D.