District Line Not Working?

zhane

Makes you wonder what TFL are doing to the District Line. They've been working on it since 1998. Work isn't due to finish until 2016.
The District Line is pretty much all Victorian, with some Edwardian parts, but generally you're looking at something that is 100, 120, in places nearly 150 years old. Like great swathes of the LU network, there was a hideous lack of investment for many decades, and obviously there was significant degradation over that period. During the mid-90s I spent some time working on track replacement planning to optimise the amount of work they could do in a 53 hour possession over a weekend. (True to form the actual track replacement part got shelved due to budget cuts, but the planning was interesting.) If I remember rightly, if you had four line running, you could theoretically get about 1,600m done in a weekend if all went to plan. This fell to something like 1,200m if you had twin lines, because you didn't quite have the availability of running track for moving material. And if you only had single line track (i.e. you were replacing the track that you also used to bring materials in and take waste out, then the amount you could do was considerably reduced. And again dredging back through my memory, if you were in tunnels that obviously restricted the excavation machinery you could use; I think single line in-tunnel track replacement rate was less than half a kilometre a weekend. And that's if everything goes to plan. There's an awful lot of the District line that is single line in tunnels, so you could theoretically take a month to do a kilometre and a quarter. It could be 15-20km a year. I think the District line has something like 64km of route - with one track in each direction that means at least 128km of track to replace. But there's also no doubt other stuff to do - replace/upgrade signalling for example. Plus because of the increased capacity needed, the new trains they're bringing in will be a bit longer, so a number of existing platforms need to be extended. There will also be structural repairs neded to such a venerable old structure. Basically we're paying the price now for decades of underinvestment in the system.
  • Like 1

morning

My son and I both checked out the TFL site so I can get a tube from victoria to earls court then olympia. we put in the info and it said we can get a tube from those 2 sites. it also said the following------

DISTRICT LINE: Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 October, no service between Earls Court and Edgware Road and between Aldgate East and Upminster.

I looked on a map both victoria and earls court fall in the space not mentioned , and the journey planner states you can do the journey

so

my question is --- will there be tube trains running from earls court to aldgate?

could some one else confirm or correct me about this, please put in the journey planner victoria to earls court on oct 6th around 8 am travel only by tube

do you get the same results

I don't know london and i am traveling in costume so I don't want to get lost

As I explained to you in my earlier post, the District line is only closed between Earls Court & Edgware Road. It will still run to all other destinations FROM earls court. I live in London so I know the underground fairly well.

The venue is a 7-10 min walk from Hammersmith station too

Can anybody help me ? I will be coming in from Newbury Park, which is the best/easiest route to Olympia from there (avoiding buses hopefully) ?

Newbury Park Underground Station

Take the Central Line towards Ealing Broadway Underground Station

or Central Line towards White City Underground Station

Shepherd's Bush (Central Line)

Walk to Shepherds Bush Rail Station

Shepherds Bush Rail Station

Take Overground towards Clapham Junction Rail Station

Kensington (Olympia) Rail Station

Will take around 1h

If you come out of the Warwick Road exit at Earls Court, turn right and keep on walking straight along Warwick Road. When you get to the A315 (Hammersmith road/Kensington high street) turn left and you should see the corner of the Kensington Olympia.

Tbh if you get lost from Olympia station you should never be let out on your own ;)

Tube journey is one stop (about 3mins) once you come out of the station the Arena is right in front of you. Take a left as you come out, cross the road and walk up the road about 50yards and look for the signs for you relevant queue :smile:

• Like 1