Buzz Aldrin signature price list

showmasters

I was all set for Buzz, I knew exactly what I needed and what to pay and then I got a shock at the desk. The post on page 1 with the price list gives :

"APOLLO 11 COMPLETION ARMSTRONG OR ARMSTRONG AND COLLINS £630".

So I presented my pic with Michael Collins on it, and guess what..... oh that'll be a crew completion then because Neil Amstrong is dead.

That, I'm afraid, is not playing the game.

That's probably the most ridiculous thing i ever heard :thumbdown:

It's like going into a famous coffee store, ask for that piece of cake that's left in the window and being charged the whole cake "because other parts are gone anyway, so it's like you're getting the full cake" :rolleyes:

If he's charging a completion for just having Collins then that's pretty outrageous. I wonder if it's Buzz or his sidekicks that think these things up? To turn up with an idea in your head about what you are going to pay, to be told 'actually, it's going to cost hundreds of pounds more', which you can't (or won't) pay, is a truly tragic situation to be left in. This is nothing about the showmasters guys, who put on a terrific weekend, one of the best Autographica's I've been to - I do think it's Buzz's people who put on the squeeze. I could barely afford him, but I really wanted to meet him and get something signed and I'm glad I did. It was really quite frustrating though, standing but a few feet away from him at times during the weekend, thinking of how I'd like to get more signed pictures from him, a picture he could dedicate for my young niece and nephew so they could have something special in years to come, but it wasn't to be. I heard rumours this may be his last ever signing outside the usa, if true it makes meeting him over the weekend special. His photo queue was very long, so I reckon more people took that opportunity than spending on an autograph.

Personally I don't like this 'if you don't like it then don't buy it no one is forcing you to pay' argument - what if you DO want it but just can't afford it? You only had to glance over to Dick Gordon - his queue was huge at times - 30 quid for anything, no add on fees. What a bargain. He signed anything - a bloke even brought a plane's wooden propeller (I think) and got Dick to trace his hand outline on it (I wonder what Buzz charged for that!!). And what was really great was his queue had all sorts, young and old, teenage girls, goths, studenty types, space fanatics, old fellows, a real cross section it seems who were genuinely pleased to meet him - and he to meet them too I may add.

Meeting Buzz was great, a major highlight for me, something I will always remember - but yep, those fee's sure leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

My first post on here so "hi everyone"!

First and foremost, thanks to the organisers for putting on a great show. There is very little opportunity, if any, of us meeting these people in our normal lives so big 'ups' to them for making this happen.

I was due to attend on Saturday but we had a drama with our elderley next door neighbour (locked herself in her utility room until we heard her TV still on at 1.30am!) but I digress!

Came on Sunday with the express mission of meeting the four Apollo astronauts. Couldn't believe I was in the same room!

Charlie Duke was his usual smiley and happy self and didn't mind at all shaking hands and posing with people who didn't even buy his autograph. He also had to tolerate possibly the worst joke I have EVER heard by some guy who asked him "Why are there no pubs on the Moon? Because there's no atmosphere!". Groan!

Dick Gordon was exactly as I had heard him to be, very jolly and very friendly.

Edgar Mitchell was quiet but still happy to pose for photos.

Now the not so good! I heard that Buzz Aldrin was on good form on the Saturday, but that was not the case on Sunday. Having paid £280 for a signature and mission my wife had difficulty with the camera and didn't manage to get a photo of me shaking his hand. When I approached him again a few minutes later to ask if we could have another try, his minders simply said "No". I said even though I had paid £280 he wasn't prepared to shake hands again?. The answer was still no!

I should say that it wasn't Buzz who said this but his minders. Horror stories about 'completions' abound and I have read elsewhere on this forum that his minders were over the top and money grasping. I'm not sure I would go that far, but I do think think this was unreasonable. I didn't push in and waited for his queue to be dealt with before asking. My wife was NOT impressed!

I also saw Buzz texting on his mobile with guests stood in front of him waiting for items to be signed. Okay if you're doing it for free, not okay if you're charging!

I have also seen on this forum for this and previous Autographicas that guests are entitled to refuse to shake hands, pose for photos etc if they choose. Whilst I agree with this to a point, I also think that, as they are charging for their signatures, a little respect would not be too much to ask for. There is an oft spoken view that, as all we are paying for is a signature, that's all we have a right to expect. However, if you go to a restaurant and order food, you don't expect to have to go and collect it from the kitchen yourself! There was once a theory that if you paid someone to sign something you should be able to demand all sorts. I don't agree with that either and there need to be limits and those limits need to be reasonable. Guests should, of course, be treated with respect at all times, but that works both ways. I did not feel respected by Buzz's minders. I've heard rumours that this will be his last attendance at Autographica UK and, if many of the comments on this forum are true, that is probably for the best.

Rant over! Loved the show, love the items I got and am looking forward to Autographica 2013 (in London hopefully!). Gene Cernan, Dave Scott, Scott Carpenter and Al Worden...please!!!!

Edited by Spaceman

Okay, this has come to the point where the mods can not let this go on anymore.

I don't like to step in and clean up. But as it's been pointed out, the crew are volunteers. They do one hell of a job, voluntarily, trying to make the whole event a pleasant experience for everyone. If you have a complaint about a specific crew member please go and address this at the show. Any reports will be taken seriously. If in doubt please find the tall gentleman known as TooTall. He is the head of crew and will listen to yóu.

I'm afraid posting negative comments about the crew in general after the event is not going to improve the situation one bit.