Parking at the hotel / disabled discount?

Spill

We intend to attend this event (my other half is insanely addicted to the LOTR Online game), but in our motorcaravan, which is more convenient for us as it carries her mobility scooter.

We can easily find a local camp site, but would parking be a problem at the hotel?

I can see (google earth) a few car parks around town, but there would be cost and access issues.

Also, as mentioned above, she is disabled, is there a discount for disabled/carers?

Cheers

Spill

Thanks for the advice.

I had to google to get the hotel's email address, as the link on your home page doesn't work.

They have assured me that they 'have a car parking facilities'.

TBH that doesn't reassure me, but I will be taking the email to wave at people if they complain.

Hopefully see you there.

Spill

Edited by Spill

Since there has been no reply from 'Too Tall', I am assuming we both have to pay top whack (well, standard, actually).

Pity, as most events make some reduction for carers of disabled guests (visitors). (Even the BBC at Cardiff earlier this year.)

Still, worth a try. This will not affect our decision to go - see you there.

Spill

You're better off calling the hotel directly, I dont think it's anything that Too Tall or any SM staff can answer. I haven't stayed there for a few years but in previous years the parking was actually free for residents. However, spaces were very limited and I ended up having to park on the grass rather than a dedicated parking space and I honestly dont think there'd be space for a caravan.

Regarding a reply from Too Tall about disabled facilities, there has been an event over the weekend in Glasgow so I would assume that Too Tall is involved in that. Please give him a little while longer to reply. I also understand that there are sometimes issues with emails getting to the showmasters email address so please do try again if you don't get a reply as they may not have received it.

Edited by jael001

Thanks for your concern. I did contact the hotel direct and their reply is above. Ours is not a caravan, it is a (admittedly large) campervan, so grass shouldn't be a problem.

That's a good idea about Too Tall, I shall delay my booking a bit longer - there should be enough time.

I saw that you'd emailed the hotel and got a standard answer but I think calling them rather than emailing them would give you a better idea of the amount of space available and if they think they can accommodate a campervan. The grassy area is quite small and could only fit a few cars.

car parking is free for all attendees of the event, whether your staying at the hotel or not I have been to many events at this hotel over the years and this has always been the case for everyone. despite google maps there is plenty of car parking for pretty much everyone.

Plus I live in this town, if you need any advise about getting about the town just ask.

Edited by trekkiefan

Yes parking is free, but according to the website there are only 120 parking spaces which isn't nearly enough if the convention sells as many tickets as hoped. Can you please tell us what other parking is available close by and free?

The only time the car park was full for a event (that I've seen) was for the first twilight event in which over 800 people turned up, it's highly unlikely that number is ever going to turn up for this event (unless they get a rare guest). Alot of cars do and are allowed to park on the grassy areas as well if there are few spaces. There is no other free parking in the area for about a mile except on Sunday in which it's free to park anywhere across town. There is however disabled parking outside the hotel all around the fish market (building next door) for those who can use them.

• Like 1

The carpark was pretty much full to overflowing during the last Hub in April most of the weekend with cars parked all along the exit road as well (and that wasn't a huge con) but I didn't hear of anyone not being able to park over the weekend so hopefully you will be ok.

Ah - a further reply from the hotel (despite us telling them in the original email that we were not staying there):

There was a little bit of misunderstanding regarding car parking as we were thinking you are staying with us on those dates.

I am afraid car parking for non-residents works as pay and display, however due to health and safety reason we wont be able to accommodate your mobile home.

So - next door it is then.