Newbie with hotel question

amelone

Hi, everyone! I'm going to HW4 as my first con experience ever, and I'm so excited! I'm going by myself from Norway, so I'm a bit nervous too...

I am in the process of deciding where to stay - I was hoping to travel on Thursday and go back Monday so I won't miss anything, but don't know if the convention rates apply for such an "extended" weekend?

Does anybody have any suggestions to where I should stay? Is part of the experience to stay at the Radisson, or does anyone know of other nearby hotels?

Any other ideas or information for a first timer is greatly appreciated ;)

Hi there, firstly i am sure you will have a great time, everyone is really friendly and you wont be on your own for long, you'll meet people in the parties and queues so dont worry.

As far as the hotel goes most of the fans will be staying at the Radisson as its more convenient (the parties go on till late) and if your on your own and not staying there it would mean getting a taxi or walking across the road late at night otherwise. The hotel will have a reduced rate for a single room (you get a double anyway as they dont actually have single beds at the hotel) or you could try asking on here for a room mate if your on your own and share the cost of the hotel if you wish. I am not sure about the thursday night if the rate is reduced or not but you could try asking.

See you there.

I just wanted to say add that I did that last year, but the prices are enormous for the extra Thursday (so be warned)... I also had to check out the next day and check in again on Fridaymorning (at the same time of course) for the con rate (and I could simply stay in the same room). No worries there.

I intended to do it again this year, because it's much more relaxed. But due to my finances I think I will just come in on Friday instead. On the plus side, you won't be the only one that's early, so you can look around a bit and have day of rest before all the crazy starts :P. And you will have a chance to meet some other congoers before by just walking in the hall ways. Oh, and that's another thing... I saw Charisma Carpenter in the hallway before the con started :D. Another plus side, haha.

(btw, I still have to book a room at this point, lol)

Ouch, the room rate just doubled for that one extra night... Hopefully it's worth it to get the extra day of non-stress and hey, meeting people! (And meeting Nick Brendon in the halls wouldn't be a bad start to HW4, haha). Oh how I'm looking forward to this! :)