a con on a 'reasonably priced' budget?

wheel29

It's a while since my con days! so for those more up-to-date can you do a convention on any sort of reasonable budget?

after ticket and Fri/Sat stay at Hilton I mean

In my younger attending days these events would easilly set back £500+ - (ganted I saved up all year round to do maybe 2 or 3 (located in delears mostly - trying to pick what to take home - as they were most only source of sci-fi things for me not living near a suitable store

budgetting for one with 8 weeks or so notice a bit different though - want to make sure I have a fab time but still sensible on budget and stuff

-hmm like it cons can come with rodeos (cool!!!) then yes very different

It depends what you want to do at the event.

If you're getting a silver or gold ticket and won't want much in the way of extras then you shouldn't have too spend much more beyond your hotel and ticket as they include so much. You can get cheapish food at the nearby NEC (eg Subway) or across the monorail at the airport.

If you want lots of extra autographs and / or photos then it will start to mount up.

But my experience of ME events (through the Chevron events) is that extra autographs and any group photos on offer are reasonably priced.

The worst 'risk' is the dealers. At the Chevron events they have a good mix of dealers, selling nice stuff and that's where I have to restrain myself if on a budget!

I think a Silver ticket is the best priced one. For Gold, you do get the meet and greet and you are able to sit closer to the stage, but those things I'm not to bothered about.

The food and drink can be quite dear, it is the Hilton!, so taking lots of your own is a good idea. Sometimes they have cheaper food for the convention goers, great if you are not fussy!

Don't forget to add parking charges if driving.

As Girlingray said it's the extra autos, photos and merchandise that can leave my purse a little empty!

Been to lots of Chevrons and they are well orgaised and fun!