Any chance of getting E L James as a guest author

shabzk7

Rhianydd-yes it is..i totally agree-its appropriate..Holly-im sure she can edit ;) + Gillianre,no???why???i think she would complete this convention :)

The books are awful - take the rude bits out and not much left to them, have a FanFic corner and stick her in it. Good as FanFic, not good as "real" books.

• Like 3

I personally think it would be a really bad move, her books are deffo 18+ where as Twilight is family friendly, plus she has no credibility as an author really, the writing is bad and she's piggy backed off someone else's story. Here isn't the place for rants lol, but as an avid book reader and a fan of writing, the fact these books are SO popular upsets me lol

• Like 3

I have to say no, no and then closely followed by a great big NO. Yes it was originally a twilight fanfiction but it's definitely an 18+. Also if you take all the rude bits out it would just say "Oh baby" and "he cocked his head to the side and would probably even bore the 50 lovers to death. There is an EL James signing on London so if you want to meet her may I suggest you go to that instead of making those of us who dont partically like 50 Shades or the author who loves to now tell people how much she dislikes Twilight shrivel up and die of boredom.

• Like 3

i think it would be a brillaint idea, maybe just to have her sign copys im sure ME could take a percentage of the price to sign the book im sure they would agree to ask her. i would get all three books signed over then the twilight saga the 50 shades trilogy is my fav. i adore the books. i dont care if people think she's got fame over someones else's idea's. im sure there's been rumors about over books stealing ideas including twilight.

It's not rumored book stealing though, it's fully fledged fanfic. I'm a total advocate of fan fic if it creates stories and starts imagination, however a book based on a book shouldn't be allowed to be published as a story in it's own right IMO. There are so many imaginative, fantastic stories out there begging to be read with good prose and decent grammar. The fact these books are SO popular is a travesty to real literature

EDIT: I also have to wander how many people would want Christian Gray if he worked in Asda and was average looking? Or if they'd think his treatment of Ana is as appalling as it is.

Edited by Talie
  • Like 1

As a 16 year old that decided to see what the hype was about, picked it up, read a paragraph, didn't understand why pleasure would be taken with such a thing, put it down and RAN, I say a polite NO THANK YOU! :) I agree on the fact that it was a twilight fanfic.

Oh, and if she was announced, my mum would probably refuse to take me as she hates that thing with a passion ahaha, so for the sake of my attendance, no! XD

• Like 2

It's not rumored book stealing though, it's fully fledged fanfic. I'm a total advocate of fan fic if it creates stories and starts imagination, however a book based on a book shouldn't be allowed to be published as a story in it's own right IMO. There are so many imaginative, fantastic stories out there begging to be read with good prose and decent grammar. The fact these books are SO popular is a travesty to real literature

EDIT: I also have to wander how many people would want Christian Gray if he worked in Asda and was average looking? Or if they'd think his treatment of Ana is as appalling as it is.

I totally agree! It's not even a vague similarity to the story, it's the fanfic republished with a find and replace on the names.

As an avid reader of fic (and as a writer), it pains me to see such a poor author get so much money and fame. *steps off soapbox before rant proper can start*

• Like 1

I would like her to be a guest author, i would think it would be quite cool.

I'm not bothered where the story came from personally and its nice to see someone make some money out of "fanfiction" writing.

Each to their own of course - i really enjoyed the books.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is no discussion on this topic.

It doesn't matter whether you want her to come or not, whether you like her books or not, whether you essentially think she profited from someone else's work and is glorifying an abusive relationship - or not.

It is (badly written) erotic fiction and the Eternal Twilight conventions are family-friendly. Her books are not appropriate for all ages and therefore she cannot possibly come and discuss/read any of it at ET8.

comments in bold represent post author's opinions

• Like 3